Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'll summarize the next 1000 posts:

HFBoards: Mitch Marner is worth a lot of money and a very talented player. He could get offer sheets above 10M+ and the Leafs would have no choice but to match. It will screw up their cap completely.

Dubas: Mitch Marner signs for 9.5M * 8 years.

HFBoards: WOW Dubas overpaid!

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

HFBoards: Mitch Marner is worth a lot of money and a very talented player. He could get offer sheets above 10M+ and the Leafs would have no choice but to match. It will screw up their cap completely.

The Stone/Kucherov contracts set the bar.

Even if he sets the house on fire down the stretch and playoff time, he isn't worth more than 9.5

Reactions: TML1990

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
Sorry, are Leafs fans actually bitching about why a 21-year-old on pace for 90+ points and due a massive contract is the subject of incessant conversation? Who else are we going to talk about, Cody Ceci? I mean, come on. The Leafs are simultaneously in an amazing and terrifying situation. Who cares about Timo Meier's next contract.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Highly doubt many people will say he overpaid Marner if he gets under 10 million..

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Sorry, are Leafs fans actually *****ing about why a 21-year-old on pace for 90+ points and due a massive contract is the subject of incessant conversation? Who else are we going to talk about, Cody Ceci? I mean, come on. The Leafs are simultaneously in an amazing and terrifying situation. Who cares about Timo Meier's next contract.
Mikko Rantonen, Brayden Point, Patrick Laine, Sebastion Aho, Matthew Tkachuk, Brock Boesser, Zach Werenski, Charlie McAvoy, Ivan Provorov to name a few.

There are a bunch of elite players that are RFA after this year, and more than a few of them are on teams with similarly tight caps as the Leafs. Don't hear a peep about them though.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Mikko Rantonen, Brayden Point, Patrick Laine, Sebastion Aho, Matthew Tkachuk, Brock Boesser, Zach Werenski, Charlie McAvoy, Ivan Provorov to name a few.

There are a bunch of elite players that are RFA after this year, and more than a few of them are on teams with similarly tight caps as the Leafs. Don't hear a peep about them though.

I actually forgot that McAvoy was a RFA, that one is real quiet. Luckily Boston has always managed to hold on to their young players and no one wants a young RHD, they should be fine.

Last edited:

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Marner can't make less than Tavares. RFAs are gettin' paid like UFAs now. Marner 8 years 11. They're all in the ballpark with each other and everyone's happy

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

HFLeafs: *sweating profusely* - "Surely the team leading scorer will take a hometown discount to keep this dynasty together. Dubas can't go 0/3"

Dubas: Mitch Marner signs for $11 million * 5 years

HFLeafs: *surprised Pikachu face*

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dreger sounds convinced that if Marner makes it to July 1 unsigned he will get an offer sheet. Whether he signs it is anyone's guess. But it is a powerful negotiation tool for Marner's camp. 10.1M would mean 2 firsts, 1 2nd, and a 3rd. Leafs will likely match, but that would mean less money for Kapanen and Johnsson. And this could force other moves to get them all signed.

"I can tell you, with certainty, that teams are 100 percent preparing an offer sheet for Mitch Marner," TSN's Darren Dreger reported on Thursday's edition of "Insider Trading."

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
TIL- Marner is a 90 pt player without ever scoring 90 pts in the NHL, and Bracco is Comparable to Alex Debrincat who never played one game in the AHL.

Keep it coming, bwhahaha

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
You could argue that he is better than Matthews who just got $11.6 million. $10.5 million should be the starting point for Mitch and work up from there.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sorry, are Leafs fans actually *****ing about why a 21-year-old on pace for 90+ points and due a massive contract is the subject of incessant conversation? Who else are we going to talk about, Cody Ceci? I mean, come on. The Leafs are simultaneously in an amazing and terrifying situation. Who cares about Timo Meier's next contract.

Talk about Marner while ignoring the many comparable players in this situation all you like. Oh and don't forget to complain later about how there's so many Leaf related threads on the board.

Dreger sounds convinced that if Marner makes it to July 1 unsigned he will get an offer sheet. Whether he signs it is anyone's guess. But it is a powerful negotiation tool for Marner's camp. 10.1M would mean 2 firsts, 1 2nd, and a 3rd. Leafs will likely match, but that would mean less money for Kapanen and Johnsson. And this could force other moves to get them all signed.

LOL Dreger and LOL TWS. In no particular order as I'd have no idea who to put first in this "elite" company. :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Don't get this post.

Matthews was legitimately overpaid. Unless you're talking about Nylander.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
You could argue that he is better than Matthews who just got $11.6 million. $10.5 million should be the starting point for Mitch and work up from there.

He's not. Marner has been playing on John Tavares's wing all year, while Matthews has had less to work with. At least offensively Matthews is clearly better.

We'll see where Marner's numbers end up. His point production has been slowing down - at one point looked like he was going to put up a 100 point season.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

Please do argue your point. Wingers don’t get as much as centres anyways and he should be below Tavares and Matthews for sure.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Value of: - Laine in the off-season

Speculation: - Laine, Connor, Trouba...Who stays and at what cost?

Value of: - What would you do with Laine?

There are 3 this month involving Laine.

Sportsnet: - Short term deal for Laine? Not in Winnipeg much longer?

That one missed out by a day. I won't include the other one created after your post.

People are interested in Marner's contract because he's the last of the "big three" and everyone loves to throw out proclamations on numbers then crap on the people that were wrong.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

An offer sheet for 10M will be doing the Leafs a favour. I guarantee Mitch (and his dad) will want more.

If a team wants to get stupid and offer sheet Marner for a ridiculous number, the Leafs take the 4 1sts and back the truck up for Panarin.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Hey folks can I get some input on what a bridge deal would look like for Marner? I feel that he deserves to be paid fairly close to Matthews, but the space isn't there next season, but it would be after. How about a generous 1 year deal, say 7 million. Then a long term deal, depending on the season he has and the cap increase, he could get more than Matthews. It's still a win for both sides, as the Leafs would be able to retain guys like Kapanen, Nylander, Johnsson, and Marner gets his due respect. Would Marner want the 1 yr deal at 7m, or would he want it a bit longer to get some lockout protection?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
An offer sheet for 10M will be doing the Leafs a favour. I guarantee Mitch (and his dad) will want more.

If a team wants to get stupid and offer sheet Marner for a ridiculous number, the Leafs take the 4 1sts and back the truck up for Panarin.

The problem here would be timing. Panarin will probably be off the market in the first hour or two of July 1. The offersheets would theoretically come after the ufa market dries up. Anyways, I really can't see Marner signing on offer sheet, because he might actually have to play somewhere else. Not even Nylander was interested in signing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad