Minnesota Wild General Discussion XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
On Friedman's latest podcast he was saying that if it goes up at all, and that certainly isn't promised, it would be about 1 million per year.

Even that helps, covers one ELC each season.

Since the players owe the owners, because they were paid much closer to their nominal salaries than to the 50% of HRR last year, there is an agreement to more or less freeze the cap until that starts to be paid back, or until its nearly paid back.

Unfortunately, it is a very large deficit, and so it won't be paid back any time soon.

I do remember reading that there may be room to raise the cap 1M a year while all of that goes on, however.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Since the players owe the owners, because they were paid much closer to their nominal salaries than to the 50% of HRR last year, there is an agreement to more or less freeze the cap until that starts to be paid back, or until its nearly paid back.

Unfortunately, it is a very large deficit, and so it won't be paid back any time soon.

I do remember reading that there may be room to raise the cap 1M a year while all of that goes on, however.
Yes, the cap is limited to $1MM increases for the next 4 years unless escrow is fully covered, and even those small increases require solid revenue. There is potential we see actual increases by years 3 or 4 but it would require a major revenue jump and is highly unlikely.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yes, the cap is limited to $1MM increases for the next 4 years unless escrow is fully covered, and even those small increases require solid revenue. There is potential we see actual increases by years 3 or 4 but it would require a major revenue jump and is highly unlikely.
Only option is Zucc will be traded/bought out and Greenway will likely be traded as well. No other movable contracts.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
As a non-Wild fan but someone who lived there for 15 years so I got to follow closely, I do like what BG is doing for your team. The buyouts were necessary at least for ZP. The Suter one I felt he could have rode out another couple years but he must have been really toxic in the locker room or something. Overall the Wild are trending in the right direction finally (except for the name). It takes time but he is doing the right thing I feel pulling the band aid off of other failed GMs.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
So what is the Wild defense next year?
Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin, Goligoski, Addison?, ?

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I wouldn't expect it to be worse than the season Suter was injured, which I didn't think was an abomination. But it was in the Before Times and those memories are blurry and can't be trusted.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
They'll be middle-of-the-NHL-pack average, defensively, IMO.

Wild, as usual, will be fighting for that 7th/8th Western playoff spot, I suspect. With good goaltending, and Kaprizov having a better year than last...

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
They'll be middle-of-the-NHL-pack average, defensively, IMO.

Wild, as usual, will be fighting for that 7th/8th Western playoff spot, I suspect. With good goaltending, and Kaprizov having a better year than last...

The truth is we've been like that ^ for as long as I can remember.

We really should pull a tankfest for as many years as it takes to get some blue-chippers in here. Chicago was abysmal for...forever, but I guess that's what it took for them to get three Cups.

No one here would like it, and attendance would take a North-Stars-like dip, I'm sure, in the meantime, but we've never got a true Blue-chipper - except for maybe Gaborik (we truthfully lucked out on Kaprizov in rd 3 or 5 or whatever it was).

We need a proper tankfest

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
The truth is we've been like that ^ for as long as I can remember.

We really should pull a tankfest for as many years as it takes to get some blue-chippers in here. Chicago was abysmal for...forever, but I guess that's what it took for them to get three Cups.

No one here would like it, and attendance would take a North-Stars-like dip, I'm sure, in the meantime, but we've never got a true Blue-chipper - except for maybe Gaborik (we truthfully lucked out on Kaprizov in rd 3 or 5 or whatever it was).

We need a proper tankfest
I don't think we will ever get a full on tank fest, but I think for the next 4 years we will see some type of long term retool. I expect picks anywhere from 8-12. I trust Judd to get us a few guys over that time that can help us go deep in a playoff sometime.

It is going to suck to waste the prime of Fiala and Kaprizov but blame Chuck not getting Kaprizov over earlier when we could've used him. I also expect Fiala to get traded in a year or too if they are looking to get more draft capital and prospects. Unless he signs long term on a fair cap hit.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
We should definitely tank and blow up the team in the hopes of getting some guys like Kaprizov and that one who's available because everyone's fleeing an existing blue chip factory.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think we will ever get a full on tank fest, but I think for the next 4 years we will see some type of long term retool. I expect picks anywhere from 8-12. I trust Judd to get us a few guys over that time that can help us go deep in a playoff sometime.

It is going to suck to waste the prime of Fiala and Kaprizov but blame Chuck not getting Kaprizov over earlier when we could've used him. I also expect Fiala to get traded in a year or too if they are looking to get more draft capital and prospects. Unless he signs long term on a fair cap hit.
I am not saying that you are right, but if things do trend that way then Guerin has to look at trading Kap and Fiala while they will fetch something. In general, I think tanking is a bad strategy. Sitting a couple of your best players who have nagging injuries at the end of a lousy season so as to move down in the standings is another thing.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota

When we do this, I assume Kaprizov's getting moved as well. Kinda wish they'd get to it as the 2022 &2023 drafts are supposed to be awesome from what little I've heard

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Truth of the matter is that tanking doesn't always lead to the results. Edmonton had 12 #1 picks in 13 years (obviously joking) and still can't win to save their lives.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Truth of the matter is that tanking doesn't always lead to the results. Edmonton had 12 #1 picks in 13 years (obviously joking) and still can't win to save their lives.

Depends on how you build your team; Tampa Bay has had two top 3 picks (Hedman and Stamkos).

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I agree with this. Full on tanking is always a gamble. For every Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay. There is a Buffalo, Edmonton, and Florida.

Though at least Florida and Edmonton look to be climbing back.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I agree with this. Full on tanking is always a gamble. For every Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay. There is a Buffalo, Edmonton, and Florida.

Though at least Florida and Edmonton look to be climbing back.

The one thing Buffalo, Edmonton and Florida have in common is terrible drafting and terrible free agent signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad