Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I want to know what you said. I got notified lol.

I overreacted in defense of Morgo going off-topic and snapped at you a little (because there is enough bandwidth and enough of a sparsity of anything happening at the moment that we can afford to go off-topic when and where we want, and it usually leads to a lot of funny and stupid ****), but I came to my senses and calmed down ;)

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
That was really brave of you to share this on this forum. I wish you the best in getting your life back on track. It can be tough. I've seen it first hand with family members, though I have been lucky enough not to have gone through things like this myself. Hopefully you have a good support system. Finding the right medication, diet and exercise, and the right amount of sleep can all go a long way towards helping with depression.
One thing that hits home from Boynton article is even though you know something is wrong you don't ask for help because of social stigma. That's why all the awareness efforts need to be applauded.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Where’s Putin?

636300247119104798-AFP-AFP-OA2IO.jpg

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm catching up, still on page 240.

But i wanna say that my girlfriend is currently going through an episode of depression, and i'm watching my best friend suffer and its tough.

So to all of you guys out there, stay strong. And i speak for everyone (i think), that if you ever need to vent, sometimes it easier to do so to a stranger, do NOT hesitate to message any of us. We'll lend you an ear.

ok, back to reading.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
One thing that hits home from Boynton article is even though you know something is wrong you don't ask for help because of social stigma. That's why all the awareness efforts need to be applauded.
I agree. People, and especially men are made to feel weak or embarrassed if they need help for mental health or addiction issues, it shouldn't be that way.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
To each his own, but it always surprises me to read so much Holmgren love. I legitimately believe he’s one of the worst general managers in the history of professional sports.

I strongly disagree with the premise that he helmed some kind of miraculous turnaround job when he took over. He inherited a great situation, record that year be damned. Very few GMs get to take over what had been a perennial playoff team, have a 21 year old Carter & Richards, a 26 year old 40 goal scoring Gagne, 22 year old 4th overall pick defenseman Pitkanen, Peter Forsberg as trade bait, 18 y/o Claude Giroux in the system, the #2 overall pick & first pick in round 2, tons of upcoming draft picks in general, & massive cap space to sign Briere, Timonen, Hartnell, & Biron.

The team he inherited couldn’t have been set up better for a quick turnaround.

The situation he got to inherit, vs. the situation he left for Hextall to inherit, are laughable. And that’s not even including that Holmgren luckily got saved from some of his worst moves.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Revisionist history. Holmgren did a phenomenal job as GM of the Flyers until his last couple of years when he become desperate to get Snider another cup before he died.

You can say that Holmgren was set up to succeed when he took over, which is true, but he still had to make good moves and he did. Trading Zhitnik for Coburn. Having the foresight to trade for Marty Biron to help him land Danny Briere that summer. Turning a pending UFA Forsberg who only had one good foot left at the time into Timonen, Hartnell, and Upshall.

The list goes on and one after that initial deadline/summer that he was GM. The Pronger trade was great. Signing Emery at a bargain rate was a great move and the team wins the cup in 2010 if that hip doesn't go bad. Trading OKT and a 5th for Ville Leino was a steal. The Carter and Richards trades were great moves, etc etc.

No doubt about that Holmgren got silly over his last couple of years as GM but he was great for the first few years. I would say four moves did Holmgren in and one of them was Snider's move 100%. Brygalov, Lecavalier, JVR for Schenn, and the MacDonald trade/contract.

Again though, to not give Holmgren credit for turning the worst team in the league around into a Stanley cup finalist in three years and ignoring the many good moves he did make is revisionist history.

Reactions: hatcher and kudymen

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
A GM that had a highly inconsistent stint as GM is not phenomenal. He was good initially....very inconsistent in between and terrible at the end. He was always fixing his own mistakes. He was also too supine to be his own man with Snider. Case in point....Bryzaster

Reactions: bobbythebrain

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So am I. Was hospitalized in April for a little more than a week, and did a month of out patient. I hit rock bottom Easter weekend. It has not been fun for me at all. I have good and bad days. It cost me my job and some of my friends as well. Looking for a new job has been tough for sure.
I've been dealing with severe depression, anxiety and OCD since around my college days and I'm pretty sure a lot of it has to do with having been mercilessly bullied as a kid. You are not alone in dealing with mental illness and people like me and others on these boards are going through this and we will always be here for you. I give you my highest praise for sharing your story and helping fight the stigma our society still regrettably has towards mental illness.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
A GM that had a highly inconsistent stint as GM is not phenomenal. He was good initially....very inconsistent in between and terrible at the end. He was always fixing his own mistakes. He was also too supine to be his own man with Snider. Case in point....Bryzaster
I didn't say he was a phenomenal GM. I said he did a phenomenal job until the last couple of years where he got silly and he did. It's trendy as a Flyers fan to bash Holmgren though so people constantly and conveniently fail to give Holmgren credit for the amazing job he did initially to turn the franchise around. Just like I said, revisionist history. He took a team from last place in the league in 2006-2007 and had them in the cup finals in 2010 and a number of his moves were a big reason why.

Reactions: hatcher

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Craig was saying the same thing with the Isles back in 2014. At a minimum I’d imagine Colorado will be walking away with at least a top ten pick next year.

Capfriendly is saying Ottawa already deferred the pick to next year anyway.

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
To each his own, but it always surprises me to read so much Holmgren love. I legitimately believe he’s one of the worst general managers in the history of professional sports.
Paul Holmgren was GM for 7 seasons if you take out his interim 1st season. He missed the playoffs once. He made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs 4 times. He made the Easter conference finals twice and the Stanley cup finals once.

If you judge a GM on actual record, it’s hard to justify saying he is one of the worst GMs in the history of professional sports. There have been teams with way more talent and assets that haven’t come anywhere close to that level of success.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Paul Holmgren was GM for 7 seasons if you take out his interim 1st season. He missed the playoffs once. He made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs 4 times. He made the Easter conference finals twice and the Stanley cup finals once.

If you judge a GM on actual record, it’s hard to justify saying he is one of the worst GMs in the history of professional sports. There have been teams with way more talent and assets that haven’t come anywhere close to that level of success.
Dropping truth bombs bro.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Holmgren was a good GM as long as he could spend like a drunken sailor.
Once the cap started to constrain his options, he was lost, because he wasn't a good drafter.
In the "real cap" era, when you can't amnesty out of bad contracts, Holmgren soon found himself over his head.

Problem for some fans is they haven't grasped the implications of a hard cap - it completely changes your strategy.
You need a steady flow of cost controlled talent to afford a few big contracts, and the operative word is "few."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad