Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Why would Dumba be on the top line with Suter? Spurgeon is the better player.

By what measure? Dumba is healthier (82 games vs 61 games), has more goals (14 vs 9), more assists (36 vs 28), more points (50 vs 37), a much better +/- rating (15 vs -6) last year than Spurgeon.

JEE is not going back down to Iowa. He is not Miguel Sano.

Agreed.

Granlund - Staal - el Nino
Zucker - JEE - Kunin
Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Foligno - ??? - ???

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
The point is, the younger players haven't played consistent enough, month after month, year after year. None of them really. Sure, injuries have occurred and especially last year were a problem. I don't blame them for that. Brodin has probably been the most consistent, but he's almost the least 'game breaker' player we have.

I agree with Wabit, the younger players have to be able to be relied upon. These guys need to take the team over. There is a passing of the torch that happens on teams and it doesn't always involve demoting all the old guys down the lineup. It just means showing your responsibility and being consistent.

I expect big things from Coyle, Nino, Zucks, Granlund, and Dumba. I need to see them be warriors out there game in and game out. Dumba is actually pretty consistent with his production, and he was starting to make less and less mistakes.

I know what to expect out of Brodin. He's not really up and down.

I expect JEE to take a large step, maybe a leap this year. He needs to play bigger.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'm hoping the plan is to start transitioning JEE into bigger roles on the team this year. Start him out with 3rd line minutes but gradually start increasing that TOI and start giving him time on the PP.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm hoping the plan is to start transitioning JEE into bigger roles on the team this year. Start him out with 3rd line minutes but gradually start increasing that TOI and start giving him time on the PP.
I would be willing to bet that this was the plan going into last season as well. If the kid can't handle the minutes you're giving him to start the season, his opportunities are not going to increase.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
By what measure? Dumba is healthier (82 games vs 61 games), has more goals (14 vs 9), more assists (36 vs 28), more points (50 vs 37), a much better +/- rating (15 vs -6) last year than Spurgeon.

Possession, expect goals, GAR any advanced stat that attempts to bring defensive impact into the equation.

Dumba has shown an ability to stay healthier, and his offense finally exceeded Spurgeon's slightly (Spurgeon was also on pace for 50 points).

Spurgeon's still the overall better player.

Reactions: 57special

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Possession, expect goals, GAR any advanced stat that attempts to bring defensive impact into the equation.

Dumba has shown an ability to stay healthier, and his offense finally exceeded Spurgeon's slightly (Spurgeon was also on pace for 50 points).

Spurgeon's still the overall better player.
Switch their partners up and Dumba would be ahead of Spurgeon in most of those.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Switch their partners up and Dumba would be ahead of Spurgeon in most of those.

That's certainly one opinion, however there is little to no evidence to support that.

What we do have evidence of is Spurgeon leading the team in possession and expected goals prior to partnering with Suter. Heck, Spurgeon was 2nd to Burns in xGF% and CF% in 2010-2011 as a rookie playing 53 games and basically has never stopped being at the top of the team (and league) in these types of stats since then. Hell, in 2012-2013 Clayton Stoner and Brett Clark were his most common linemates and he led the team in xGF.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Anyone see the pics of Suter rehabbing? You can see his ankle compared to the other while he's in a partial squad standing on a device that measures what looks to be weight load and or exertion ( L vs R ).

That bad boy is still plump and swollen!

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
does the wild staff bat 1000? answer no. how often do they get it right? maybe 40% then factor in draft rankings such as pronman ; button , central scouting this msg board last word army (just to name a few) none of whom had him ranked in the 1st round and your telling me the math says hes a choice? im not buying what your selling. so back to iron range red rose colored glasses , where can i get a pair?
Patric Hornquist was the last guy drafted in his class - Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder - remember all the great guys Detroit drafted and developed over the years: Zetterberg 7th round, Datsyuk 6th rounder, Nyquist 4th rounder, Lidstrom 3rd rounder, Holmstrom 10th rounder.

That's scouting. Nobody in an NHL front office gives a flying f*** about Button, Pronman and Company. They regurgitate what they hear from their "connections," serious like the famous Eklund rumors.

Real scouting flies under the radar of HF Boards.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Patric Hornquist was the last guy drafted in his class - Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder - remember all the great guys Detroit drafted and developed over the years: Zetterberg 7th round, Datsyuk 6th rounder, Nyquist 4th rounder, Lidstrom 3rd rounder, Holmstrom 10th rounder.

That's scouting. Nobody in an NHL front office gives a flying **** about Button, Pronman and Company. They regurgitate what they hear from their "connections," serious like the famous Eklund rumors.

Real scouting flies under the radar of HF Boards.
You know Craig Button drafted Hall of Fame players and won a Stanley Cup as GM right? Pronman is a former scout as well.

As much as you and others want to shit on them because they're on TV or working for main stream media outlets doesn't mean what they're saying is invalid - it means they wanted jobs that pay more and offer a better work-life balance.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's really interesting looking at possession statistics vs goals for % for our top 4.

CF%:
Spurgeon 49.93
Suter 49.13
Dumba 46.88
Brodin 45.61

GF%:
Brodin 57.58
Dumba 55.28
Suter 50.00
Spurgeon 47.12

Kinda shows that possession literally means nothing in terms of actual goals for/goals against in BB's system.

Also, should note that Spurgeon received the highest even strength offensive zone start % of the top 4. Then Suter, then Brodin, and then Dumba received the lowest.

Interesting, all around.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's really interesting looking at possession statistics vs goals for % for our top 4.

CF%:
Spurgeon 49.93
Suter 49.13
Dumba 46.88
Brodin 45.61

GF%:
Brodin 57.58
Dumba 55.28
Suter 50.00
Spurgeon 47.12

Kinda shows that possession literally means nothing in terms of actual goals for/goals against in BB's system.

Also, should note that Spurgeon received the highest even strength offensive zone start % of the top 4. Then Suter, then Brodin, and then Dumba received the lowest.

Interesting, all around.

Spurgeon got kind of PDO'd to death this season. Despite a league leading 60% xGF%, for whatever reason Dubnyk couldn't stop squat (relatively speaking) with Spurgeon on the ice. Given basically all of Spurgeon's numbers beyond on ice save percentage remained within their normal range, i'd expect that flukey GF% to rectify itself next year.

Reactions: Tuntrui

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
You know Craig Button drafted Hall of Fame players and won a Stanley Cup as GM right? Pronman is a former scout as well.

As much as you and others want to **** on them because they're on TV or working for main stream media outlets doesn't mean what they're saying is invalid - it means they wanted jobs that pay more and offer a better work-life balance.

Not really @#$%^& on them. Just saying NHL scouting departments don't defer to their opinions. The Wild scouts did more due diligence on Johansson than any of the media outlets fans bast their draft opinions on.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Spurgeon got kind of PDO'd to death this season. Despite a league leading 60% xGF%, for whatever reason Dubnyk couldn't stop squat (relatively speaking) with Spurgeon on the ice. Given basically all of Spurgeon's numbers beyond on ice save percentage remained within their normal range, i'd expect that flukey GF% to rectify itself next year.
His on ice shooting percentage went from 10.38% to 7.46% and his on ice save percentage went from 92.98% to 90.65%. Went from leading the top 4 in PDO to last in the top 4 for PDO and the biggest jump in percentage wasn't because of Dubnyk. The site I'm using (naturalstattrick.com) doesn't list xGF%. When I looked at Corsica the numbers for everything were different.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Excited to hear the Wild lose what appears to be a very nice coaching talent in Derek Lalonde. Guys on the scrimmage stream are talking about how he is joining Tampa Bay as an Assistant Coach.

Lalonde was previously the head coach for Iowa for the past two years. Before that he was a head coach of the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL. Seems to be climbing the ranks pretty fast.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
this is hilarious thatguy 22 so many of you say things like we should pick bpa yet you all support the wilds decision to go off the reservation. (cough hypocrite cough) sheep is thinking the wild are smarter than the rest of the hockey world. but hey its just a msg board think what you like. i could care less if any of you agree with me.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
this is hilarious thatguy 22 so many of you say things like we should pick bpa yet you all support the wilds decision to go off the reservation. (cough hypocrite cough) sheep is thinking the wild are smarter than the rest of the hockey world. but hey its just a msg board think what you like. i could care less if any of you agree with me.
You're just never going to figure it out.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Did you watch the scrimmage today?

Reactions: 123TripleDoge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad