Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Maybe if your scouting staff is made up of morons.

Those are just the stats my friend. Most picks outside of the top-10 don't work out, or give you a mostly replaceable mediocre player.

Go ahead and look at the guys taken #10-19 in any draft year. About a 50% bust rate, 25% mediocre players, and 25% actual high end talent.

If it was an easy as just not hiring morons to be in your scouting staff, every team would do it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Mathews was the guy teams (Arizona especially) would target, Marner less so.

The cap situation is really bleak in Toronto there is more needed aside from the Marner signing and if he gives a hometown discount then they will be able to spend on the back end which is an urgent need.

Also how management views the team going forward will depend somewhat on what happens this round and if they get knocked out or not.
Toronto's salary cap going forward is still better than Tampa Bay and Winnipeg. So can we please stop with this false narrative that the Leafs are in trouble with their salary cap already.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Toronto's salary cap going forward is still better than Tampa Bay and Winnipeg. So can we please stop with this false narrative that the Leafs are in trouble with their salary cap already.

It's math not a false narrative.

the Leafs have a 75 miliion cap hit next year and they need to resign Marner and Kapanen, Johnsson as well as resigning or replacing Hainsey and Gardiner on the back end.

that's a huge issue plain and simple, it's math.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Those are just the stats my friend. Most picks outside of the top-10 don't work out, or give you a mostly replaceable mediocre player.

Go ahead and look at the guys taken #10-19 in any draft year. About a 50% bust rate, 25% mediocre players, and 25% actual high end talent.

If it was an easy as just not hiring morons to be in your scouting staff, every team would do it.

Sure the #19-19 don't do as well as the #1-9 but some very good players come in the middle of the first round drafting has gotten better in recent years.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

the Leafs have a 75 miliion cap hit next year and they need to resign Marner and Kapanen, Johnsson as well as resigning or replacing Hainsey and Gardiner on the back end.

So how come someone like Jeff O'Neil had to say enough with the talk of Toronto's salary cap problems and brought up Tampa Bay and Winnipeg being in worse shape. The truth is given the size of the Toronto market is why others brought it up and didn't focus on the cap for Tampa Bay and Winnipeg.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

They have one right year next season bit after that they actually will have more space than almost folks think

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Don't forget they have the second highest scoring forward in the AHL, had the 2nd best Pts/GP dman in the AHL plus Sandin and Liljegren coming along.

Last edited:

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Which team can realistically offer sheet Marner "4 firsts"?

If I'm the leafs I trade one of Matthews or Tavares.

Only two teams I could see doing it
1. Habs, will have about 19 million in cap space no major RFA's or UFA's. Only misse playoffs this year by 3 points. Im sure Marner plus our very young forward core gaining a year of experience could get the Habs to over 100 points.
2. New Jersey, they may have been terrible this year but adding Marner and Hughes while already having Hischier and Hall would make them a playoff team.

Reactions: Blowfish

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Can you give me a link to Dubas giving his idiotic " As long as I'm GM of the Maple Leafs Nylander will not be traded" speech? Specifically the part where he says the exact phrase "As long as I'm GM of the Maple Leafs Nylander will not be traded" word for word, considering you've quoted it. I must have just missed that press conference.
It happened, sadly.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
So how come someone like Jeff O'Neil had to say enough with the talk of Toronto's salary cap problems and brought up Tampa Bay and Winnipeg being in worse shape. The truth is given the size of the Toronto market is why others brought it up and didn't focus on the cap for Tampa Bay and Winnipeg.
Because 90% of this thread is just leaf haters doing their thing.
Explaining to leaf fans of their impending doom with all these superstars they have.
The leafs salary structure will be fine.
There will be no marner offsheet.
The leafs will sign him and field one of the best teams in the league next year and for many years to come.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Discover google.

You're the one saying it happened.

Spoiler: Dubas has never actually said the exact string of words in that quote.

Here's the actual quote:

"It's our intention to have him here as long as we're here...I don’t think we want to get in the business of not having excellent young players so that’s how we feel about it"

That's how a quote works, you use the actual words the person said instead of inventing lies to fit your garbage narrative. I don't see "will not be traded" anywhere in that quote.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You're the one saying it happened.

Spoiler: Dubas has never actually said the exact string of words in that quote.

Here's the actual quote:

"It's our intention to have him here as long as we're here...I don’t think we want to get in the business of not having excellent young players so that’s how we feel about it"

That's how a quote works, you use the actual words the person said instead of inventing lies to fit your garbage narrative. I don't see "will not be traded" anywhere in that quote.
Literally the first thing that comes up...…

https://www.tsn.ca/dubas-to-nylander-as-long-as-i-m-here-you-won-t-be-traded-1.1220400

Tell me how quotes work again? I think you got the theory down, just need some practice.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Marner will get paid, but there is a 0% chance of any offer sheet being signed. Toronto born kid, bleeds blue and white.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
That's not a quote.. that's the title of the article. As in, the writer put that in, not Dubas. Dubas has never said Nylander will not be traded. Please find me any proof that he said "Nylander will not be traded".
The title is a quote and frankly this is not worth the energy. Believe what you want.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Lol, I was thinking the same thing. I just can't honestly see how he would get more than McDavid. But he 100000% deserves more than Matthews. And by a significant margin I would think.
Sorry, I was being facetious. I think the numbers people are throwing out there for marner are ridiculous.
He will fall in line with other wingers.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
The title is a quote and frankly this is not worth the energy. Believe what you want.
No and this is the problem. Lots take the quote and put their own meaning on it. as mentioned earlier the quote was not so cut and dry. The title is the title. The rest of the article has the quotes.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because 90% of this thread is just leaf haters doing their thing.
Explaining to leaf fans of their impending doom with all these superstars they have.
The leafs salary structure will be fine.
There will be no marner offsheet.
The leafs will sign him and field one of the best teams in the league next year and for many years to come.
Just like the way those same people must have been disappointed to see Auston Matthews sign his contract extension, because all they talked about was him signing an offer sheet from the Coyotes. I can't wait until Marner signs his contract extension before July 1, 2019 and can not become an RFA and it means no offer sheet for him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Only two teams I could see doing it
1. Habs, will have about 19 million in cap space no major RFA's or UFA's. Only misse playoffs this year by 3 points. Im sure Marner plus our very young forward core gaining a year of experience could get the Habs to over 100 points.
2. New Jersey, they may have been terrible this year but adding Marner and Hughes while already having Hischier and Hall would make them a playoff team.

So the Toronto kid that grew up a Leafs fan is going to sign an offer sheet with Montreal or the New Jersey Devils (who aren't very good)?

You realize he actually needs to sign and potentially move to those teams, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad