Minnesota Wild General Discussion XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, a 28 yo who has scored 18 pts. in 103 games in the NHL is our new #2c? I didn't know how Evason/Guerin could do worse than Marcus Johansson or Ryan Hartman as our #2C, but it appears that they can...much worse.

This is a f***ing joke.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
So, a 28 yo who has scored 18 pts. in 103 games in the NHL is our new #2c? I didn't know how Evason/Guerin could do worse than Marcus Johansson or Ryan Hartman as our #2C, but it appears that they can...much worse.

This is a f***ing joke.
Maybe Fiala is going to the 4th line because he made Guerin upset in the negotiations. :sarcasm:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

This is a f***ing joke.
Technically 3c. Fialas line is not 1 or 2

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Russo's article is now up on the Athletic. Supposedly a guess on the Fiala arbitration situation. Anyone have a subscription?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Russo's article is now up on the Athletic. Supposedly a guess on the Fiala arbitration situation. Anyone have a subscription?
I do

EDIT:

Read the article. My takeaways:
1) Wild aren't sold on committing to him long term (7-8 years) at a hefty price.
2) Fiala wants a short deal. Likely a deal to 2023 where he would be a UFA
3) Fiala weary of signing a long term deal as it would make him good trade bait
4 Wild selected for arbitration to guarantee there will be a solution and that Fiala won't miss any of training camp (unlike 19-20)

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He thinks they filed for arbitration to ensure that Fiala's signed by the start of training camp. They could negotiate a contract before the arbitration hearing but (he thinks) the team doesn't want to offer more than 4 years unless the cap number is very team-friendly, and (he thinks) Fiala's likely to be wary of signing for much term if his name keeps coming up in Eichel trade talk.

If Russo's correct it might be more likely than not that this is settled in arbitration and Fiala ends up on a 1 or 2 year contract.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Enjoy him while he's here I guess. Probably won't be for much longer.
Unfortunately this probably cuts into his trade value pretty badly as well. A 2-year contract takes him right to UFA, but even a 1-year deal puts him in the situation Reinhart is currently in where he can just elect for arbitration again next year and walk.

In light of the other things they've done and not done this summer, if they were going to trade him they probably should have done it before the draft.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I do

EDIT:

1) Wild aren't sold on committing to him long term (7-8 years) at a hefty price.
4 Wild selected for arbitration to guarantee there will be a solution and that Fiala won't miss any of training camp (unlike 19-20)

Not sure if I agree with the bolded. Surely Fiala would have filed for arbitration himself if that was his end goal?

For me, the most interesting takeaway was how the arbitration process has changed, possibly making the arbitration ruling a more likely outcome than before:
The only change to this process is once the hearing starts, the arbitrator is the only one that gets to make the decision. In past years, contract talks between the two sides could continue up until a ruling.

Reactions: Bazeek

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I do

EDIT:

I feel like these 2 contradict. I thinking signing short term makes the Wild more likely to trade you since you almost signal that you want out vs committing long term. I would argue signing long term makes the wild less likely to make you trade bait, but IDK.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Makes a lot of sense if he doesn't want to end up in Buffalo. If Eichel is traded soon, it might make him more open to signing a 4-5 year contract.

But if he thinks he's going to be trade bait regardless or if it's Eichel or not, he might just rather opt for free agency where the team signing him actually wants him and he can choose his destination.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Makes a lot of sense if he doesn't want to end up in Buffalo. If Eichel is traded soon, it might make him more open to signing a 4-5 year contract.

But if he thinks he's going to be trade bait regardless or if it's Eichel or not, he might just rather opt for free agency where the team signing him actually wants him and he can choose his destination.

And get trade protection from the start.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
If he's worried about being trade bait, couldn't BG offer a longer term with a partial NTC now?

Or, does the lack of such actually mean BG considers him to be trading stock?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If he's worried about being trade bait, couldn't BG offer a longer term with a partial NTC now?

Or, does the lack of such actually mean BG considers him to be trading stock?
They can't add immediate trade protection. It can only kick in once he's at UFA age.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Of course, this line of thinking (that Fiala won't sign long term here because he doesn't want to be trade bait) means Guerin has successfully alienated him and burned that bridge, and for what?

Put another tally in the L column if true.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Of course, this line of thinking (that Fiala won't sign long term here because he doesn't want to be trade bait) means Guerin has successfully alienated him and burned that bridge, and for what?

Put another tally in the L column if true.

Not sure that this is fair.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not sure that this is fair.

It's all speculation. I'm not putting him on the cross yet. But if this whole situation is happening, and we lose Fiala to free agency because of Guerin's actions, how is that not on Guerin?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
What's Leipold's net worth, and have his other businesses suffered in the pandemic?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's all speculation. I'm not putting him on the cross yet. But if this whole situation is happening, and we lose Fiala to free agency because of Guerin's actions, how is that not on Guerin?

Because it's really just people on the outside doing math. Not really under Guerin's control, unless he wanted to publicly disavow us from being in the Eichel conversation anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->