Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No it's not enough. Imagine this:
Sign 8x8.5M at age 24.
Then, what do you get to sign for at 32? let's say 5x7M (forwards don't age as well, but inflation).
That's a total of 103M in earnings.

Now, reverse the sequence:
Sign for 5x7.5 =37.5M
At age 29, he will sign for a much higher AAV, like 9.5M
8x9.5M = 76m
Total of about 112M in earnings.

That's the math.
So, for 9M extra over 13 years, would you counsel him that it wise to take the risk? What if he has a serious injury, illness, or his game simply doesn't progress? In the first instance he gets twice as much as in the second. Keep in mind that both models have him making over 100M, which is an enormous payout for any man.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rangers for Lafreniere. Kaprizov makes them immediately better.
I love what Kaprizov brings to the team, and would hate to see him go, but if he really doesn't want to be here then the sooner we rip the bandaid off, the better. Laf isn't close to what Kap is at this time, but is far younger, and his timeline suits our salary structure far better. I think NYR need to be good right now, while Panarin and Zibanejad are in their primes. NY is a town that is very impatient.

I don't see that our team is anything but a bubble team in the playoffs at best over the next 3-4 years, until we get out from under the buyouts.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Are those extra 3 years at the back of the contract really worth the extra cap space it'll take up in the medium term, while we're cap-crunched? I think you can make arguments both ways there, but it's not exactly a catastrophe to get him at a lower cap hit with more options.

The only issue you run into with a short contract is that you have to figure that Kaprizov isn't going to be in future plans. If you build around Kaprizov and he bolts - hope you have a plan b, c and d.

Edit: BTW this is why I like talking to Bazeek. He's rational, calm and articulate. I think we can all take a lesson from him. He doesn't attack, he doesn't snipe. He provides a good debate.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The only issue you run into with a short contract is that you have to figure that Kaprizov isn't going to be in future plans. If you build around Kaprizov and he bolts - hope you have a plan b, c and d.
Our sense of scale might just be much different because I wouldn't consider a 5 year contract "short term." I also don't see much point in planning things out 5+ years into the future except in the broadest possible terms, though. There could well be players on the 2026-27 roster that haven't even been drafted yet.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Our sense of scale might just be much different because I wouldn't consider a 5 year contract "short term." I also don't see much point in planning things out 5+ years into the future except in the broadest possible terms, though. There could well be players on the 2026-27 roster that haven't even been drafted yet.

Very true, but you can start taking shape of your roster with some 'veterans' by then. More so, the year 3 and 4 is the most problematic for the Wild with 15 million in cap space already taken by two players not here. Finally 5 years, while not a 'short term' contract means that the Wild has a small window to compete in. The buyouts for Parise and Suter really, really mess up the timelines a LOT.

In my mind - it seems really odd:

Year 1 - don't really compete, but maybe make the playoffs?
Year 2 - cap space goes up, but so does Parise/Suter buyouts. Again don't compete but maybe make the playoffs?
Year 3 - ??? Cap space is eaten up by Parise/Suter buyouts. Do we compete now? What's the plan?

Tread water for 4 years?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Very true, but you can start taking shape of your roster with some 'veterans' by then. More so, the year 3 and 4 is the most problematic for the Wild with 15 million in cap space already taken by two players not here. Finally 5 years, while not a 'short term' contract means that the Wild has a small window to compete in. The buyouts for Parise and Suter really, really mess up the timelines a LOT.
If 2023-25 are going to be the worst years cap-wise is that not an argument in favor of offering medium-term deals that keep the AAV lower but still give the team options for an extension after the buyouts expire? The trade-off is certainty vs flexibility, which is basically the same trade-off as the buyouts themselves but in reverse. I just don't see it as a problem, especially when we've already got several players (Spurgeon, Brodin and Eriksson-Ek) already signed long term as "tent-pole" types. I can see why they'd be interested in making Kaprizov a 4th, but I don't think it's all that crucial.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If 2023-25 are going to be the worst years cap-wise is that not an argument in favor of offering medium-term deals that keep the AAV lower but still give the team options for an extension after the buyouts expire? The trade-off is certainty vs flexibility, which is basically the same trade-off as the buyouts themselves but in reverse. I just don't see it as a problem, especially when we've already got several players (Spurgeon, Brodin and Eriksson-Ek) already signed long term as "tent-pole" types. I can see why they'd be interested in making Kaprizov a 4th, but I don't think it's all that crucial.

You're banking though on those extensions being in place, but if Kaprizov doesn't seem improvement, why won't he just walk? Which could cause a lot more issues down the road.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You're banking though on those extensions being in place, but if Kaprizov doesn't seem improvement, why won't he just walk? Which could cause a lot more issues down the road.
I'm not banking on an extension being in place, I'm just saying it'll be possible in terms of the cap space. If Kaprizov and/or the team don't want to extend the contract there are other things they can do, namely trade him as a rental or "rent" him themselves. Neither of those are inherently bad options.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

You sign him for 4 years so you can make a competitive extension offer the summer before the 4th year. If he doesn't accept, then he doesn't see the ice in a Wild jersey that year.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Send him to Buffalo as the main piece for Eichel and let Fiala ,who's only 1 yr older, go back and be the guy he was 2 yrs ago.

Reactions: nt3005

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
It is pure Minnesota sports that after one season the discussion is already who the Wild can get back for the best scorer in franchise history lol.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
They players they brought in last year were brought in because they had expiring deals and would be easy to get rid of. All of the players added so far this offseason are on 1 or 2 year deals for the same reason. That's going to be the reality for the next 4 seasons, which were always going to be rough ones.
well if guerin knew he was gonna buyout parise & suter we could have protected kunin instead bonino's gone and we have a 2nd rnd pick who may or may not ever play in the nhl? we gave up a 20G scorer for that? another guerin fail. guerin being a rookie gm is starting to look like another craig leipold fail. maybe time to start a wild need new ownership thread?

Reactions: Nino Noderreiter

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
well if guerin knew he was gonna buyout parise & suter we could have protected kunin instead bonino's gone and we have a 2nd rnd pick who may or may not ever play in the nhl? we gave up a 20G scorer for that? another guerin fail. guerin being a rookie gm is starting to look like another craig leipold fail. maybe time to start a wild need new ownership thread?
I mean, really the biggest mistake this organization ever made was trading Zucker. I don't know the organization will ever recover.
Kunin for Bonino is a nothing trade. Additionally we received Marat in the trade so I don't know how you can call it a fail yet, but you do you man. You do you.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Kunin is also not a 20 goal scorer...
Was on a 20 goal pace... while still getting destroyed in possession despite being given more favorable zone starts than ever before. I didn't watch the preds at all last year but I'm gonna hazard a guess he's still nothing that will move the needle for us.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Was on a 20 goal pace... while still getting destroyed in possession despite being given more favorable zone starts than ever before. I didn't watch the preds at all last year but I'm gonna hazard a guess he's still nothing that will move the needle for us.
Extrapolating the games he missed...it was more like 15 over a full season. But yes...I agree he's nothing to lose sleep over

Reactions: Victorious Secret

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You sign him for 4 years so you can make a competitive extension offer the summer before the 4th year. If he doesn't accept, then he doesn't see the ice in a Wild jersey that year.
I do not recall seeing this strategy work.

Rather, it becomes a distraction and then the Sword of Damocles over the team during one or two seasons they are supposed to be making a run, and then the final year is a painful "will he, won't he" where the team has to take a step back right at the time things need to come together.

He is either part of the plan or not. If not, better to know sooner then later.

Sell high. Move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad