Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinsanity89

Feb 2, 2014
This looks about right both eye-test and stats-wise.

Leafs GAR leaders:

Jake Muzzin - 6.3
Auston Matthews - 3.3
Ilya Mikheyev - 2.5
William Nylander - 2.0
Andreas Johnsson - 1.8

Mitch Marner has -1.0, Morgan Rielly has -0.8, and Tyson Barrie has -3.6

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
In your opinion..... there are also several people on this board who would tell you that it is completely true

Its not an opinion. Just because you say that Marner is the only winger getting 11M doesn't make it true.

1) Marner's AAV is < 11M
2) There is this Russian guy named Panarin that gets nearly 750K more :nod:

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Its not an opinion. Just because you say that Marner is the only winger getting 11M doesn't make it true.

1) Marner's AAV is < 11M
2) There is this Russian guy named Panarin that gets nearly 750K more :nod:
Reread my post. I stated pretty clearly that we are the only team paying that money to a player who can’t score.... I think he is on pace for 21.... wow
And yes, you’re right, there is one player (a ufa) making more.... so it is justified now I guess

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Reread my post. I stated pretty clearly that we are the only team paying that money to a player who can’t score.... I think he is on pace for 21.... wow
And yes, you’re right, there is one player (a ufa) making more.... so it is justified now I guess

Lol. Now you’re twisting your own, blatantly false statement

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If I had the same loose relationship with the truth as you I'd not be so quick to call other people liars, Buddy.

I encourage you to freshen up on the forum rules:
Posting Rules:
1) Flaming: Critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks against members are not permitted. Report flaming, do not respond to it. Counter-flaming is also prohibited.

If you ever see me post anything that is a blatant lie, feel free to call it out. All I was doing was calling out a blatantly false statement.

Its important to hold people accountable for their words IMO, but there is a line where you shouldn't go ahead and call out the poster themselves, just their statements/opinions.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
This looks about right both eye-test and stats-wise.

Leafs GAR leaders:

Jake Muzzin - 6.3
Auston Matthews - 3.3
Ilya Mikheyev - 2.5
William Nylander - 2.0
Andreas Johnsson - 1.8

Mitch Marner has -1.0, Morgan Rielly has -0.8, and Tyson Barrie has -3.6
Curious where Ceci is and does this include all situations?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Go back and read it

I did.

You state the following:

And is a much much more valuable player.
We are the only team in the league paying a winger (who clearly does not drive his line or score goals) $11 million a year

The bolded is blatantly false for several reasons... I'll try to be more clear this time...

1) We are not paying a winger $11 million a year.
2) Marner does clearly have the ability to drive his line, as shown with Tavares out, and when he played with Kadri.
3) Leafs aren't the only team paying a winger in the neighbourhood of 11M. The rangers have Panarin who isn't as good as Marner.

Panarin also isn't a significantly better goal scorer. Panarin's career high is 31. Marner's is 26... which he got as a 21 year old...

Do you now see the issues with your statement?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I did.

You state the following:

The bolded is blatantly false for several reasons... I'll try to be more clear this time...

1) We are not paying a winger $11 million a year.
2) Marner does clearly have the ability to drive his line, as shown with Tavares out, and when he played with Kadri.
3) Leafs aren't the only team paying a winger in the neighbourhood of 11M. The rangers have Panarin who isn't as good as Marner.

Panarin also isn't a significantly better goal scorer. Panarin's career high is 31. Marner's is 26... which he got as a 21 year old...

Do you now see the issues with your statement?

this is hilariously pedantic coming from a poster who routinely calls people out for saying Nylander earns $6.9M and usually calls him a $7M player. He earns $7,000 less than $11M that is an $11M player if we are going to hold the same standards as have been argued in Nylanders discussion

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
this is hilariously pedantic coming from a poster who routinely calls people out for saying Nylander earns $6.9M and usually calls him a $7M player. He earns $7,000 less than $11M that is an $11M player if we are going to hold the same standards as have been argued in Nylanders discussion

Its simple rounding.

6.962 rounds to 7, not 6.9.

Using Nylander's comparable, 10.893 rounds to 10.9 not 11....

Its weird that this has to be explained.

How is 10.893M only $7000 less than 11M?

edit: You'd have a point if I was calling Marner a 10.8M player, but I'm not, nor have I ever done that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There I am, all wrong again. It's amazing how confirmation bias works sometimes.

He is now the TOP player in the league on takeaways, a full 4 clear of second. This is one of the glaring problems with the critics, they're just ignoring what doesn't suit their "narratives". Marner was very effective last night, the 5 takeaways aren't an accident, it's a testament to working your goddam ass off.

Again TOPS in the league on a pure hustle category.
I'd say that in Marner's case, it's a testament to terrific hockey IQ more than anything. He gets a lot of those takeaways by reading the play and jumping in just at the right moment.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Its simple rounding.

edit: You'd have a point if I was calling Marner a 10.8M player, but I'm not, nor have I ever done that.
:popcorn:

Reactions: axlrose87

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Its simple rounding.

yeah that’s my bad for some reason I thought it was $10.993M and was basing the rounding off of that.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think it's usually better to use away stats for takeaways though, as the rink biases can be something enormous.

ive noticed some of marners passes have been way off what we expect of him so far this early season. Players having to stretch to receive a pass and can’t do anything but knock it forward. He passed to Mikheyev and he stretched tapped it and the kings took it away, In That scenario who gets the give away against? It’s harsh on Mikheyev but at the same time marner didn’t truly give it away? Or is just not counted as a give away maybe?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner will go on a tear here right away and the rest will follow. He wants and will lead the team in scoring again!! Right now he is trailing Matthews. Let the inside competition begin ;)

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Two more takeaways last night for the league leader, Panarin, O’Reilly, Stone next...not bad company.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Can we all take a minute to appreciate that the marner tavares and Hyman line of last year is about to be back?

They’ve been a shell of what they were last year without the puck hound that is Hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad