Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
It wasn't a classic but there were some good points. As usual they led the shot count. They had a good PK going as well. Thought Washer had a good game and Edmonds looked pretty solid in the third when needed most, especially with the give away save he made to protect the one goal lead at the time late in the third. Portakalis has been looking much better the last month. Whittaker has been a force on the forecheck, not on the classical bang them into the boards, but he ends up with the puck on his stick on a give away often.

Team just can't finish their chances. I see Isaackson has moved down the depth chart. I was hoping to see more production from him. He has been the antithesis of their OA forwards last season, Carter and Lazer. The OA situation played out poorly, traded for HDavis and then could not get a return on McHugh, who maybe would have more production then Isaackson.

Good to start off this weekend with a duece being added to the point total but looks like Kingston is keeping pace tonight.

Sarnia tomorrow, who were cold, then hot, and now struggling as of late.

Reactions: mtshapcott

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
This team has to be playing for next year. This team may want to consider playing everyone. Portakalis is playing better, why? Ice time. Trading vet players for draft picks is a wise move to start doing. A Soo fan came on this board a congratulated Ranger for stepping in for Edmonds and playing a great game. But, last night, playing the worst team in the OHL, he doesn't get the start? Why? This is the second last place team, and it can only get one spot worst. The next 30 games would be a great opportunity to give the young players valuable ice time for NEXT season. How good would these young players be if the where given 25 games of consistent play? Some of the player getting limited ice time are in their NHL draft years, but aren't getting the ice-time to improve enough or show case their talent to get drafted. Very disappointing to see.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This team has to be playing for next year. This team may want to consider playing everyone. Portakalis is playing better, why? Ice time. Trading vet players for draft picks is a wise move to start doing. A Soo fan came on this board a congratulated Ranger for stepping in for Edmonds and playing a great game. But, last night, playing the worst team in the OHL, he doesn't get the start? Why? This is the second last place team, and it can only get one spot worst. The next 30 games would be a great opportunity to give the young players valuable ice time for NEXT season. How good would these young players be if the where given 25 games of consistent play? Some of the player getting limited ice time are in their NHL draft years, but aren't getting the ice-time to improve enough or show case their talent to get drafted. Very disappointing to see.

They will start selling guys off very soon I would imagine, but it may take 2 years before Mississauga becomes a serious contender. The brightest spots on the roster are 01's (Schwindt, Harley and Washkurak), which suggest that next year could be a contending year, but there is just not enough elsewhere to really make a serious go at it. Especially since there could be some uncertainty regarding Harley's return next year.

An idea for Mississauga would be to trade off Harley and one of Schwindt and Washkurak by this TDL and try to acquire as much high end 02'/03' talent and picks as possible. If you were to, for example, trade Harley and Schwindt to Flint for Evan Vierling and a large bounty of picks, that could seriously kickstart a rebuild. Possibly trade any OA's or depth players for more picks if it makes sense as well.

Assuming Mississauga is lucky enough to draft Ty Nelson, that would give them another big piece on their blueline to help offset the loss of Harley, as well as a BAR 2nd, SAG 2nd and a SAR 3rd to help them fill out some more depth areas.

Whittaker-Washkurak-Hardie
Vierling-Prueter-Collins
Canade-Portokalis-Import
Dodig-Del Bel Belluz-Stubbs

Notable Prospects: RW Myles Perry, RW Rylan Bowers, LW Michael McKnight, RW Joshua Reid, C Ryan O'Marra

Del Mastro-Nelson
Penman-Bjorvik Holm
Callaghan-Sharpe
Spence

Notable Prospects: RD Drew Jeffers, RD Riley Rosenthal

Edmonds-Ranger
DiLauro

No Notable Prospects

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I'm not anticipating Harley being here after the deadline. I think it would be best to sell him now and not take chances upon him returning next season. I do not see Schwindt or Washer being dealt this season, but that's my opinion on what will happen. I have no insider knowledge myself.

Kingston is in town and are tied in points with Sauga for the last playoff spot and a game in hand. Fronts have been well over 500 during the last ten and have SWright leading them. Will be my first look at him and looking forward to it.

Hopefully Sauga gets off to a good start as they have had quite a few early ones against this season. Nice to see some names on the scoresheet yesterday, hopefully they can score a few today as well.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Hope washkurak is ok. Did not come back after his fight today. Nice win, thought they looked good and played real well.

Reactions: Tarantula

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018

I agree they should be giving more ice time throughout the lineup but I did notice more of that this weekend than pretty much any other over the season. Also while Ranger did play well in his relief appearance against SSM, he did not have a good 3rd period against Sarnia on Saturday

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hope washkurak is ok. Did not come back after his fight today. Nice win, thought they looked good and played real well.

Hope he is ok as well. Looked like one of the trainers quickly summoned some extra help after he went off to the locker room. Hope he hasn't broken anything.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm not anticipating Harley being here after the deadline. I think it would be best to sell him now and not take chances upon him returning next season. I do not see Schwindt or Washer being dealt this season, but that's my opinion on what will happen. I have no insider knowledge myself.

Kingston is in town and are tied in points with Sauga for the last playoff spot and a game in hand. Fronts have been well over 500 during the last ten and have SWright leading them. Will be my first look at him and looking forward to it.

Hopefully Sauga gets off to a good start as they have had quite a few early ones against this season. Nice to see some names on the scoresheet yesterday, hopefully they can score a few today as well.

I only think Schwindt or Washkurak are going to get moved because of opportunity and the returns they could get. One will be kept to be a top line guy for the team next year, and moved at the TDL if the Steelheads are not competitive and the return is there, but the other I think gets moved to give Prueter, Portokalis and Del-Bel-Belluz as centers. All three could realistically have important roles by the time this team is ready to compete, and Mississauga could be drafting more centers, including with their 1st round pick this year.

The good news is that Mississauga has leverage because they don't need to trade either of them. Both are coming back next year. So if the return is not there, they can just wait. Harley is far more pressing, because it's 50/50 at best right now for him. However, I think even if Harley returned and everyone was kept, I don't think this is a team that is going to compete next year, so at some point in the next year, all three should be traded.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I agree they should be giving more ice time throughout the lineup but I did notice more of that this weekend than pretty much any other over the season. Also while Ranger did play well in his relief appearance against SSM, he did not have a good 3rd period against Sarnia on Saturday

Imagine if Ranger was playing regularly.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
#9 Washkurak has been on a tear, almost 2 pts a game the last 3 weekends, source Sauga twitter account. Hopefully he is good to go as another poster mentioned he didn't return after a late 2nd period fight. There are a few guys that have stepped up, Prueter, Penman, and Portakalis. Whittaker still has a magnet for rubber in the offensive zone, I now expect him to have the puck after a forecheck, it happens that often.

The results have been a disappointment, but the effort has not been. Seems as though they are scoring more consistently now as well. Hopefully they have a good 2 games before the Christmas break.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Washer out 4 to 6 weeks for a injury. He was on a roll with a team that had issues putting the puck in the net. Hopefully some slack gets picked up.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Imagine if Ranger was playing regularly.
*agree, ranger needs consistent play to be able to play a full 60 minutes. Practice vs play is a different mental game. Even if he plays well he still sits. Edmonds has gotten a lot of leash from day 1 (and he was shaky at the start) and has no pressure now which makes it a lot easier to play looser and confident. Ranger plays well and is he rewarded? No, never- he still sits. He should have started the game after Edmonds pulled. He is being screwed over by Mississauga.[/QUOTE

Reactions: hockieguy

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice to see a full scoresheet and some points separation between Sauga and Kingston. Like the effort they have been bringing as well. Hopefully their play gets rewarded in thr second half.

Off the top of my head the schedule seems tough this year. They had 10 weekends in a row with a road trip. January looks rough as well.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I strongly believe that Redmond start playing his young players much more and with constancy. This team is going to limp into the playoffs and that's it. Play for next year. When can a team have 30 games of practice for their young guys. This is how you will determine who can play next season. This is the time to be smart and play your young talent but I don't see that happening. Especially now with #9 being out of the lineup for the next 4-6 weeks. Heck, what does this team have to lose, and what would the gain? Lose: wasted talent. Gain: Game Experience and a high 1st round pick.

Reactions: Blueliner65

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Richmond, not Redmond.

Good to see the win going into the break. I have liked what I have been seeing with this team, good effort and team play. Their offence has been looking better as well, now they are getting some additional scoring.

Another tough month ahead as they have 9 roadies and only 5 at home, including the trip up north. The first month was travel light but has been heavy on the road since.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
According to OHL insiders, Oshawa seems to be kicking the tires on a Harley. I would think the Gens are mostly loading up for next season and hosting the Mem Cup. They must be hearing or thinking Harley returns next year, otherwise it doesn't make sense. I have no issue with dealing Harley as long as J Richmond can get the picks and prospect to warrant the move. It should fill up the draft grid giving JR some currency.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Mixed weekend, 2 points Sat but a regulation loss to Kingston in a game that they outshot. Did not look sharp today for the most part. Defensive giveaways, not clearing out the front of their net, etc.

Tough sched coming up in Jan as well after they play in Hammertown on NYE.

Nice to see #11 Schwinny getting some tallies with Washer out. Still seems like the opposition goalie has a great game against Sauaga.

Reactions: mtshapcott

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
#11 Schwinny at it again. Nice win in the Hammer, and good to see some pucks hitting the back of the net. This team could be much higher in the standings if they could have scored earlier this year.

Roadie in London Fri, and a tough Peterboro team Sun at home. They will not have a home game for 19 days after that.

Wonder what we are going to see this trade deadline, crazy year especially in the west.

Reactions: Blueliner65

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Highs to lows. We keep taking floaters on goalies with no traffic and making them look good. We had a lot of soft players tonight. When we don't work we can look really bad.
Hopefully we are ready to play Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad