Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Did not see the game, but I did notice once again they outshoot their opponent but lost. I would like to now what their opposing goalie save % is, as there has been quite a few games where this has happened. A few teams have been having goaltending issues and then when they play Sauaga they yield the shots but not the goals. This was the pattern early in the year but they had been getting some goals recently.

See how they look Sunday. Won't be easy against the Petes, who haven't been looking good lately but have had a flu bug going around.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good win with the two top scorers out. Any word on Schwindt? Hoping he isn’t out long, bad timing for him and Washer as they were each on a roll.

I suspect the Trout had good timing for once this season regarding their opponent. Pete’s did look like they may have had some bug going through the room. The team will keep the two points nonetheless.

Tough month ahead with a pile of roadies. Sure hope they get healthy soon.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
CANADE! Well deserved ⭐️.
Great to see Richmond play Sharpe and Stubbs more tonight but guess not much choice when down players. Hope Shwindt ok.
Pete’s looked tired but had a few spurts of energy. Surprised they didn’t pull Jones as he did not look like himself at all. Let’s take the 2 and run with it.
Hope this flu bug stays away from the Fish.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
No kidding about the flu bug, they are already down Washer and Schwindt, and a heavy road schedule.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looks like there is more potential sellers then buyers this year approaching the deadline. Wondering how this is or could be affecting the price they may be asking for Harley. I thought he would not be back next year but I am not so sure now. I could see a reasonable chance he gets a audition and returned, so he would be available for the last half of next season when the Steelheads would have 3 NHL drafted players graduating and have stocked up with a few prospects via trade for the same birth year. Seems next year is a target.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Looks like there is more potential sellers then buyers this year approaching the deadline. Wondering how this is or could be affecting the price they may be asking for Harley. I thought he would not be back next year but I am not so sure now. I could see a reasonable chance he gets a audition and returned, so he would be available for the last half of next season when the Steelheads would have 3 NHL drafted players graduating and have stocked up with a few prospects via trade for the same birth year. Seems next year is a target.

I assume they were/are fielding calls from potential buyers because it might be worth it to trade Harley if the price is right. That way they would be able to pick up an 03 or 02 that will be able to contribute next year along with some picks for future trades as well. Although if they are believe that Harley will be returning next season I see no reason to trade him now

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I assume they were/are fielding calls from potential buyers because it might be worth it to trade Harley if the price is right.

No doubt they were/are taking calls, but I wonder if they get a price back for them to pull the trigger. Odd deadline so far but with understandable with the standings so tight in the West.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
With all of the big moves yesterday, i'm wondering if we'll see anything from the Steelheads. I've seen some of the other boards mention Whittaker as a trade target but i'm not sure the Steelheads move him unless there is a quality return, he'd be pretty valuable to them next year as an OA, likely more valuable than any picks they would get in return

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
With all of the big moves yesterday, i'm wondering if we'll see anything from the Steelheads. I've seen some of the other boards mention Whittaker as a trade target but i'm not sure the Steelheads move him unless there is a quality return, he'd be pretty valuable to them next year as an OA, likely more valuable than any picks they would get in return

I think they could be looking at trading him because they will want an OA spot open for a defenseman. I originally had the Steelheads moving on from Edmonds, and to potentially get an Import goalie to be the starter for next year, but the Import goalie market is very weak this year and Edmonds may be their best option for a starter next year. The Steelheads, assuming the price is right, may decide to trade Whittaker and bring in an OA defenseman instead. With guys like Del Mastro, Sharpe and OBH likely taking full time roles next year, they are going to want an experienced guy to replace Ham in the lineup.

Personally, I think Mississauga's time is in 2 years, so I would still say we could see Schwindt and Harley moved at some point. Harley may not come back to the OHL next year so it would be wise to move him now, but Schwindt can likely wait until the offseason or next TDL, especially since he is hurt right now. Otherwise, it'll be smaller tinker moves to prepare for next year and beyond.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Thin again on the forwards as Schwinny and Washer hopefully back next week. Tough time for this road trip with them out and not four full lines.

Could be a tough month ahead.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
And to add - too bad Ranger didn’t get this start. Realize points important but easy game to get the rust off and get some confidence. Disappointed in Richmond on this one. He needs to play at some point and these are the games to get him in.

Reactions: hockieguy

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
No moves and not surprised. JR had a interview on Sauga 960 and said while getting calls for some of their younger players, he felt the teams calling were not offering enough. Frankly after Harley, (who I suspect had a strong chance to be back, albiet with a 9 game audition) they really only had Schwinny and Washer and Whittaker really to offer. Neither of the last 3 would be considered top tier by any stretch. He mentioned how well the team has been playing their system, and how they are looking ahead with this lineup. Last year the two players they took back from trades are '01's as is Washer and Schwinny. Looks like they are setting up for next year.

Like the No Moves this year, the team has been playing well, pretty structured and deserves more points, nut as JR pointed out, last season they exceeded expectations as Lazer and Carter filled the net.

I like the progress the team has made since the 17/18 season, looks like JR has a plan and is sticking tp it.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Thought from last nights game,
-Prueter did not look good going into the boards . hope the shoulder is not too bad .
-like the effort from the younger guys getting some ice
-Issacson, we need more from an OA then to be 11th in points on this team

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I was expecting more from Ike as well. All they need is Prueter injured now, worst time possible. See how Sunday goes. They are already up there, hopefully they don’t get jammed with the weather as well.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Prueter out it seems, Bowers signed and playing tomorrow.
Agree Issacson needs to snap out of whatever is going on with him, step up and start being effective. He will be needed if the others are out for an extended time.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
This is just a snake bitten season, they could and really should have had more points during the early part of the season but lack of scoring put them behind the eight ball. Now as they start rolling the injury list hits their effective scorers. Not to mention how this month is a tough one, sched wise.

They actually have been playing as a team more this year then others. Hopefully that and Ike getting some puck karma can stretch them through and the injured can come back soon.

Draftguy

Nov 16, 2015
JR is an embarrassment when it comes to how he has handled/ruined Ranger. This kid needs to get the hell away from this coach and organization.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice road trip for Sauga. Down to 10 forwards with injury and Del Bel Bellez ill. Hopefully it isn't the flu. 4 points and a solid weekend, hopefully they will be getting some guys back for the trip next weekend.

Sauga is starting to string along some points now, they may be able to climb up the standings a bit.

Next weekend won't be any easier as the Gens and Petes picked up some reinforcements on already deep teams.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Ranger should’ve played in North Bay. No reason why he didn’t.
Maybe now with a bit of points in pocket Ranger will get games. A playoff spot seems more in reach and Edmonds is going to need rest. Would like JR to try for more than a 1st round playoff spot and that means have ALL players in top form and ready when called upon. This team is starting to raise eyebrows as they don’t give up.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Maybe now with a bit of points in pocket Ranger will get games. A playoff spot seems more in reach and Edmonds is going to need rest. Would like JR to try for more than a 1st round playoff spot and that means have ALL players in top form and ready when called upon. This team is starting to raise eyebrows as they don’t give up.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one. JR played Ingham to the point of exhaustion like he was a rented mule last season and now Ingham is having an outstanding year this year in part because he has a coach that has a REALISTIC view of rest to play ratios.

Reactions: Blueliner65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad