Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
In general, I agree with what you say. However, the Wild have lost a little bit of credibility IMO with how they've approached the draft over the past few years. They have developed a track record of valuing character and two-way play over all else and it seems to have bitten them in the behind when you look at players like Bussieres, Draeger, Gabriel, Lucia et al. and where they were picked and how they turned out.

So, it's no surprise to me that fans are a little gun shy.
Bussieres and Draeger were perfectly fine draft picks for where they were slotted. Bussieres went no where developmentally, but I don't fault scouts for liking him when he was 17. I when saw him and thought his play style would match well onto the NHL game. And he got much better as the year went on before he was drafted.

Gabriel and Lucia were the stretches.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Bussieres and Draeger were perfectly fine draft picks for where they were slotted. Bussieres went no where developmentally, but I don't fault scouts for liking him when he was 17. I when saw him and thought his play style would match well onto the NHL game. And he got much better as the year went on before he was drafted.

Gabriel and Lucia were the stretches.

In retrospect, sure.

This is what's interesting about post-draft Monday Morning qbing. Just taking Central Scouting's word for it both Lucia and Filip Johansson were perfectly reasonable. Johansson was top ten for Euros, so there's an easy argument there for picking him in the Top 25. I believe Lucia was around 40 - 2nd round pick all day if you trust them at all. Bussieres was an incredibly off the board pick: 129th among NA skaters, picked in the 2nd (46th overall). BUT Jordan Martinook, who turned out to actually be a decent depth player in the NHL, was ranked 128th and went 58th.

Basically, not a good draft for anyone (three of the top five PICKS are already out the league!), but judging a player based on where scouting services or websites had him is .... pretty useless!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Busseires seemed unnecessary as we had another guy similar to him in Bulmer taken a year before. Both big guys that could hit. I wanted Martin Frk, Colton Sissons, Dalton Thrower (who didn't do anything) more than him.

stranger

Jan 18, 2015
MN
I hope you're right, but there isn't a GM in the league that takes Trouba over Dumba.

I'll assume you actually believe that...but you have it backwards.

There was a good argument that Dumba shouldn't even have been protected in the expansion draft. And this is on a team not exactly stacked with talent.

Assuming Trouba signs, I assume it'll be around 6.5 million. I can't imagine anyone would pay Dumba over 3.9

Goose312

May 15, 2015

There was a good argument that Dumba shouldn't even have been protected in the expansion draft. And this is on a team not exactly stacked with talent.

Assuming Trouba signs, I assume it'll be around 6.5 million. I can't imagine anyone would pay Dumba over 3.9
Obvious troll is obvious.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Ohhhhhhh you must be one of SoH’s alts.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Sometimes I think being this dumb would be a blessing.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Did I say it makes more sense to say every GM thinks Dumba is better than Trouba? Did I even imply anything close to it?

No, but that's how the "discussion" started. It's not like there's some enormous volume of posts to sift to find the context.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No, but that's how the "discussion" started. It's not like there's some enormous volume of posts to sift to find the context.

I’ve actually followed the discussion from the start and I’ll ask that you not try to hold me accountable for what other people say, just as I do for you. If you have an issue with what another poster said, refer it to that poster, and I’ll continue to do the same.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I’ve actually followed the discussion from the start and I’ll ask that you not try to hold me accountable for what other people say, just as I do for you. If you have an issue with what another poster said, refer it to that poster, and I’ll continue to do the same.
Just because he quoted you doesn't mean it was aimed at you. It was just a response to the post.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Then your team got hosed. $100k per game? Ouch.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's where we disagree, I don't think Larsson is on average a #3. I think he's one of the more over-rated players in the league, and continue to be fascinated by how his reputation hasn't caught up to what he is.

First NJ fans performed mental gymnastics blaming the coaching/partners/usage for his poor results. Now Oiler's fans seem to do the same thing in order to justify a bad trade. Somehow his HFBoards reputation hasn't caught up to the fact that he's at best average in any one thing. He's a defensive defensemen that doesn't get good defensive results.
It's funny how Dmen go to EDM and all of a sudden their rep takes a dive, and vice versa, isn't it? It's almost like their focus isn't on team defense, as opposed to a team like NJ, STL, LA, OR MN, etc, etc.

I think Larsson is a good second pairing Dman who can be a #2 in a pinch. Why I like Brodin more than him is that Brodin is a much better skater, and I think that plays well in today's game.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's funny how Dmen go to EDM and all of a sudden their rep takes a dive, and vice versa, isn't it? It's almost like their focus isn't on team defense, as opposed to a team like NJ, STL, LA, OR MN, etc, etc.

I think Larsson is a good second pairing Dman who can be a #2 in a pinch. Why I like Brodin more than him is that Brodin is a much better skater, and I think that plays well in today's game.
I thought he was over-rated in NJ as well. Hence NJ fans always blaming the coach for his under-performing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought he was over-rated in NJ as well. Hence NJ fans always blaming the coach for his under-performing.
Agree to disagree, but I'm not going to fight you about it. I think he's a valuable, smart Dman with good size and fundamentals. You need a couple of those on your team. After this past year the Hall trade looks awful, but even a year ago, when EDM was making noise in the playoffs, NJ not so much, it was a different story. It's not EDM. Was doing anything with Hall.

NJ just had no offense up front till they got Hall, and Hischier.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Hey guys, need some informed feedback regarding Yeo and there's no better place than here. So I'm sure you're aware the Blues have made some moves, expectations higher blah blah blah. But the Yeo Effect is still in play and I'm not foolish enough to believe even massive personnel upgrades are enough to overcome something that powerful. Cause you know I have eyes and stuff.

So...in your opinion is there a chance the Blues upgrades can overcome the power of the Yeo Effect? One would think it would mitigate to some degree on the PP and to pick up more wins during the mid season abyssal dive, but I would like to hear your thoughts and maybe gain some insight in the process.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Hey guys, need some informed feedback regarding Yeo and there's no better place than here. So I'm sure you're aware the Blues have made some moves, expectations higher blah blah blah. But the Yeo Effect is still in play and I'm not foolish enough to believe even massive personnel upgrades are enough to overcome something that powerful. Cause you know I have eyes and stuff.

So...in your opinion is there a chance the Blues upgrades can overcome the power of the Yeo Effect? One would think it would mitigate to some degree on the PP and to pick up more wins during the mid season abyssal dive, but I would like to hear your thoughts and maybe gain some insight in the process.
I'm still not sure how strongly I believe in the Yeo Effect, but my understanding of it is that his style of coaching tends to drain players creatively and psychologically. It leads to a team that's "hard to play against," but lacks creativity on the powerplay and tends to collapse mid-season. To the extend that it's real it seems like a psychological thing, so personnel upgrades won't necessarily help unless guys like O'Reilly and Bozak are somehow more resilient in that respect.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
does it make any more sense to say that every GM in the league thinks Dumba is better than Trouba?

and if someone comes on to the board to troll ... quoting, disagreeing with, insulting the person trolling is not helpful either.
They shouldn't come in here actin' a fool if they don't want to get clowned on.

Reactions: 2Pair and AKL

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
At a career scoring rate of 32 points per full 82 game seasons that’s a little over 185k per point too. 722k per goal.

To be fair Trouba's worth to the team is more than just points. So is Dumba's and hopefully will be even more in the future.

That being said it's simply just better to leave people alone that only want to stir the pot. Trolls beg for attention.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Wasn't Tarasenko hurt toward the end of the season? Schwartz missed a bunch of time? Allen was ... unsteady at best, and terrible if we're being honest. Even with these things the team had 94 points. That should get you a playoff berth. They should also be better next season with the true centers they've added.

Yeo is still a young guy but he's a smart coach. One thing that NHL coaches have to learn is how to motivate individual personalities and he probably screws it up sometimes. Maybe Pietrangelo isn't the best guy to wear a C, or there were other locker room issues that the press alludes to from time to time. There's enough talent to pull things together, and I wouldn't give Yeo too much credit or blame.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN

mike yeo isnt a bad coach , he just values the vets over the young guns a little too much. i did feel he got very upset when parise got PP help / advise from adam oats one time. anytime you'd like to send tarasenko our way feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad