Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I still think Dubas will use Kucherov's $9.5 million AAV as the benchmark. He signed that after having 100 points last season and this season Marner had 94 points.

Also please don't use the Florida state tax as to why it's not comparable. The only thing Dubas see's is the number Kucherov got and it was $9.5 million AAV contract.

Cool. The only thing Marner sees is his 6.5 in the bank after tax compared to Kuch's 9.5.

Reactions: TSN Jdog

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I don’t understand why things like less tax in Tampa, and cheaper cost of living allows them to lower their players aav. But endorsements in Toronto don’t seem to count for some reason.

When I watch tv in Toronto, I see Marner and/or Nylander in pretty much every other commercial. Doubt it’s like that in Florida. So why isn’t that part of the equation?

Oh, and Rantanen has far more goals and points over the past 2 seasons than Marner, and was a flat out machine the first round of the playoffs.

If Marner makes even one PENNY more than a Rantanen, Dubas should be fired.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I don’t understand why things like less tax in Tampa, and cheaper cost of living allows them to lower their players aav. But endorsements in Toronto don’t seem to count for some reason.

When I watch tv in Toronto, I see Marner and/or Nylander in pretty much every other commercial. Doubt it’s like that in Florida. So why isn’t that part of the equation?

Oh, and Rantanen has far more goals and points over the past 2 seasons than Marner, and was a flat out machine the first round of the playoffs.

If Marner makes even one PENNY more than a Rantanen, Dubas should be fired.

It’s not the NBA... limited off ice money even in Toronto. There are no sneaker contracts.

Reactions: Seanaconda

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I still think Dubas will use Kucherov's $9.5 million AAV as the benchmark. He signed that after having 100 points last season and this season Marner had 94 points.

Also please don't use the Florida state tax as to why it's not comparable. The only thing Dubas see's is the number Kucherov got and it was $9.5 million AAV contract.

That's tough with the Matthews contract.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
If marner doesn't get signed by June 25 and he can be offersheeted. The hurricanes look to be in a good spot to offersheet marner. I think they wanted to add 2 top 6 forwards but only got niederieter. They have a tonne of cap space, a owner willing to shake things up, a bunch of prospects and can probably afford to drop 4 first rounds picks.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008

Kucherov’s contract is basically irrelevant when there are two recently signed players on Toronto that Marner is better than making 11million a year. How did using Kucherov’s deal as a benchmark work in negotiations with Matthews?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kucherov’s contract is basically irrelevant when there are two recently signed players on Toronto that Marner is better than making 11million a year. How did using Kucherov’s deal as a benchmark work in negotiations with Matthews?
I think Dubas mentioned how Matthews was worth what he got because he plays at centre and it's a position that Kucherov does not play.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What about the comparable that Marner and Kucherov are both play at right wing and Matthews plays at centre?

Matthews and Marner are both coming off elc's, they play for the same team, Marner had the better season, Marner should get 8 not 5 years.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews and Marner are both coming off elc's, they play for the same team, Marner had the better season, Marner should get 8 not 5 years.
I agree that Marner had the better season. It's just easier said than done that he should get 8 years instead of the 5 years Matthews signed for.

I don't think you will see any Leafs fans who want Marner to sign for 5 years and I'm one of them.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
I think Dubas mentioned how Matthews was worth what he got because he plays at centre and it's a position that Kucherov does not play.

So despite proving himself to be a superior player, Marner should accept 2m less than Matthews per year because he doesn’t play center? If that’s what Dubas is bringing to the negotiation room I don’t see it going very well.

Reactions: Snowman

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So despite proving himself to be a superior player, Marner should accept 2m less than Matthews per year because he doesn’t play center? If that’s what Dubas is bringing to the negotiation room I don’t see it going very well.
So far there has no rumor of a specific number Marner originally wants the way it was reported that Nylander asked for the $8.5 million AAV which the Oilers gave Leon Draisaitl, which in the end he never got close to. So there is going to have to be give and take from both sides.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Why would Rantanen's agent accept less than Matthews, or Marner for that matter?
Rantanen put up substantially more points and goals the past 2 years, and is having a CRAZY playoffs.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I think the most is around 4 a year with mcdavid Crosby and ovie making the most and then around tenth highest it's around 1 a year. Not great money in endorsements for hockey players.
Are you in Toronto? Marner is on every other commercial. He's all over billboards. He's everywhere. Whatever you're doing in Toronto, Marner is looking at you. Far more than any other player than I can think of.

He's got to be making a shit ton of money. Enough to, at the very least, even up the whole tax in Tampa thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad