Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I'm not very convinced about Wild's roster. We acquired just a bunch of fill-in depth role players and nothing else. We are really in a limbo now.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed. Additions were uninspiring. Seems that we are treading water, and going into the season with the same old crew, and hoping for everything to turn out all right.

Reactions: MVPGoon

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
If all they got were low ball offers I'm ok with it. Better than a rushed leddy for barker trade.

Reactions: Wild11MN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What were you two expecting them to do in free agency?

1) I like that they hired Tom Kurvers, but they need to make more adjustments to their front office. It's now been a few weeks since the end of the draft. It's time to start re-hauling their front office (and yes, I know that Fletcher extended a lot of front office people, but it doesn't seem to matter). Minnesota is also one of - if not the only - team to have three Assistant GMs. Generally teams only run 1-2 GMs. But more scouts, adjustments to the player development team.

2) More concrete rumors than some vague non-sense of Minnesota may or not be looking at trades. I'm not saying, player X, Y or Z - but more like Minnesota is specifically targeting x type of player on x team. The A.A trade rumor is interesting and more of what I want to hear from a team wanting to make 'tweaks'.

3) A little more of the road plan for the future. The only substantial player up for contract renewal is Staal next year and I have this fear that we are not going to move him at the deadline, because we are right in the middle of a playoff run.

Honestly, as much as it pains me to say this, I honestly think we should have stuck with GMCF if this was going to be our offseason until he got us bounced out of the playoffs. It seems that we are stuck with the same old, same old here.

Lackluster first round pick (picking safe players that have low ceilings), fiddling with the bottom 6 and that's about it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
ROR trade seems to be an indication of a pretty lowball market. Not surprising now that nothing has happened.
Not if you look at it from the other perspective. If Berglund, Sobodtka, and a decent prospect gets you O'reilly? Nino Foligno and Kunin should have a ton of value?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not if you look at it from the other perspective. If Berglund, Sobodtka, and a decent prospect gets you O'reilly? Nino Foligno and Kunin should have a ton of value?

Also a disgruntled player isn't going to get you a ton of value. Everyone knew that Ryan O'Reilly was on his way out. Sobodtka could be flipped at the deadline. Tage is young. Berglund might end up being a solid player for them.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Also a disgruntled player isn't going to get you a ton of value. Everyone knew that Ryan O'Reilly was on his way out. Sobodtka could be flipped at the deadline. Tage is young. Berglund might end up being a solid player for them.
Here's my question:

If all it took was a 2019 1st, 2021 second, 2 30+ year old 30pt centers, and the 6th best prospect the Blues had to land ROR - why weren't the Wild in on him?

The Blues were able to unload $7.3m in cap space with Sobotka and Berglund so they could acquire a guy with a $7.5m cap hit. Those picks will likely be late rounders. Thompson is a decent prospect but nothing to be concerned with losing.

Coyle, Foligno, Kloos, 2019 2nd, 2021 2nd - I'd have been happy to give that up for ROR. Would've forced Fenton to move one of Staal/Zucker/Nino/Spurgeon and we finally would've seen the shake up this team needs.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Here's my question:

If all it took was a 2019 1st, 2021 second, 2 30+ year old 30pt centers, and the 6th best prospect the Blues had to land ROR - why weren't the Wild in on him?

The Blues were able to unload $7.3m in cap space with Sobotka and Berglund so they could acquire a guy with a $7.5m cap hit. Those picks will likely be late rounders. Thompson is a decent prospect but nothing to be concerned with losing.

Coyle, Foligno, Kloos, 2019 2nd, 2021 2nd - I'd have been happy to give that up for ROR. Would've forced Fenton to move one of Staal/Zucker/Nino/Spurgeon and we finally would've seen the shake up this team needs.
Probably because Buffalo wanted centers coming back. Even middle-6 centers would do. Wild probably only offered wingers.

Buffalo is going to run Eichel-Berglund-Soboka down the middle. Not great but is it honestly any worse than the Wild at center?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Probably because Buffalo wanted centers coming back. Even middle-6 centers would do. Wild probably only offered wingers.

Buffalo is going to run Eichel-Berglund-Soboka down the middle. Not great but is it honestly any worse than the Wild at center?
This is wrong.

They'll be running Eichel-Mittelstadt-Berglund down the middle. Sobotka will most likely be their 3rd line LW with Girgensons as their 4C.

Eichel-Mittelstadt-Berglund is better than Staal-Koivu-Ek??

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Reinhart is supposed to be a C, and I sure as hell like the Sabres C's a lot more than ours 3 years from now.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Well, Reinhart is supposed to be a C, and I sure as hell like the Sabres C's a lot more than ours 3 years from now.
I've got a few co-workers who are Buffalo fans and they're hyping up that team hard right now lol.

Sheary - Eichel - Reinhart
Rodrigues/Nylander - Mittelstadt - Okposo

seems to be their consensus top 6. not bad. Okposo is a grandpa compared to those guys.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Don't really care what Russo and LaPanta said on KFAN on Friday. This team is probably not making the playoffs this year. Central is deep as all get out. It'll take the Pacific to have a meltdown again and to get a WC position in my opinion. The only team that feels to have been lateral with us, has been Chicago in my eyes.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Vegas, San Jose, Anaheim, Nashville, Winnipeg, St. Louis are all 100% making the playoffs this year and I will die on that hill.

That leaves 2 spots between Flames, Wild, Kings, Avalanche, Blackhawks, Stars.

Can anyone say with certainty that the Wild would be 1 of those 2 teams?

Reactions: BigT2002

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Don't really care what Russo and LaPanta said on KFAN on Friday. This team is probably not making the playoffs this year. Central is deep as all get out. It'll take the Pacific to have a meltdown again and to get a WC position in my opinion. The only team that feels to have been lateral with us, has been Chicago in my eyes.

f6t9coofanvz.png

I do agree with your assessment.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Vegas, San Jose, Anaheim, Nashville, Winnipeg, St. Louis are all 100% making the playoffs this year and I will die on that hill.

That leaves 2 spots between Flames, Wild, Kings, Avalanche, Blackhawks, Stars.

Can anyone say with certainty that the Wild would be 1 of those 2 teams?

I think the Pacific is wide open, the Nuks are the only team that looks like there is no chance to me. It wouldn't really surprise me if AZ, EDM, and CGY took the top 3 spot in the Division.

All of the Central teams could be in the mix for at least the WC and it'll probably come down to which teams have the best goaltending. The Blues Allen/Jonhson combo is questionable; that's why I don't have them at 100%.

Reactions: 2Pair

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I would too, but I'd only risk about $3 on that wager.
No reason to believe we won’t make it if healthy. The only team that gave us trouble this last year was Winnipeg and we were NOT healthy for much of the season.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
No reason to believe we won’t make it if healthy. The only team that gave us trouble this last year was Winnipeg and we were NOT healthy for much of the season.

The Wild surrendered 21 goals in four games (scored six) against the Avs going 1-3 (one shootout win). That's not trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->