Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The title is a quote and frankly this is not worth the energy. Believe what you want.

No, the title is not a quote. It is paraphrasing.

This is the quote from that article:

"I don't know why that's a surprise," Dubas said. "I've been on the record as saying that ... it's our intention to have him here as long as we're here. He’s an excellent young player. I don’t think we want to get in the business of not having excellent young players so that’s how we feel about it."

The issue is that we don't even know the question that Dubas is responding to in this case because the article never states it. It's very difficult to gauge exactly what the meaning of a quote is when the quote is "I don't know why that's a surprise. I've been on the record as saying that." and we don't know what the word "that" refers to.

Here is the more telling quote from Nylander:

"Kyle has told me multiple times that as long as he’s here he’s not going to trade me"

Full quote can be found in this article here: Nylander: Dubas said he won't trade me as long as he's Maple Leafs GM

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Marner will get paid, but there is a 0% chance of any offer sheet being signed. Toronto born kid, bleeds blue and white.

Money talks

If the Leafs are low balling him and another team gives him an offer sheet that's at or above his perceived market value, there's no way he doesn't sign it.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Literally the first thing that comes up...…

https://www.tsn.ca/dubas-to-nylander-as-long-as-i-m-here-you-won-t-be-traded-1.1220400

Tell me how quotes work again? I think you got the theory down, just need some practice.

Maybe I am not seeing something you are. The first part says In his first session with the Toronto media since signing a new contract, William Nylander revealed that general manager Kyle Dubas pledged to him on multiple occasions that as long as he's running the Maple Leafs, the Swede won't be traded. I don't see any quotes that start with Dubas says or ends with Dubas said.

Nylander can't be that dumb where he thinks he will never be traded. Hockey is a business for both players, owner and execs.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Maybe I am not seeing something you are. The first part says In his first session with the Toronto media since signing a new contract, William Nylander revealed that general manager Kyle Dubas pledged to him on multiple occasions that as long as he's running the Maple Leafs, the Swede won't be traded. I don't see any quotes that start with Dubas says or ends with Dubas said.

Nylander can't be that dumb where he thinks he will never be traded. Hockey is a business for both players, owner and execs.

If I am mistaken that there is no direct quote from Dubas saying those exact words I humbly apologize.

That this is such an issue shows how badly people need wins on HF. Let's just say then that Nylander believes he's been assured he won't be traded and Dubas has not contradicted him. Regardless he should never have said it and it will be messy now if he does trade Nylander. These petty details people want gold stars for do not change that at all.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If I am mistaken that there is no direct quote from Dubas saying those exact words I humbly apologize.

That this is such an issue shows how badly people need wins on HF. Let's just say then that Nylander believes he's been assured he won't be traded and Dubas has not contradicted him. Regardless he should never have said it and it will be messy now if he does trade Nylander. These petty details people want gold stars for do not change that at all.
Dubas should have said that the way Brian Burke talked about how he did not want to trade Tomas Kaberle. He use to say he didn't want to trade him, however he said if another GM called and asked about trading for Kaberle he would listen to what the offer would be.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He'll get Matthews money, give or take a little more or a little less, I don't think it's too much left to debate. No way he is playing for any team other than the Leafs next season

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dubas should have said that the way Brian Burke talked about how he did not want to trade Tomas Kaberle. He use to say he didn't want to trade him, however he said if another GM called and asked about trading for Kaberle he would listen to what the offer would be.
Yup, "we love Willy and hope he is a Leaf a long time, but this is a business..."

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So the Toronto kid that grew up a Leafs fan is going to sign an offer sheet with Montreal or the New Jersey Devils (who aren't very good)?

You realize he actually needs to sign and potentially move to those teams, right?

Those are the only two teams that could offer the money and not risk a lottery pick. I am aware he would have to sign it. He could absolutely receive the offer and use it as a negotiation tool.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not signing Matthews 8 years in the summer when the ask was lower is going to go down as the biggest mistake in modern Leafs history.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
What was the ask?

12 x 8 in the summer according to Friedman.

The ask then apparently rose to being close to 14 on an 8 year term after Matthews hot start to the season.

www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-auston-matthews-extension-game-changer-nhl/sn-amp/

12 x 8 would by no means have been a bargain, but it would have aged nicely and set a good internal ceiling for Marner.

It's not that far off from Eichel's 10M when cap inflation is accounted for. It's still above it, but not be as much as it would seem. Similarly, it is not quite as close to McDavid as it would seem again due to cap inflation.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Once Burke had traded Kaberle during the 2011 season I don't remember the media saying how he never wanted to trade him, so I think Dubas should get the same treatment if he ever did trade Nylander.
Yeah but Kaberle did not stress how he was reassured. That being said, he did not get a NTC for some reason. It's all a bit odd.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
12 x 8 in the summer according to Friedman.

The ask then apparently rose to being close to 14 on an 8 year term after Matthews hot start to the season.

www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-auston-matthews-extension-game-changer-nhl/sn-amp/

12 x 8 would by no means have been a bargain, but it would have aged nicely and set a good internal ceiling for Marner.

It's not that far off from Eichel's 10M when cap inflation is accounted for. It's still above it, but not be as much as it would seem. Similarly, it is not quite as close to McDavid as it would seem again due to cap inflation.
Go back and read it again. Nothing in there suggests Matthews was willing to sign 12x8..... just stated that he was always willing to go max term.... but we all knew that.
I think you spend too much time trying to figure out how a very well built team and organization is going to meet their demise.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Go back and read it again. Nothing in there suggests Matthews was willing to sign 12x8..... just stated that he was always willing to go max term.... but we all knew that.
I think you spend too much time trying to figure out how a very well built team and organization is going to meet their demise.

He brings up the 12 million number there in the introduction, and it is something he has also brought up at least once on the 31 Thoughts podcast. It's very difficult to dig up the exact podcast (they really should post transcripts), but I would assume it is from shortly after the signing.

"Maybe Toronto should have snared Matthews before the season at $12 million/year. Matthews was willing to go the maximum term, and the Maple Leafs certainly didn’t object, but when he busted out to that huge start, the number got too high — probably close to $14 million. Toronto wants to make multiple runs at greatness, and that number would crush the roster."

That is what it says in the listed column. Again, he talks about the exact same thing on his podcast. I get that it's not as clear there that he is saying "I heard Matthews was willing to sign for 12", in the actual podcast he talks about how there was a specific number in play (pretty sure 12), and the Leafs just weren't willing to do it, then when Matthews started the season hot the number completely changed.

Again, can't say which specific podcast it is, but if you're interested in hearing it just find one from right after Matthews signed, it is probably that one.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

I agree Dubas shouldn't have said anything if anything was even said. I don't know about you but have you seen Nylander play? Dude can't even hit the ocean and he's getting paid how much? The Leafs paid him and Nylander hasn't even been playing since his huge pay day. See ya later Nylander!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I agree Dubas shouldn't have said anything if anything was even said. I don't know about you but have you seen Nylander play? Dude can't even hit the ocean and he's getting paid how much? The Leafs paid him and Nylander hasn't even been playing since his huge pay day. See ya later Nylander!
He ended the season back on a 60 pt pace which considering the slow start gives cause for hope. I agree though, I think his days are numbered.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
He ended the season back on a 60 pt pace which considering the slow start gives cause for hope. I agree though, I think his days are numbered.

I was huge defender of Nylander but from outside point of view I was thoroughly disappointed with the long drown out negotiations. The Leafs gave him the money, money any of us would dream about and has given them nothing since.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
It's funny.... since Matthews completely took over this series and showed everyone why he is the leafs best player (and will continue to be their highest paid) this thread falls to page 3

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Here's why gloating about Mitch Marner's expensive contract doesn't make sense for leafs haters.

It doesn't matter.

Mitch Marner is a Toronto Maple Leaf.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad