Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draftguy

Nov 16, 2015
Tarantula, he has played fifteen games in two seasons, is this going to help development or destroy it? Either play him 1 in 4 or trade him to a team that will.
Problem is that he hasn’t proven he can play in this league so he isn’t worth anything. Kid should head home and play CCHL so he can develop.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
We must have the lowest % goals on shots taken. We consistently make other teams goalies look way better then they are. Our refusal to get to dirty areas. and to move the puck to make the goalie go cross crease is frustrating. Watching Ottawa top line move the puck in our zone today was scary. Hope for a better result tomorrow.

Take a look at where the shots are coming from, not many that aren’t from the perimeter.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough stretch and may not be getting any easier. Guelph on Wed and Osh Thursday night.

I knew goals would be hard to come by but I thought they would have more to show for their efforts then they have gotten so far, they get shots and manage to work the puck close to the net but to no avail. Isaackson shows moments but haven't seen much from him lately, perhaps he has had a injury issue? He was out for a bit. Shoulder I think.

Good to see Ranger in net, too bad he couldn't get some more support on the score board.

Hope the Trout can turn it around. There is a lot to like about this team but the lack of scoring punch is just keeping them behind the proverbial eight ball.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Canade gone 8 games, time to start selling?

I would think they will shop Harley around at some point. This team just cannot score and it isn’t going to change with what they have. They have no real shot at a playoff round just for that reason alone. There is a lot to like with this team overall but that lack of scoring is fatal. They would be better served trading for the future.

Another good effort yesterday but a very similar result. Going to be a tough one in Oshawa tonight.

Reactions: tjziel

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I would think they will shop Harley around at some point. This team just cannot score and it isn’t going to change with what they have. They have no real shot at a playoff round just for that reason alone. There is a lot to like with this team overall but that lack of scoring is fatal. They would be better served trading for the future.

Another good effort yesterday but a very similar result. Going to be a tough one in Oshawa tonight.

Exactly, the team has been playing well overall but they just can't cash in, especially on the powerplay. It was obvious how much Carter and Lyszczarczyk carried the offensive load for the team last year but no one has really been able to step up in their absence. Whittaker and Schwindt have been playing well but are not pure goal scorers by any means

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice to see a road win against Oshawa. Also nice to see a few names on the score sheet as well, C Martin with a couple of points and Portakalis with the winner. Washer had 4 points with a goalie in and a empty netter.

Good to see two points and a few goals as well. They needed both.

Sudbury next, another team that has been getting inconsistent goaltending, but you wouldn't know it going by the games they have had against Mississauaga. Hopefully the taps stay on.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Nice to see a road win against Oshawa. Also nice to see a few names on the score sheet as well, C Martin with a couple of points and Portakalis with the winner. Washer had 4 points with a goalie in and a empty netter.

Good to see two points and a few goals as well. They needed both.

Sudbury next, another team that has been getting inconsistent goaltending, but you wouldn't know it going by the games they have had against Mississauaga. Hopefully the taps stay on.

Pretty good game by the Trout against the Wolves. Byfield truly is elite though and pretty much won that game on his own

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good to get the point at least, Kingston is breathing down their neck now. Prueter got a couple as well, hopefully they keep scoring a few goals.

Having issues with losing the lead as well, hopefully that gets settled down.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Big weekend, 3 games where they can get some badly needed points now that Kingston has gotten hot. Good news on the Kingston side of things as they have a couple against the Petes.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Darius eluded to a topic that I believe to be true. JR has hit the point where job security is more important than the development of his young players..… Something has to give with this team. 2nd last place and guys still on the bench or not playing.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Darius eluded to a topic that I believe to be true. JR has hit the point where job security is more important than the development of his young players..… Something has to give with this team. 2nd last place and guys still on the bench or not playing.

Nonsense considering he just signed a extension. You may not like the ice time a particular player is getting but it has nothing to do with job security.

Just got out of Walmart with a couple of Lion King stuffed toys.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Just got out of Walmart with a couple of Lion King stuffed toys.[/QUOTE]

This is an opinion, no need to make a classless remark like that. Just stating a very clear fact. This is a losing team, and the coach could prepare for next year by giving ice- time to the younger players that may very well be counted on heavily next year. This team can't finish much worse, so playing all of the players is a good idea.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Just got out of Walmart with a couple of Lion King stuffed toys.

This is an opinion, no need to make a classless remark like that. Just stating a very clear fact. This is a losing team, and the coach could prepare for next year by giving ice- time to the younger players that may very well be counted on heavily next year. This team can't finish much worse, so playing all of the players is a good idea.[/QUOTE]

What classless remark? I stated a fact about JR and his extension, which gives him job security. The Steelheads won't be paying out a couple years of his contract and hire another Coach/GM.

Don't understand your post, but I get your opinion. You may not like JR, but he isn't going anywhere soon which was the only point I was making.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough game yesterday, Edmonds gets a SO on Saturday but didn't look sharp yesterday, Ranger did look good. I would say they all were a bit flat it seemed at times.

These guys need to get some real momentum and put together a winning streak, but it seems like bad starts and poor results on special teams have been taking their toll.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ranger looked great yesterday, and I really liked Washkurak. But in general it looked like the Steelheads had no answer for our speed. Perhaps a bit tired after 3 in 3.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Tough game yesterday, Edmonds gets a SO on Saturday but didn't look sharp yesterday, Ranger did look good. I would say they all were a bit flat it seemed at times.

These guys need to get some real momentum and put together a winning streak, but it seems like bad starts and poor results on special teams have been taking their toll.

Sorry Tarantula, I miss read your post. My error......

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Great timing for the Trout again, Friday night against a freshly named coach for North Bay. I'm expecting a better effort from them then I might have thought a day ago.

Sat in Sarnia, a streaky team. They score so Sauga may have a issue keeping up. Sauga seems to be the cure to what ails some of their opposition goals against.

Kingston on Sunday and they are rolling. S Wright has well over a dozen goals already, and looks like the Fronts are trending upwards rather quickly.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Thomas Harley is coming back to Mississauga unfortunately. Not in favour of this move but I think this was stating how many older defensemen on Team Canada and Thomas Harley can make the team next year.

What’s the word with Thomas Harley. Could he be moved by January or is management wanting him to stay out?? Any insider info??

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Thomas Harley is coming back to Mississauga unfortunately. Not in favour of this move but I think this was stating how many older defensemen on Team Canada and Thomas Harley can make the team next year.

What’s the word with Thomas Harley. Could he be moved by January or is management wanting him to stay out?? Any insider info??

Not a insider, but I would hope they do move him as they are not going anywhere this season from the looks of things. He almost stuck with the Stars for a audition as it was, I doubt he will play a full year next season in the O if he is sent back. I would think he gets the 9 games in and the WJC next season, so he would be a big boost for the end of the year on a contending team, if returned at some point. Either way I would value the picks in return as opposed to keeping him. JMO, no real idea what the club will decide.

Reactions: tjziel

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Think they're in a tough spot. All things considered, it makes sense to try and make a run at being competitive next season with an 01' group focused on Harley, Schwindt, Washkurak, and Prueter. However if Harley leaves they will have a huge hole on the back end and lose that star power that Harley brings to the table. Safe move would be to move him and hopefully pick up a couple big pieces for next year, or use the picks gained to trade for them.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Think they're in a tough spot. All things considered, it makes sense to try and make a run at being competitive next season with an 01' group focused on Harley, Schwindt, Washkurak, and Prueter. However if Harley leaves they will have a huge hole on the back end and lose that star power that Harley brings to the table. Safe move would be to move him and hopefully pick up a couple big pieces for next year, or use the picks gained to trade for them.
Not a insider, but I would hope they do move him as they are not going anywhere this season from the looks of things. He almost stuck with the Stars for a audition as it was, I doubt he will play a full year next season in the O if he is sent back. I would think he gets the 9 games in and the WJC next season, so he would be a big boost for the end of the year on a contending team, if returned at some point. Either way I would value the picks in return as opposed to keeping him. JMO, no real idea what the club will decide.

I do think it’s a smart move. I was hoping he would come to London as I do think we need another boost from the backend, but it seems there are some team who really need a player like Harley more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad