Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
This team may not look as good on paper as last year but I could see them having a good season. There is no leading scorer on D as Hague last year but the top 6 should be more steady through and through. They won't score as much but I think they will do better on the goals against and get more balanced scoring amongst their lines this year. A few less shots per game against and a few percentage points on the save % goes a long way from some of the games we saw last year.

Verdict is out on JR as a GM, but I have liked how the team plays for him as a coach.

Although I think they have to trade Ryan McLeod at the deadline to re-fill the cupboard. Especially since they lost M.McLeod and Hague for nothing

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
Although I think they have to trade Ryan McLeod at the deadline to re-fill the cupboard. Especially since they lost M.McLeod and Hague for nothing
The depth of 19 and 20 year olds on the Knights isn’t good. Horrible if one or both of Bouchard/Formenton are done in London. Quite premature to see all the predictions with London at the top of the Conference.

I don’t think most of those 98s would be available but one 98 that could be interesting is Cole Carter. Right hand shot forward and fast. May be a breakout candidate as an OA. Should be relatively inexpensive if available.

I miss the days when there were surplus OAs and you could pick up Scott Sheppard for next to nothing.:(
From the London board. Interesting observation.

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
I like they way Charlie Callaghan slowed the game down at times during Mondays game nice passes good reads and average skating. Any Missy natives see how he looked during camp, and the game vs Oshawa (if he played)

Misenheimer has a lazer of a shot, nice quick release. I'd lke to see more of him before the season starts. Could be the 3rd OA. (O'Grady, carter and misenhiemer) to be fair I didnt see much of barbosa aside from warm ups.

Its like he is skating on butter

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looks life a JR picked up some more depth on forward.

2016-17
3.png
London Knights
OHL 1112341
3.png
London Nationals
GOJHL 4511193073
2017-18
3.png
London Knights
OHL 54581343-6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Sounds of big news for the Steelheads fans as for the first time since 2011 the fans of Mississauga will have a chance to hear Steelheads hockey as in recent weeks chatter about Steelheads current owner is in the final stages of working on an agreement with local radio station 960 AM CKNT.

Its been a long time in waiting Steelheads fans :popcorn: :clap::clap::popcorn:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Sounds of big news for the Steelheads fans as for the first time since 2011 the fans of Mississauga will have a chance to hear Steelheads hockey as in recent weeks chatter about Steelheads current owner is in the final stages of working on an agreement with local radio station 960 AM CKNT.

Its been a long time in waiting Steelheads fans :popcorn: :clap::clap::popcorn:

"The station, which will be known as Sauga 960 AM, has been on the airwaves over the last few months with filler music. Sauga 960 will operate on a news talk format and focus on Mississauga's political, sports and arts scene, while also delivering updates on traffic, school closures and more." from Mississauga News.

Good news, when the lease business started making the rounds I found out about this proposed station. At that time there was no fresh news and I wondered if it would really get off the ground and into the airwaves. Will be checking it for Steelheads coverage as soon as I can.

Could be a big boost for the Trout. The GTA stations cover the following in no order: Leafs, Raptors, Jays, TFC (yes, soccer), Argos and even the Marlies. The Marlies were a relatively hot topic during their Calder Cup run. Absolutely nothing on the O or the Steelheads, or even the minor pro team in Brampton. Last season right before the opener E Kerr was on Prime Time Sports and it was a good interview. Not so much the next morning when J Richmond was on the morning show, Brady and Co talked about developing players in the O, nothing about the team or upcoming season itself. I think alot of Brady overall and I understand he maybe didn't want to do a fluff piece but they should have been talking about the team considering the timing, morning of the season opener last year. Only the Fan mentions the Steelheads at all on the sports update and that is just on game night at the 5pm, and who decides at 5pm on a whim to go to a hockey game that starts in 2 hrs with all the damn traffic here!!! My office is based in the same neighbourhood as the rink and it can take a hr to travel 16kms at that time of day!

Now, maybe we will have a pregame show to listen to on the way to the rink. Last year I would actually tune in Hamilton for the preview when the Bulldogs were HERE to visit the fish.:shakehead

While this could be a big boost to the Trout, frankly this is needed here. Hell Vaughan has a nifty new FM station going now with music and local news.

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
Did anyone catch the preseason game last night? Nice to see Reisnecker score a pair
Reisnecker and Carter appear to have developed a bit of chemistry in the few shifts they had together. It appears most of the younger guys have lots of courage and quick feet. If they play JR hockey it could be a fun season.

Reactions: Tarantula

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
"The station, which will be known as Sauga 960 AM, has been on the airwaves over the last few months with filler music. Sauga 960 will operate on a news talk format and focus on Mississauga's political, sports and arts scene, while also delivering updates on traffic, school closures and more." from Mississauga News.

Good news, when the lease business started making the rounds I found out about this proposed station. At that time there was no fresh news and I wondered if it would really get off the ground and into the airwaves. Will be checking it for Steelheads coverage as soon as I can.

Could be a big boost for the Trout. The GTA stations cover the following in no order: Leafs, Raptors, Jays, TFC (yes, soccer), Argos and even the Marlies. The Marlies were a relatively hot topic during their Calder Cup run. Absolutely nothing on the O or the Steelheads, or even the minor pro team in Brampton. Last season right before the opener E Kerr was on Prime Time Sports and it was a good interview. Not so much the next morning when J Richmond was on the morning show, Brady and Co talked about developing players in the O, nothing about the team or upcoming season itself. I think alot of Brady overall and I understand he maybe didn't want to do a fluff piece but they should have been talking about the team considering the timing, morning of the season opener last year. Only the Fan mentions the Steelheads at all on the sports update and that is just on game night at the 5pm, and who decides at 5pm on a whim to go to a hockey game that starts in 2 hrs with all the damn traffic here!!! My office is based in the same neighbourhood as the rink and it can take a hr to travel 16kms at that time of day!

Now, maybe we will have a pregame show to listen to on the way to the rink. Last year I would actually tune in Hamilton for the preview when the Bulldogs were HERE to visit the fish.:shakehead

While this could be a big boost to the Trout, frankly this is needed here. Hell Vaughan has a nifty new FM station going now with music and local news.
Thanks for the information. A radio broadcast and talk show is a great addition and should bring in some new fans. The team needs to bulk up a bit on the backend but there are a number of kids who have lots of courage and speed on the team. I hope they are competitive.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Season roster out now, 4 Centres listed, 7 LW. Without any further moves or trades who would likely slot from the wing to centre?

Only 3 natural RD as well, OA are as of now: Carter(RW), Mesenheimer(RW), O'Grady(RD), Barbosa(RD).

Maybe some moves coming?

Reactions: Scooter44

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Noticed R McLeod is not on the Oilers roster, guessing he will be back for the opener, would have to think the same with Ingham as well. Tippet is not listed with the Panthers as well, hoping he comes back as trade material. Anyone have any news or info?

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
It would appear that they held two of their letters back. Wonder if they expect a couple of players back from NHL camps. IMO they gave the other letters to the right players.
Looking forward to the season starting.
Go Fish

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Can't believe it's already game day! I won't be able to watch but hopefully the boys can start the season off on a good note! I am cautiously optimistic with this young group, fingers crossed that we'll see both R. McLeod and Tippett back this season

Reactions: Tarantula

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
Can't believe it's already game day! I won't be able to watch but hopefully the boys can start the season off on a good note! I am cautiously optimistic with this young group, fingers crossed that we'll see both R. McLeod and Tippett back this season
I cant see this team doing above 500, I might be wrong, but Richmond has not recruited well. What assets hes got he inherited them.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I cant see this team doing above 500, I might be wrong, but Richmond has not recruited well. What assets hes got he inherited them.

Yes I don't think they'll be over 500 but just below and grab one of the final two playoff spots would be successful in my books.

Also looks like Mason Hardy and Matthew Dunsmoor have been cut according to the roster page. I wish them the best in this upcoming season and hopefully it isn't the last we've seen of them in a Steelheads uniform

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough OT loss, bad time to go for a line change. The Trout actually carried the play mostly though Ottawa had some good chances. Ingham looked steady and despite the save % for the game played well. I think going to LA probably was a benefit for him as he had some things to work on.

O'Grady missed the game, any word on him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad