Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LX: Covid Cup II nears its finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There isn’t really a distinguishable difference between the first & second units on the PP. Which is the issue. The ice time & usage is essentially split in half. Therrien essentially arranges players around like deck chairs with no regard even in game let alone through multiple games.

Just truly stupid shit. That somehow is going to go unchecked.

He regularly arranges and swaps the PP by putting 5v5 linemates together, not actually accounting for PP roles and fit and strengths. He should go coach in the KHL, where that's the norm. It's so painfully lazy.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Jesus Christ. I didn’t even notice that said Vigneault was never known for point shots and conservative play. He wasn’t in New York for the most part. Some of his Canucks teams sure as shit were. Even his Montreal teams were some of the most defense-first teams of the dead puck era. We’re just making shit up again.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Jesus Christ. I didn’t even notice that said Vigneault was never known for point shots and conservative play. He wasn’t in New York for the most part. Some of his Canucks teams sure as shit were. Even his Montreal teams were some of the most defense-first teams of the dead puck era. We’re just making shit up again.
I have grown used to your graph avatar. This is an unwelcome change. :p:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There were people who thought we were firing AV to hire Gallant?

Don't get that one. If you didn't like the AV hire or don't like it now, you shouldn't like a Gallant hire either.

That said, I do like it for the Rangers. They are the same place we were 2 years ago, where they were forced to make this kind of experienced hire.

Gallant's short-ass shelf life is weird. It's also weird that Florida just left him behind when they fired him; I know they're Florida, but good luck convincing me they couldn't afford a cab and whatever else. They just wanted him absolutely f***ing gone instantly.

I don't think I've ever seen anything about players being malcontent under him but he must drive management entirely bonkers. Based on what we just saw in New York with their management, this could end up being really interesting.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Gallant's short-ass shelf life is weird. It's also weird that Florida just left him behind when they fired him; I know they're Florida, but good luck convincing me they couldn't afford a cab and whatever else. They just wanted him absolutely f***ing gone instantly.

I don't think I've ever seen anything about players being malcontent under him but he must drive management entirely bonkers. Based on what we just saw in New York with their management, this could end up being really interesting.

Every coach has a short shelf life. There's maybe 2-3 coaches in the past 20 years who deserve/can be effective for longer than 3 years at a time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Every coach has a short shelf life. There's maybe 2-3 coaches in the past 20 years who deserve/can be effective for longer than 3 years at a time.

Which is why I worry more about the team than the coach.
AV will resolve himself, either the team reverts back to spring 2020 or he's gone.
Thing is, that was the best the Flyers looked in a decade, of course, that was the best goaltending since Mason's peak couple years.

The important thing this offseason is Fletcher doesn't panic and make a "strip the talent" for a name deal, it's once thing to steal Eichel or add Jones or Hamilton, quite another to add the cap hit, and give up #13, a top young player and another prospect - creating a top heavy cap structure with a thinner group of replacements as cap considerations force future moves. That way lies permanent mediocrity like the previous decade (two good lines, bad forward depth, a thin defense and questionable goaltending).

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
He had two 100+ point seasons in his last few years in New York. I hope he can be legitimately terrible like that in 21-22.

2015-2016 & 2016-2017 are interesting... Very hot starts by W/L in the first 20 or so games, then just good enough to hold onto the lead. Those weren't dominant teams, I'd say. 2017-2018 was more back than forth.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I wonder if he had a crazy personality to go with that as well. You know like cechmanek or mr universe himself.

i remember Barnaby on the spittin chiclets podcast said him & most of his teammates didn’t really like Hasek personally. Nothing really to do with hockey. He admitted Hasek really elevated their teams in Buffalo to make up for the lack of sum parts there compared to other teams. I think he said he was the best goalie to ever play too.

He didn’t really go into it but essentially just said Hasek was a weird dude who wasn’t easy to get along with away from hockey.

Well he demanded that his team blast shots at his head in warmups so he could practice making face saves, so I'm guessing "yes"

Hašek was and is absolutely normal, see below his photoshoot with fellow goaltending (football/soccer) legend Petr Čech

201855583_4661329803881830_1288987348088998608_n.jpg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale @FLYguy3911 @Magua @Stizzle

I need the name of a player or two who is an analytical standout, but wouldn't necessarily move the needle on an eye test - someone who does a spectacular job (any position) but doesn't seem spectacular. I am not being sarcastic for once - I'm legit curious.

High-end players: Devon Toews, Joel Eriksson Ek

Depth pieces: Marcus Foligno, Vladislav Gavrikov

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@JojoTheWhale @FLYguy3911 @Magua @Stizzle

I need the name of a player or two who is an analytical standout, but wouldn't necessarily move the needle on an eye test - someone who does a spectacular job (any position) but doesn't seem spectacular. I am not being sarcastic for once - I'm legit curious.

Do you mean.....available players? Like trade/free agency?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad