Minnesota Wild General Discussion XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I don't think we will ever get a full on tank fest, but I think for the next 4 years we will see some type of long term retool. I expect picks anywhere from 8-12. I trust Judd to get us a few guys over that time that can help us go deep in a playoff sometime.

It is going to suck to waste the prime of Fiala and Kaprizov but blame Chuck not getting Kaprizov over earlier when we could've used him. I also expect Fiala to get traded in a year or too if they are looking to get more draft capital and prospects. Unless he signs long term on a fair cap hit.
Kaprizov didn't become Kaprizov of today until Chuck was gone

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kaprizov didn't become Kaprizov of today until Chuck was gone

Chuck was gone in the spring of 2019.

Kaprizov's 2016-17 season in the KHL was 20 goals and 42 points in 49 games, plus 9 goals and 12 points in 7 games at the WJC.

Kaprizov's 2017-18 season in the KHL was 40 points in 46 games, plus 9 points in 6 Olympic games and 8 points in 8 World Championship games.

His KHL contract expired after the 2017-18 season (to the best of my recollection). This is undoubtedly the time that he should've crossed over and was fully under Fletcher's watch.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I love that goodbye piece from Suter. A lot. It's more emotion from him than we've seen his entire career here combined, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to write.

So... Do we boo him louder than Nashville ever did to show our appreciation?? Kidding of course. I'm going to the first home game against Dallas to applaud and cheer as much as I can.

As an aside, don't roast me. I know the departures from Nashville and Minnesota are wildly different circumstances, calm down.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
There's the Suter who wrote this article, the Suter on the Wild video who spends a lot of time with his kids on their land, and the Suter that Russo suggestively portrays as a difficult prima donna. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
There's the Suter who wrote this article, the Suter on the Wild video who spends a lot of time with his kids on their land, and the Suter that Russo suggestively portrays as a difficult prima donna. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.
Of course. Anyone who has only interacted with someone in a work setting for a year or more and one day finds themselves with this person outside of work usually sees an entirely different individual, good or bad.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
what is the plan? all the players (except bjugstad) we brought in last year aren't coming back? does that mean guerin whiffed? hey guerin its your job to find a center! i think we're in for a rough next 4 years.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
what is the plan? all the players (except bjugstad) we brought in last year aren't coming back? does that mean guerin whiffed? hey guerin its your job to find a center! i think we're in for a rough next 4 years.
They players they brought in last year were brought in because they had expiring deals and would be easy to get rid of. All of the players added so far this offseason are on 1 or 2 year deals for the same reason. That's going to be the reality for the next 4 seasons, which were always going to be rough ones.

Reactions: HotDish and MuckOG

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They players they brought in last year were brought in because they had expiring deals and would be easy to get rid of. All of the players added so far this offseason are on 1 or 2 year deals for the same reason. That's going to be the reality for the next 4 seasons, which were always going to be rough ones.

Essentially, rebuilding.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Based on not signing guys to long term deals? I wouldn't say that. Keeping the bottom of your roster on short, cheap deals is good practice regardless of what state your team is in.

This. Because it leaves room open if your young guys hit. Then you are even cheaper because they are on ELCs. For for years, that will be what we need.

Reactions: Bazeek and HotDish

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Based on not signing guys to long term deals? I wouldn't say that. Keeping the bottom of your roster on short, cheap deals is good practice regardless of what state your team is in.

Based on - well, the team. You can't honestly see this team going far in the playoffs if they make it that far do you? Not to mention the continued hints that Guerin is on the verge of trading Fiala and that Kaprizov is unhappy here.

At this point, this team should be trying to get as many first and second round picks in the 2022 and 2023 draft, start building a team in 2024 and 2025 and start competing in 2026.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Based on - well, the team. You can't honestly see this team going far in the playoffs if they make it that far do you? Not to mention the continued hints that Guerin is on the verge of trading Fiala and that Kaprizov is unhappy here.

At this point, this team should be trying to get as many first and second round picks in the 2022 and 2023 draft, start building a team in 2024 and 2025 and start competing in 2026.

I feel like this is a straw man argument. Who around here is suggesting that the team as currently constructed is built to go deep into the playoffs? Nobody that I've seen. Everyone understands that this is a team in transition, not a team that is ready to contend.

I disagree that the team needs to sell everything off. Kaprizov will get signed by training camp, I'll bet my next paycheck on it. I also think Fiala comes back as well. The next couple of seasons will be about Rossi, Boldy and Addison breaking into the line-up with other prospects hopefully sprinkling in over the next few seasons. Not all of them will pan out, but hopefully a few will.

What slowed the transition down, IMO, was the Wild making the playoffs last season. I'm sure Guerin figured that he could get extra selections for Bjugstad, Bonino, Johansson, et al, but because the Wild make the postseason, he rewarded the team by keeping it together. Notice he didn't go out an add to it with a TDL deal.

It seems fairly obvious to me what is going on, doesn't feel like a mystery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad