Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LX: Covid Cup II nears its finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gallant was fired in Florida b/c he was a dinosaur who preferred big, slow physical defensemen and hated analytics.
In fact, he got fired in both Florida and Vegas 22 and 49 games into his 3rd season, both times after making the playoffs the previous year.
You have to be special to piss off two GMs in 4 years to that extent.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I can't help but notice that Gallant didn't get 5 years. I wonder if we ever get compensation numbers.

He coached nine years, made the playoffs 3 times, lost in the 1st rd twice, he had one good run and lost in the SC Finals 4-1.
Also got fired during the third season of each of his 3 HC gigs.
So yeah, I don't think he had a great negotiating position.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Im guessing AV will be one of the last coachs to get 5 years for a while. Other teams will use him as a cautionary tale after seeing how god awful he was in Year 2.

I doubt it. They'll just ignore last season.
What will make or break AV's reputation around the league will be this season.
Teams have clusterf--k seasons, what makes a good coach is learning and adjusting after that kind of season.

I mean HCs can't play goal. Give the Flyers an average goalie and they're neck and neck for the last PO spot.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
What also sucks is that, in addition to being completely incompetent as coaches, they’re also just garbage human beings and incredibly unlikable.

And it’s not just them, it’s from top to bottom:
Most of the fanbase are braindead trash.
The media are arrogant shills.
The broadcast pair are stupid shill cavemen.
AV and Therrien are scum.
Fletcher is the human equivalent of soggy corn flakes, with the brains to match.
Holmgren is an empty shell.
Dave Scott is a lizard.

The only aspect of this org that isn’t complete shit is a small handful of the players. Everything else is horrendous.

They're only 10 years away from being 2 years away.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
What also sucks is that, in addition to being completely incompetent as coaches, they’re also just garbage human beings and incredibly unlikable.

Fletcher is the human equivalent of soggy corn flakes, with the brains to match.
Dave Scott is a lizard.

The only aspect of this org that isn’t complete shit is a small handful of the players. Everything else is horrendous.
This post makes me think you're having a bad day.

tenor-2.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I doubt it. They'll just ignore last season.
What will make or break AV's reputation around the league will be this season.
Teams have clusterf--k seasons, what makes a good coach is learning and adjusting after that kind of season.

I mean HCs can't play goal. Give the Flyers an average goalie and they're neck and neck for the last PO spot.

AV has had consistent problems for a long time. There were disastrous aspects of the team unrelated to goaltending which have undone him in the past too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There were people who thought we were firing AV to hire Gallant?

Don't get that one. If you didn't like the AV hire or don't like it now, you shouldn't like a Gallant hire either.

That said, I do like it for the Rangers. They are the same place we were 2 years ago, where they were forced to make this kind of experienced hire.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

Don't get that one. If you didn't like the AV hire or don't like it now, you shouldn't like a Gallant hire either.

That said, I do like it for the Rangers. They are the same place we were 2 years ago, where they were forced to make this kind of experienced hire.

gallant isnt really an upgrade over av actually alot of these coaches on the block arent cooper, trotz, sullivan types either, otherwise they would have been hired right after the regular season ended. it's the reason why av is still here is because there's no one really that good that's on the block.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
gallant isnt really an upgrade over av actually alot of these coaches on the block arent cooper, trotz, sullivan types either, otherwise they would have been hired right after the regular season ended. it's the reason why av is still here is because there's no one really that good that's on the block.
None of these have anything to do with the others. Gallant had accepted that Canada job and was going to do that first. The Rangers interviewed him before he left.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Dave Scott is a lizard.

This post makes me think you're having a bad day.

View attachment 446680

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, we could have hired Lavi. Great job in Washington.
Of course, his goalies were below average, similar to the Flyers in 2017-18.
Maybe goalies matter more than most HCs?

And do systems make goalies?
Varlamov really is no better in New York than he was with the Avs, at least during the regular season.
He's become a better PO performer, but that's more on him than the scheme. Some guys learn to deal with pressure, some don't (Bob).

I'm just a bit skeptical of HCs period, for example, is Ducharme better than Julien, or is Price just playing out of his gourd in the playoffs.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Gallant was fired in Florida b/c he was a dinosaur who preferred big, slow physical defensemen and hated analytics.
In fact, he got fired in both Florida and Vegas 22 and 49 games into his 3rd season, both times after making the playoffs the previous year.
Or Vegas noticed that he wasn’t getting the job done despite, I believe, being in a high playoff position so they moved on from him.

The Flyers won’t do that.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Why? Gallant is a flat-out better coach. He gets the most out of his rosters. He's not hanging his hat on two runs with Hall of Famer calibre goaltending from 10 and 7 years ago. Gallant teams are hard to play against. Vigneault teams are decidedly not. It's a mortal lock that the Rangers will finish ahead of the Flyers next season.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Didn't you think we would win our division this year?

;)

I was hopeful AV would revert back to our pre-bubble system and the additions of Lindblom, Patrick, and Frost would be a major boon on top of that.

None of that happened and now i'm confident we will continue to play AV 2.0's garbage brand of hockey after the coachs took no responsibility for the failures we endured this past season and instead blamed covid and goaltending.

Reactions: Amorgus and Tripod

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
AV, Babcock, etc. NHL coaches aren’t really worth the money these organizations pay out. Like a lot of things in hockey these organizations are too lazy &/or ignorant to do their homework & expand their talent pool.

So they just operate off conventional wisdom which just gives value to same people over & over again.

Reactions: Rebels57

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Not Seattle-bound after all I guess, but

if that's true then he never would have been high on Francis' list anyway. They seem intent on living or dying by analytics.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I was hopeful AV would revert back to our pre-bubble system and the additions of Lindblom, Patrick, and Frost would be a major boon on top of that.

None of that happened and now i'm confident we will continue to play AV 2.0's garbage brand of hockey after the coachs took no responsibility for the failures we endured this past season and instead blamed covid and goaltending.
He is just messing with you.

This year we win the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad