Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LX: Covid Cup II nears its finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why? Gallant is a flat-out better coach. He gets the most out of his rosters. He's not hanging his hat on two runs with Hall of Famer calibre goaltending from 10 and 7 years ago. Gallant teams are hard to play against. Vigneault teams are decidedly not. It's a mortal lock that the Rangers will finish ahead of the Flyers next season.

Gallant made the playoffs 3 times in his career (which is fine for a coach who has only coached full seasons 5 times even though he's going to be 58 I guess), twice with Fleury as his goalie, and the other with Luongo, both of whom are absolutely going to the hall of fame. You're not successful for any period of time in this league unless you have goaltending.

There's a whole ton of recency bias with Vigneault around here. Everyone hated his Canucks teams with a passion even though he was undermanned depth-wise (they also talked a ton of shit on the ice). And I remember the Rangers werent much fun to play against since they beat us like all the time, didn't we lose like 15 games in a row at MSG or something? Sure he makes mistakes, but all this stuff where the Flyers started settling for point shots and defense backing off and generally playing Hakstolian is not nor has ever his game either.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gallant made the playoffs 3 times in his career (which is fine for a coach who has only coached full seasons 5 times even though he's going to be 58 I guess), twice with Fleury as his goalie, and the other with Luongo, both of whom are absolutely going to the hall of fame. You're not successful for any period of time in this league unless you have goaltending.

There's a whole ton of recency bias with Vigneault around here. Everyone hated his Canucks teams with a passion even though he was undermanned depth-wise (they also talked a ton of shit on the ice). And I remember the Rangers werent much fun to play against since they beat us like all the time, didn't we lose like 15 games in a row at MSG or something? Sure he makes mistakes, but all this stuff where the Flyers started settling for point shots and defense backing off and generally playing Hakstolian is not nor has ever his game either.

I don't know how you can watch the job AV did on AND off the ice this past season and give him any benefit of the doubt. He was lost in the woods, came up with excuse after excuse, threw half the team under the bus, and yet still carried himself like gods gift to hockey.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know how you can watch the job AV did on AND off the ice this past season and give him any benefit of the doubt. He was lost in the woods, came up with excuse after excuse, threw half the team under the bus, and yet still carried himself like gods gift to hockey.
I'm talking the job he's done in all of the seasons. This season was bad, and his rope is very short for next year. It's one thing to be critical of the job he did this season, but at the expense of mischaracterizing what his hallmarks are as a coach is missing the mark.

Reactions: tucson83

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Thoughts on gallant going to ny? Seems like they are on a upward trajection while we are stuck in the sand.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Montreal's lack of depth on D could be their downfall. Without Petry they basically only have 3 reliable defensemen. Price and Weber will have to be super-human in this series.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Funny to watch Keegan Kolesar as a pro. He was a big kid with the T-birds and never failed to draw the ire of the Portland crowds. The drunk ones used to shout "COLD SORE" at him.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad