Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Our $11M man needs an elite centre as well as another good, physical player on the wing in order for him to produce and succeed.

Franchise player material right there.
You find that quite often in team sports.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
These boards turning on Marner like they have with Nylander has just sucked the fun out of coming here for me. For all the contract negotiations, flaws, and part they play in systemic issues, I still love these boys just as I love the team.

I'm not here as much anymore. I do come on to read and write a few posts at times. When I do, I keep wondering when we stopped just being fans discussing hockey? When did this place become a place where everybody is crusading against the thing they hate with the team? Passion doesn't need to be toxic. Fandom doesn't need to be defined by it's worst quality.

I'm pretty sure Marner being $1M+ overpaid has ruined some people's ability to enjoy watching the Leafs. How sad is that?

Folks on here take the off the off ice business side of things way too seriously/personally

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Our $11M man needs an elite centre as well as another good, physical player on the wing in order for him to produce and succeed.

Franchise player material right there.

On pace for 93 points while playing with kerfoot as his center.

Maybe stop with these terrible takes? Or continue and look foolish. Your choice.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
These boards turning on Marner like they have with Nylander has just sucked the fun out of coming here for me. For all the contract negotiations, flaws, and part they play in systemic issues, I still love these boys just as I love the team.

I'm not here as much anymore. I do come on to read and write a few posts at times. When I do, I keep wondering when we stopped just being fans discussing hockey? When did this place become a place where everybody is crusading against the thing they hate with the team? Passion doesn't need to be toxic. Fandom doesn't need to be defined by it's worst quality.

I'm pretty sure Marner being $1M+ overpaid has ruined some people's ability to enjoy watching the Leafs. How sad is that?

We all knew it was coming the moment we heard rumblings he wanted these insane figures. He had an entire summer to realize the blowback he’d get if he insisted on getting overpaid. No one wins when he takes an extra slice of the pie. Not him, not the team, not the fans. Everyone knew it. He simply brought this upon himself.

Like it or not, this is a cap world and he’s part of a team, and that involves being a good team member both on AND off the ice. If you want to be a greedy kid with no regard for others, go play tennis.

Sorry. This “woe is me” shtick doesn’t fly with me.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
We all knew it was coming the moment we heard rumblings he wanted these insane figures. He had an entire summer to realize the blowback he’d get if he insisted on getting overpaid. No one wins when he takes an extra slice of the pie. Not him, not the team, not the fans. Everyone knew it. He simply brought this upon himself.

Like it or not, this is a cap world and he’s part of a team, and that involves being a good team member both on AND off the ice. If you want to be a greedy kid with no regard for others, go play tennis.

Sorry. This “woe is me” shtick doesn’t fly with me.

How can you feel bad for someone when they are making millions at the expense of others? Clearly they were being to selfish. That goes for all 3

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
How can you feel bad for someone when they are making millions at the expense of others? Clearly they were being to selfish. That goes for all 3

No one needs to feel bad for them. I find it laughable when people say “it’s done with. Let bygones be bygones.” I certainly would’ve preferred if the 3 youngsters had taken less, and if THEY were the ones to let bygones be bygones.

And no one is saying they’ll be criticized forever. Why don’t they go and win a cup. I assure them the criticism will end when they actually do something.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

Funny.

You’re upset that leaf fans are upset at the unprecedented dramatic overpayments.

But I’M upset at the unprecedented overpayments themselves.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
No one needs to feel bad for them. I find it laughable when people say “it’s done with. Let bygones be bygones.” I certainly would’ve preferred if the 3 youngsters had taken less, and if THEY were the ones to let bygones be bygones.

And no one is saying they’ll be criticized forever. Why don’t they go and win a cup. I assure them the criticism will end when they actually do something.
I think that leafs management will eventually realize that it's best for everyone to trade Marner.
Best for the fans (more people seem to dislike him then like him).
Best for the team. He is very overpaid and they can fill holes with that money and the returned assets. I also worry that he is resented by teammates who now have to settle for less or leave town to get paid.
Best for Marner. He will never be able to do right in Toronto again. Too many people see him as a spoiled, entitled brat.... and they might be right.
I predict he will be traded in the summer.... and he brought it on himself.
To be honest, I think he signed his ticket out of town the day he signed that contract.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think that leafs management will eventually realize that it's best for everyone to trade Marner.
Best for the team. He is very overpaid and they can fill holes with that money and the returned assets. I also worry that he is resented by teammates who now have to settle for less or leave town to get paid.
Best for Marner. He will never be able to do right in Toronto again. Too many people see him as a spoiled, entitled brat.... and they might be right.
To be honest, I think he signed his ticket out of town the day he signed that contract.
You and waffles can now enjoy my ignore list. It is a highly esteemed list for people who know jack shit about the leafs.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Marner is about to heat up in a big way. You can see it. He’s always been a slow starter, but people forget about the first Q of the season real quick. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Marner has still produced despite his “slow” start. He’s a tremendous player.

Any GM should listen to all trade offers, but Marner isn’t going anywhere, and if Dubas trades him he should be fired on the spot. He is a very special player. Nylander is clearly the one who should be dealt.

Reactions: lipstickjunkie

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Mitch has looked like good old Mitch at times, so I'm not concerned about his point totals and overall offensive contribution. But its things like his phantom passes to nobody which result in turnovers, and the power play a few games ago where he got embarrassingly robbed in our own end which resulted in a gaol. Stuff like this results in a negative +-. It doesn't matter if you are on pace for 200 points if you give 225 back. That's not helping the team.

Last edited:

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Mitch has looked like good old Mitch at times, so I'm not concerned about his point totals and overall offensive contribution. But its things like his phantom passes to nobody which result in turnovers, and the power play a few games ago where he got embarrassingly robbed in our own end which resulted in a gaol. Stuff like this results in a negative +-. It doesn't matter if you are on pace for 200 points if you give 225 back. That's not helping the team.

So because he's playing with two players he normally doesn't play with, you're wondering why his passes aren't connecting? It's almost like there are these things called practices where linemates work together to set up plays. How well would Pastrnak be doing on a line without Bergeron and Marchand?

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner is about to heat up in a big way. You can see it. He’s always been a slow starter, but people forget about the first Q of the season real quick. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Marner has still produced despite his “slow” start. He’s a tremendous player.

Any GM should listen to all trade offers, but Marner isn’t going anywhere, and if Dubas trades him he should be fired on the spot. He is a very special player. Nylander is clearly the one who should be dealt.
We have 3 UFA D next year and no goalies the year after that. Something needs to happen.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Last year:
16 points in 12 games in October
20 points in 14 games in November
That is a 113 point pace.

Slow starter??????????????

Reactions: biotk and Menzinger

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

Please tell me this is satire.

You do realize Matthew's makes more money and for less term right?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Last year:
16 points in 12 games in October
20 points in 14 games in November
That is a 113 point pace.

Slow starter??????????????

Points by the 20 game mark;
Rookie year: 16 points
2nd year: 13 points
3rd year: 26 points

4th year (current): 17 points in 15 games

Seems like he is a little slow starting in his 2nd year but the rookie one is pretty close to his season pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad