Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I was just looking at the NHL draft list and there is TWO goalies, the same age as Ranger, that are listed that have pretty much the same save percentage as Ranger. The difference is, they have played more games. A young kid in his NHL draft year and he doesn't get a chance to play for his future career. This is a lesson on "How not to develop talent". This is absolutely a shame and disgusting.

Reactions: Draftguy

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I was just looking at the NHL draft list and there is TWO goalies, the same age as Ranger, that are listed that have pretty much the same save percentage as Ranger. The difference is, they have played more games. A young kid in his NHL draft year and he doesn't get a chance to play for his future career. This is a lesson on "How not to develop talent". This is absolutely a shame and disgusting.

A goalie with an .852 save percentage is not getting drafted, regardless of whether they are on the list or not. When you add the guy is a backup and is 5'11", even more so. He should focus more on being OHL caliber before worrying about being an NHL prospect, because right now, he's a guy who could easily lose his spot in the OHL by next year.

Getting on the draft list is meaningless. I would say maybe 1/3 of the goalies on that list will get drafted, and a number of goalies not on this list will also get drafted. Really, the actually rankings are widely inaccurate outside of the really top end guys, with guys they have as 2nd or 3rd rounders in NA going undrafted every year. This year may be particularly bad, but there may be some major corrections made for the final rankings.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
The main difference is 4 to 5 inches in size. Unless your over 6 foot 2 your not getting a look. Look at Cedrick Andree, his # are great and played games, was never drafted.
Do I think Joe should be playing a few more games, yes. Do I think he should be on NHL draft list if he had 5 or 6 more starts like Ty and Will with the same save% No
How do you think all the 01 and 02 goalies with more starts and better stats then Will and Ty feel?

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
We
The main difference is 4 to 5 inches in size. Unless your over 6 foot 2 your not getting a look. Look at Cedrick Andree, his # are great and played games, was never drafted.
Do I think Joe should be playing a few more games, yes. Do I think he should be on NHL draft list if he had 5 or 6 more starts like Ty and Will with the same save% No
How do you think all the 01 and 02 goalies with more starts and better stats then Will and Ty feel?

Well, as far as I know the net is six feet wide and four feet tall, not the other way around. You can't become an "OHL" goalie if you aren't given the chance to play regularly. Win 1st star and get rewarded by sitting on the bench for 5 weeks. Best goalies are the ones that stop the puck, not who has the longest inseam. Ask Grant Furh how tall he is, Andy Moog, Ed Belfour, Tretiak, Joeseph….all under 6'1".....

Reactions: Finster8

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
We

Well, as far as I know the net is six feet wide and four feet tall, not the other way around. You can't become an "OHL" goalie if you aren't given the chance to play regularly. Win 1st star and get rewarded by sitting on the bench for 5 weeks. Best goalies are the ones that stop the puck, not who has the longest inseam. Ask Grant Furh how tall he is, Andy Moog, Ed Belfour, Tretiak, Joeseph….all under 6'1".....
they also played before electricity was invented , different era

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
A goalie with an .852 save percentage is not getting drafted, regardless of whether they are on the list or not. When you add the guy is a backup and is 5'11", even more so. He should focus more on being OHL caliber before worrying about being an NHL prospect, because right now, he's a guy who could easily lose his spot in the OHL by next year.

Getting on the draft list is meaningless. I would say maybe 1/3 of the goalies on that list will get drafted, and a number of goalies not on this list will also get drafted. Really, the actually rankings are widely inaccurate outside of the really top end guys, with guys they have as 2nd or 3rd rounders in NA going undrafted every year. This year may be particularly bad, but there may be some major corrections made for the final rankings.
Agree that this list is meaningless. Seems all these Canadian goalies on the list are the ones invited to POE camps; if Vrebetic and Lennox were eligible they would be on there too and their #s aren’t great this year. (Will give Vrebetic a bit of leeway as he must be shell-shocked.)
I believe Tucker was not listed and this kid was having a fantastic year and one of the best (if not best) ‘02 stats YTD.
From the names on and not on this list indicates research hasn’t been done yet on goalies (and just size looked at) and it’s all a load of BS ;)

Draftguy

Nov 16, 2015

Never mind losing his OHL spot next year.... the kid/agent and parents should have taken him home at Christmas and had him play CCHL. The kid hasn’t played the past two years and watching him in practice it’s obvious he’s been affected by it. No games=no development.

Reactions: Blueliner65

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Great game and win for the Fish. Impressed with the team from front to back. Great play all around and some key lucky breaks have the points adding up. Kudos to Penman for dropping them for Hardie; no hesitation.
Again, these boys are making teams uneasy.
#SteelTheShow

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Picking up some nice wins against teams higher in the standings even with some key players missing time. Good to see the wins and some climb in the standings, tough stretch on the road this month.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Nice win, boys keep stepping up.
Poor Ole Bjorgvik-Holm is struggling, he was like a Bakker out there turn over after turn over. They have to separate him and Harley. All he does is look for Harley. The forechecker just go to Harley and he still tries to move him the puck.

Another big game tomorrow. Haven’t won three in a row all year. Go steelheads

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
See if Ranger gets the game..... No reason why he doesn't get this game. Barrie had their fire sale.
Doubtful as this team needs every point they can get to make playoffs. 3 teams all within a few points of each other. Can’t fault Richmond for keeping the momentum going. The team is playing well and they can’t afford to shake things up, keep it rolling as long as they can.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Canade with the hatty! Im sure that one must have felt good for Edmonds beating his old squad. Forester is lethal but man does he cheat the game. Never noticed it as bad as it was tonight. Great player, maybe cause it was his Bday he wanted the goals. lol
Go Steelheads!

Reactions: Tarantula

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Doubtful as this team needs every point they can get to make playoffs. 3 teams all within a few points of each other. Can’t fault Richmond for keeping the momentum going. The team is playing well and they can’t afford to shake things up, keep it rolling as long as they can.

unfortunately, this is the same scenario fans saw Richmond pull with Ingham last year. Played the kid into exhaustion and out in round one. The Wheels of the Edmonds bus will fall off due to fatigue.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
4 points on the road with a few injuries in play. Nice weekend for Sauga, good to see Canade and Hardie getting some tallies. This team could not score at the beginning of the season but now are finding the back of the net.

Should be a interesting end to the season and into the playoffs. They are picking up some points and moving up the standings, and they have been playing well as a team. They move the puck quickly, particularly on breakouts.

Good month of a heavy road sched, and their top scorers out. Plenty to look forward to going ahead.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Big game tonight. Keep the streak going. Would probably expect to see Ranger in tonight.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I watched the highlights and there wasn't too much Ranger could've done on really any of the goals. He was left out to dry on two, one hit his own player and deflected in. It is interesting, after the team pulled Joe, the rest of the team decided to play and Edmonds had two shots..... Maybe that needs to be addressed.

Reactions: three dog night

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Disappointing result last night, was hoping and thinking that there was a good chance for the streak to continue. Not as optimistic with the Petes and Rangers in this weekend.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I watched the highlights and there wasn't too much Ranger could've done on really any of the goals. He was left out to dry on two, one hit his own player and deflected in. It is interesting, after the team pulled Joe, the rest of the team decided to play and Edmonds had two shots..... Maybe that needs to be addressed.

One goalie has a .845 save %. The other has a .906 save %. Same team playing in front of both them

Reactions: dirty12

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
One goalie has a .845 save %. The other has a .906 save %. Same team playing in front of both them
Come on Square Corners, take a look at the first 8 games comparing one vs the other. They are pretty much the same stats with the same team in front. The difference now is one gets played and the other not and there is an expectation for one to perform the same as the other. A goalie needs to play, simple goalie mismanagement by JR and he ruined this kid this year.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Big win, and it means more then the last meeting when Peterborough had a bug running through the room.

Team had Canade starting on Defence even though he had a good month on the score sheet. Ole Holm out with a extended detention and Ham missing.

Nice game from Hardie, and Schwinny as well. He has really come on the last 2 months, driving the play and getting consistant points.

Edmonds has been playing well, his rebound control has vastly improved since his time in Barie and the start of this year. He stole a couple as well.

Nice to see Harley shooting more. He can be a scoring threat with that shot on the blue line, granted we got spoiled with Hauge's last season.

I like how they are playing and moving up the standings albiet slowly. Best time of the year to be getting points and doing so with the onion layers of injuries of the last 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->