Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have nothing but love for Homer. Not a perfect GM by any stretch of the imagination, but he did everything he could to get us there. There were a lot of things that went against us that were just bad luck and out of his control, and then other things that he made blunders on, but he worked his ass off to put us over the top year after year, and the fact that he never got there doesn't diminish his efforts one bit for me. I'm glad the Homer Era is over and prefer the way we are doing things now, but he was a good steward for this organization for a long time.

Could not agree more. His work between 2007 and 2012 (Bryz contract withstanding) was phenomenal, and he seems like a man with all the integrity and class in the world.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Next time someone complains that rules against hitting above the shoulders, etc., are making the game soft, send him this article.
There is no reason to tolerate head shots with what we know about concussions.
The problem is they don’t know enough about concussions yet. Too many ex athletes are blaming their struggles with anxiety, substance abuse, and depression on concussions. As the past week showed with Bourdain and Spade, head trauma isn’t necessarily the cause of these.

More information is needed and too much of what’s published today is more scare than actual good science. Not saying the league needs more elbows to the head, but hitting shouldn’t be taken out completely which a zero head touching ban would likely cause.

Also not to kill the guy, but nobody made him do that for a living. If he was having that much fear from fighting, he could of chosen another profession.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
DfioLajWAAEyn3x

What on earth is the context of this tweet?

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Jim Nill.....Dallas GM.....Said he is more likely to move down than move up. Said a group of 8-10 players, then the next tier. But the cost to move up to that group is very high.

Just was on Hockey Central

Reactions: Curufinwe

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Jim Nill.....Dallas GM.....Said he is more likely to move down than move up. Said a group of 8-10 players, then the next tier. But the cost to move up to that group is very high.

Just was on Hockey Central
It's your usual predraft dance. Everybody always say they are open to trade their pick and they rarely ever do. What was the last top10 pick moved before or at the draft? I know there was Arizona, but other than that I can't remember any.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Are you a parent by chance? If not a parent, do you have a close relationship with a woman who has given birth recently (in the past few years)?

The questions are to ascertain if you are familiar with the modern hospital system and child birth. There is blood work taken out the wazoo for both the mother and the child at a birthing event. Had something been amiss at the stillbirth event, the hospital would have found it, and reported it as necessary to the appropriate authorities. This is working under the guise the Canadian medical system is similar to the US system, but I'm sure the Canadian version is probably a bit better/user friendly.

I have a ~2 y/o. When he was born, they cleaned him off, weighed him, measured him, foot print, slapped a bracelet on his wrist, and another on his ankle, then drew blood. Gave him a moment with mom & dad, then we were moved from the delivery room to the recovery room.

I believe the notion that is quoted above is incorrect. While I did not see my wife's preparation before the delivery, I'd be shocked if they did not draw her blood as well.

unfortunately no i am not a father just yet. Though i am working on it. While I can't speak to your individual situation or to the Karlsson's, I can speak about toxicology exams. So no hospital system, unless you are kaisar permante Does their own Tox screening. Most do their blood testing through either LabCorp or Quest diagnostics. I worked for Quest when I was a undergrad. To have a lab tech do a tox screen is costly time wise and monetary wise. Any given lab is approximately 3-6 months behind on lab requests. Some take priority over others. I would imagine the loss of an infant is quite traumatic and unless hospital staff suspects foul play there would be no reason to have a tox screen done

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
unfortunately no i am not a father just yet. Though i am working on it. While I can't speak to your individual situation or to the Karlsson's, I can speak about toxicology exams. So no hospital system, unless you are kaisar permante Does their own Tox screening. Most do their blood testing through either LabCorp or Quest diagnostics. I worked for Quest when I was a undergrad. To have a lab tech do a tox screen is costly time wise and monetary wise. Any given lab is approximately 3-6 months behind on lab requests. Some take priority over others. I would imagine the loss of an infant is quite traumatic and unless hospital staff suspects foul play there would be no reason to have a tox screen done
Having a baby is a very expensive endeavor. Hospitals don't pull punches on charging someone ('s insurance) on getting stuff done. Not being a medical personnel, the difference between this blood work, and that blood work, is lost on me. However, I know they're doing blood work on something.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Having a baby is a very expensive endeavor. Hospitals don't pull punches on charging someone ('s insurance) on getting stuff done. Not being a medical personnel, the difference between this blood work, and that blood work, is lost on me. However, I know they're doing blood work on something.

Most likely a simple blood panel which is done in house. Specific tests such as hormones, tox screens, and gene expression tests take weeks to get done and are not cheap.

main reason why they take weeks is not because the tests take that much time but usually there is a backup.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I have nothing but love for Homer. Not a perfect GM by any stretch of the imagination, but he did everything he could to get us there. There were a lot of things that went against us that were just bad luck and out of his control, and then other things that he made blunders on, but he worked his ass off to put us over the top year after year, and the fact that he never got there doesn't diminish his efforts one bit for me. I'm glad the Homer Era is over and prefer the way we are doing things now, but he was a good steward for this organization for a long time.

Homer is mr Flyer. Coach, Gm, Player, now President. He is one of the most overlooked figures in this franchise history, and he is the one guy that has been associated with it the most.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Homer is mr Flyer. Coach, Gm, Player, now President. He is one of the most overlooked figures in this franchise history, and he is the one guy that has been associated with it the most.

He's really one of the people you want at the top of the decision making.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I am going through some depression and anxiety of my own right now, and you are right, it is no joke.

So am I. Was hospitalized in April for a little more than a week, and did a month of out patient. I hit rock bottom Easter weekend. It has not been fun for me at all. I have good and bad days. It cost me my job and some of my friends as well. Looking for a new job has been tough for sure.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So am I. Was hospitalized in April for a little more than a week, and did a month of out patient. I hit rock bottom Easter weekend. It has not been fun for me at all. I have good and bad days. It cost me my job and some of my friends as well. Looking for a new job has been tough for sure.

have you tried anti depressants? exercise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad