Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
some random-ish AHL scoring rates:

.66 ppg - Yanni Gourde
.65 ppg - Sam Anas
.59 ppg - JT Brown
.94 ppg - Tyler Ennis

Justin Kloos also scored at a .65 ppg rate last season by the way. But there are plenty of guys scoring in this range who aren't NHL players. Anas got his contract, proving that the Wild are a smart organization, but there just isn't a likely role for a guy who is smaller and less skilled than Tyler Ennis on this year's roster.

As far as I can see right now, there is an opening on the right side of the top 9. Two of the likely candidates to fill that role, I would rather take a more "developmental" approach with, so that would leave some slim pickings as our situation currently stands. Anas would be the best choice of rest, IMO.

Of course I know it's a longshot, and of course I know that both Kunin and Greenway have a leg up on anyone else, even if one is injured and the other was underwhelming. I just don't like the message it sends to everybody else in Iowa.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
As far as I can see right now, there is an opening on the right side of the top 9. Two of the likely candidates to fill that role, I would rather take a more "developmental" approach with, so that would leave some slim pickings as our situation currently stands. Anas would be the best choice of rest, IMO.

Of course I know it's a longshot, and of course I know that both Kunin and Greenway have a leg up on anyone else, even if one is injured and the other was underwhelming. I just don't like the message it sends to everybody else in Iowa.

Foligno is a better choice than Anas in the top-9. Rau is a better overall player than Anas. Mitchell was also better and they didn't bother re-signing him.

Anas just doesn't have a good 2-way game. and is basically a PP option that the Wild won't use. He's not as good as either Ennis or Schroeder. This isn't even a size worry, he just doesn't have a NHL level game; or at least he didn't last season. Or the 6 or so game I saw him in last year were just the bad games he had for the year.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Where is Coyle in your projection?

Kunin might well be back in the AHL - though his rehab is ahead of schedule according to recent reporting. It's no great crime to give Greenway some Iowa time, I guess, but why? He's a better player than any guy in Iowa. And high draft picks do usually get the benefit of the doubt over college free agents and so on, but ... guys who are high draft picks are usually that for a good reason, no? Greenway isn't leapfrogging any of these guys - the Wild certainly don't have a Kasperi Kapanen or Daniel Sprong situation to worry about.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Where is Coyle in your projection?

Kunin might well be back in the AHL - though his rehab is ahead of schedule according to recent reporting. It's no great crime to give Greenway some Iowa time, I guess, but why? He's a better player than any guy in Iowa. And high draft picks do usually get the benefit of the doubt over college free agents and so on, but ... guys who are high draft picks are usually that for a good reason, no? Greenway isn't leapfrogging any of these guys - the Wild certainly don't have a Kasperi Kapanen or Daniel Sprong situation to worry about.

Coyle would be my 2nd line RW, playing with Koivu and either Nino or Parise.

Nino or Parise would be the LW with Eriksson Ek on the 3rd line. The RW spot would currently sit open.

The "why" on Greenway would top line minutes, #1 PP time, touching the puck as much as possible (and developing those skills), and possibly developing him as a center (if that was the organization's want). But mostly it boils down to if he is better than any guy in Iowa or too good for that league, then he shouldn't have a difficult time proving it over a semi-substantial number of games. It doesn't have to be a full season, or even half, but can you give me 20-25 games of showing that you belong in the NHL and not the AHL?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Who Is Minnesota backup goalie this season? Does kahkonen have a chance?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
anyone got line projections they want to see for next year? baring any trades that may happen and just using the roster we have now what would you like to see?
If the Zach Parise we saw in the 2nd half of the season... especially the last month of the season is the Zach Parise we're getting this coming season?

Parise - Staal - Granlund
Zucker - Koivu - Nino
Greenway - Ek - Coyle

If Zach is more of the Zach from a couple years ago instead?

Zucker - Staal - Granlund
Nino - Koivu - Coyle
Parise - Ek - ?

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I think ZP will get between 45-55pts with more than half of those as goals. My hope would be he can turn into a 50-60pt player with 25-30 goals a season for the next 3-4yrs.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
this was posted under nhl talk 10 teams trending down, suter not 100% the reason the wild are on the list https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-teams-trending-down-2018-19/ while its possible everything goes right parise 20G; coyle 20G; nino 20G+; zucker 25G+; staal 30G ; granlund 20G; its more likely we slow down alittle this year. low 90's is my prediction. would a lotto ticket in the hughes sweepstakes really be so bad?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
this was posted under nhl talk 10 teams trending down, suter not 100% the reason the wild are on the list https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-teams-trending-down-2018-19/ while its possible everything goes right parise 20G; coyle 20G; nino 20G+; zucker 25G+; staal 30G ; granlund 20G; its more likely we slow down alittle this year. low 90's is my prediction. would a lotto ticket in the hughes sweepstakes really be so bad?

I’m not gonna definitely say we’ll make the playoffs this year, but that guy has us behind Colorado AND Dallas. Even without Suter for the first couple months, our offense is deeper and our defense is significantly better than both of those teams, so you can kinda see where his logic falls apart there. Not to mention we’ll probably have less injuries on offense this year as well.

And even if we do miss the playoffs, we won’t be bad enough to have more than an extremely outside shot at winning the 1st overall pick.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If the Zach Parise we saw in the 2nd half of the season... especially the last month of the season is the Zach Parise we're getting this coming season?

Parise - Staal - Granlund
Zucker - Koivu - Nino
Greenway - Ek - Coyle

If Zach is more of the Zach from a couple years ago instead?

Zucker - Staal - Granlund
Nino - Koivu - Coyle
Parise - Ek - ?

I'd slide Koivu down and move Zucker and Ek up. We need to start conserving the veterans for playoffs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yep, he has to prove he can be a quality 3rd liner before any other discussion is even necessary.

Which I think he will this year. Barring injuries, he's going to be playing with one (or two) of Nino, Parise or Coyle. That's some pretty good veteran insulation.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Which I think he will this year. Barring injuries, he's going to be playing with one (or two) of Nino, Parise or Coyle. That's some pretty good veteran insulation.

I think his problem last year came from a general lack of reliable scorers to play with. If he can be with one or two of those guys, his offense will greatly improve. I think his two way game was fine enough for that spot, but I’d imagine he’ll improve in that area as well. I’d like to see him focus more on offense though.

Zucker-Staal-Granlund
Greenway-Koivu-Coyle
Parise-Ek-Nino
Who knows-Why-Who cares

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Spurgeon
Seeler-Pateryn

When we’re healthy...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I hope you're right, because I think a huge part of their success will hinge on how good the 3rd line is.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think his problem last year came from a general lack of reliable scorers to play with. If he can be with one or two of those guys, his offense will greatly improve. I think his two way game was fine enough for that spot, but I’d imagine he’ll improve in that area as well. I’d like to see him focus more on offense though.

Zucker-Staal-Granlund
Greenway-Koivu-Coyle
Parise-Ek-Nino
Who knows-Why-Who cares

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Spurgeon
Seeler-Pateryn

When we’re healthy...

4th line would be foligno-fehr-brown. i dont see it changing from that too often as they bring what a 4th should bring in my eyes, hitting and some possible points.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I hope you're right, because I think a huge part of their success will hinge on how good the 3rd line is.

Which in turn hinges on how healthy the team can stay.

Only a few injuries here and there like any average team/season? Then we have one of the best third lines in the league again IMO.

Reactions: 2Pair

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yep, he has to prove he can be a quality 3rd liner before any other discussion is even necessary.
I do not understand why more people do not want him developing in Iowa. I get that he "can" play in Minnesota, but my perspective is that the team doesn't "need" him so it would be best to put him in a position to develop some more offense instead of turning him into a 3rd line center who maybe gets to 40-points in his prime.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I do not understand why more people do not want him developing in Iowa. I get that he "can" play in Minnesota, but my perspective is that the team doesn't "need" him so it would be best to put him in a position to develop some more offense instead of turning him into a 3rd line center who maybe gets to 40-points in his prime.
Who is your 3rd line center if Ek is in Iowa?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

There are different philosophies. I wouldn’t mind seeing Ek in Iowa, but then you have to call up Kunin, Anas or Kloos. Ek is better than all of them at this point and I don’t necessarily agree that playing third line minutes with Parise/Nino/Coyle will hurt his offensive development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad