Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
It's true.

I'd offer Marner 9 as a starting offer and be comfortable going into the high 9s.

If it's 11+ million to get it done, I tell him to shop for offer sheets. It might blow up in your face, but they can't afford to pay him that money with Marleau here.

I think he ends up between 10-10.5 on a 4 or 5 year deal. I think 6 is optimal for the leafs, but that's going to cost closer to 11.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
he's getting $11 -$11.5 for 5 years. there's no way he takes less after what matthews got.

Yep.

If offer sheets are an actual thing, their options will be to give Marner the Matthews deal, trade Marner, or trade Matthews.

Trading Matthews doesn't mean Marner takes less, but it's one of the options to solve the problem of not feeling they are able to pay all three big forward stars.

It's not me suggesting it either, it's just an option.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Lets look back! They took the caps the best team in the east to game 6 in which 5 games went to overtime, they took Boston to game 7 in back to back years where it could have went either way. Pretty good for a team that literally blew it up in season 2015-2016. The sky is the limit for this young team that is learning how to win and the habs are where?

The Habs missed the playoffs.....barely.....and the two teams that finished just ahead of them? They are currently in the second round. The gap isn’t as large as you make it out to be. I would argue that a Leafs team without Marner would have finished below the Habs. Add Marner to the Habs from the leafs and the the positions could have been flipped around.

As for future.....our prospect pool
Is currently brighter and deeper than the leafs

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
Lets look back! They took the caps the best team in the east to game 6 in which 5 games went to overtime, they took Boston to game 7 in back to back years where it could have went either way. Pretty good for a team that literally blew it up in season 2015-2016. The sky is the limit for this young team that is learning how to win and the habs are where?

The cap is the limit not the sky...
And Dumbass already f***ed it up with the deals he handed to Mathews and Nylander....

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Easy big fella, the Leafs finished a whopping 4 pts up on the Habs, and the Leafs defensively will not be as good next year, as they were this year. The Leafs have serious cap issues coming.

As for MM, his agent and his family will be heavily involved, and he will get at least what AM got....

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The over payment on both the Matthews contract and the Nylander contract means that Dubas really has no choice. He has to overpay Marner as well. You can't ask a guy who has just put up those numbers to sign a team friendly contract after the deals you gave those two.
Personally, I would have locked up Marner long term before this year as you could tell he was about to break out.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The over payment on both the Matthews contract and the Nylander contract means that Dubas really has no choice. He has to overpay Marner as well. You can't ask a guy who has just put up those numbers to sign a team friendly contract after the deals you gave those two.
Personally, I would have locked up Marner long term before this year as you could tell he was about to break out.
It seems Dubas made some mistakes.........even though he seemed to come with some serious accolades. The wildcard in all of this are the kids agents...every team has to deal with it, but these agents seem to be holding a hammer in negotiations with Dubas.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Easy big fella, the Leafs finished a whopping 4 pts up on the Habs, and the Leafs defensively will not be as good next year, as they were this year. The Leafs have serious cap issues coming.

As for MM, his agent and his family will be heavily involved, and he will get at least what AM got....
Dubas should let him walk then. Marner isn't as good as Matthews, plays a less valuable position, and is a play maker as opposed to an elite goal scorer. I highly doubt Dubas goes into the negotiations thinking "welp he has more points so that equals more monies"

And when I say walk I obviously mean "Let him get offersheeted"

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
With all the goings on about Carolina wanting high-end offense at the trade deadline, I wonder if there is a deal to be made for Marner - if the Leafs can't work out something at <=$10-mill.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dubas should let him walk then. Marner isn't as good as Matthews, plays a less valuable position, and is a play maker as opposed to an elite goal scorer. I highly doubt Dubas goes into the negotiations thinking "welp he has more points so that equals more monies"

And when I say walk I obviously mean "Let him get offersheeted"
That would certainly take care of the salary cap issues...

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Were the quotes from Chris Johnston on the Steve Dangle Podcast posted here?

He basically said Toronto will give them their offer before July 1st and if they say no then they'll look to move him or consider not matching an offer sheet. Then said they can use the cap space to run at Panarin or someone. Not willing to go over 11m. Cited Matthews and JT being so expensive because they do the two hardest things at an elite level, play center and score goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad