Minnesota Wild General Discussion XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Do you guys think our window is the next 1-5 years with the way the d core is constructed? Does BG NEED to make an off-season move for a center? By some miracle this team is now skating and competing, unlike the slow start to our year.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Do you guys think our window is the next 1-5 years with the way the d core is constructed? Does BG NEED to make an off-season move for a center? By some miracle this team is now skating and competing, unlike the slow start to our year.
I think Rossi will be an improvement and at least the 2C next year. Outside of that I think they could make a trade for a center or FA. Truthfully I don’t think this teams needs a high end center to really contend.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
No he doesn't.

Rossi with Kap = winning.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think Rossi will be an improvement and at least the 2C next year. Outside of that I think they could make a trade for a center or FA. Truthfully I don’t think this teams needs a high end center to really contend.
Agreed, a high end 1C is not a must with how this team is constructed

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

this is why i suggested signing getzlaf or statsny for a year or two. should be a decent price. not required to keep long

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Getzlaf would be intriguing. I don't think he has the skates to keep up though but for a 1 or 2 year deal I wouldn't oppose the experiment.

Would likely bring a winning attitude in the locker room.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Getzlaf would be intriguing. I don't think he has the skates to keep up though but for a 1 or 2 year deal I wouldn't oppose the experiment.

Would likely bring a winning attitude in the locker room.
I'm not sure what type of winning attitude Getzlaf would bring. He's way over the hill and hasn't won anything since he was carried to a cup nearly 2 decades ago.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Need to make a move? No. But I think it would be smart to not have to hope that the kids are ready. It may take Rossi a lot of time physically to be ready for those minutes and responsibilities. And if GMBG didn’t want Staal I’m not sure why he would want Getzlaf. His game is going off a cliff too.

Reactions: 57special

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
i mean, he is on anaheim.... are his stats a reflection of his play regressing or being on a crappy team? The reason i suggested him or statsny is we still will have JEE and Rossi on the roster... so having a vet that can move up and down the top 9 is honestly probably okay.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
this is why i suggested signing getzlaf or statsny for a year or two. should be a decent price. not required to keep long
I would fear both of those guys would just be like another Bonino. I don't think finding a stop gap is a bad idea. I just want someone that would be able to keep up with a Fiala or Kaprizov.

Just looking at UFAs, not saying it is likely they get to open market.

Zach Hyman 29
Scott Laughton 27
Alex Iafallo 27
Mikhail Grigorenko 27

You might have to lock some of these guys for 3 or so years, but with their age that is fine because I don't see their cap hits being crazy high.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I would fear both of those guys would just be like another Bonino. I don't think finding a stop gap is a bad idea. I just want someone that would be able to keep up with a Fiala or Kaprizov.

Just looking at UFAs, not saying it is likely they get to open market.

Zach Hyman 29
Scott Laughton 27
Alex Iafallo 27
Mikhail Grigorenko 27

You might have to lock some of these guys for 3 or so years, but with their age that is fine because I don't see their cap hits being crazy high.

if we go that route lafallo and laughton have my attention more than the others... i will say though that the two vets i listed have at least produced at a high level in their career and was thinking maybe we could catch a staal like lightning in a bottle again

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
if we go that route lafallo and laughton have my attention more than the others... i will say though that the two vets i listed have at least produced at a high level in their career and was thinking maybe we could catch a staal like lightning in a bottle again
Staal was 32 though when he came to the Wild both Getzlaf and Stastny will be 36. I think trying to find a vet that can produce again like Staal we need to find someone younger.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal had his really good years with us when he was 32-3 yo. Getzlaf will be 36 yo, and speed was never his game to begin with. If you look at his production the past two years you will clearly see his decline. Getzlaf will be Koivuesque by the time next year rolls around in terms of speed. If BG trades for him I will pull my hair out.

I am all for playing JEE(top 6 C) and Sturm(#3C) up the lineup as much as possible next year. We are likely stuck with Rask for the final year of his contract. It looks like Hartman can be a bottom six C in a pinch...I would be on board with signing him at a contract similar to Foligno's. Rossi will need to be brought along slowly, but we will want him to be put in positions (i.e. #2PP) where he can run the offense. I wish there was another C prospect that merited a look, but Khovanov can't even play in the KHL, and isn't burning up the VHL. Dewar looks good, but a prototypical AHL'er. Dumont is 30 yo. McBain...meh. I hope that Bonino is not an option.

JEE
Rossi
Sturm
Hartman
Rask

Not great, or even good, but I don't want to overpay for a RNH, or a Strome.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Does anyone think that Ryan Johansen is salvageable? I think he's got 4 years left after this one, at a 8M cap hit, which is awful considering his production.

Rask + Johansson(hilarious that both have NTC's:doh:) for Johansen + ? (Tomasino/ 2nd?)

Would be a risky move for us, for sure, if not downright dumb. If Tomasino was included I'd have to think about it, though.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I really like Scott Laughton as a player and think there’s more there than he’s given credit for. I’d pick him up as a middle-six center, but it’s not like we need those right now.

EDIT: looking at his production, I don’t know that he wouldn’t work as a top 6 center. He’d certainly be better than Rask. Over the last 2 seasons he’s been on a 47 point pace combining them together, and that’s with virtually no PP time

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I really like Scott Laughton as a player and think there’s more there than he’s given credit for. I’d pick him up as a middle-six center, but it’s not like we need those right now.

EDIT: looking at his production, I don’t know that he wouldn’t work as a top 6 center. He’d certainly be better than Rask. Over the last 2 seasons he’s been on a 47 point pace combining them together, and that’s with virtually no PP time
I always liked the way he looked, but apparently he could never quite make things happen in PHI. Penciling him in as a top 6 C is really optimistic, IMO. I mean, his career high is 32 pts, and he's had 1 PP point in his entire career. I'd rather have Sturm/Hartman/JEE/Rask(we're stuck with him, anyway) than go outside and bring in another offensive Black hole. We've got those.

I'd save my $$ for someone who can score, or set up scorers.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I always liked the way he looked, but apparently he could never quite make things happen in PHI. Penciling him in as a top 6 C is really optimistic, IMO. I mean, his career high is 32 pts, and he's had 1 PP point in his entire career. I'd rather have Sturm/Hartman/JEE/Rask(we're stuck with him, anyway) than go outside and bring in another offensive Black hole. We've got those.

I'd save my $$ for someone who can score, or set up scorers.
I never said pencil him in as a top-6 center. I’d give him a shot, but he won’t be expensive so it’s low risk and he’s a useful middle-six guy if he can’t take that last step

Reactions: HotDish

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
We’re definelty more of a playoff pretender than anything, but I wouldn’t say we’re extremely far away based on the games against Vegas. Center ice position needs to be addressed big time, but the next few season should be encouraging. I just hope Fiala can get back on track

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We have seen the real benefit of allowing young players to play important minutes in order for them to grow and not block them with vets.

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad