Mar 8, 2006
At least the AHL D looks decent:

Kulak - Lernout
Olofsson - Fleary
Sklenicka - Moravcik

Reactions: CapSpace

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't understand this deal. Why didn't Montreal just claim him?
Because of the maximum number of contract. They still didn't sign Cale Fleury for exemple and they are at 47 contracts.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not bad for Minnesota if Bitten returns to the form he had when he was first drafted. He kind of stagnated since then though. He could turn into a nicer piece than what Olofsson became if he gets back on track. It's a good trade for both teams.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because of the maximum number of contract. They still didn't sign Cale Fleury for exemple and they are at 47 contracts.
Still not computing. Three slots is plenty of space. Especially when you consider how easy it is to clear contracts later in the season.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Not bad for Minnesota if Bitten returns to the form he had when he was first drafted. He kind of stagnated since then though. He could turn into a nicer piece than what Olofsson became if he gets back on track. It's a good trade for both teams.
I never really liked his off-ice/interview attitude. He was talking pretty highly of himself... sometimes, it's good to show confidence in yourself. But, I had the feeling he believed he was much better then he actually showed/was. Like you said he never really progressed too...

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Why commit a three year deal right away if Fleury is not up to par right? You hold his rights this year even if you just give him an AHL deal so might as well see what you've got before you commit more. Pretty much the exact same thing as sending him back for an OA year and seeing how he does before signing him to an ELC (and bringing him to the AHL), but you can see how he does against AHL competition right away. It's one of the perks of drafting late birthdays or D+1's.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Big meh. Don't know much about Olofsson, but he's probably in the Kulak/Reilly/Oullet category of mid-2o's D-man that might be an NHLer and might not be an NHLer.

Not sure what to think of Bitten. He plays a lot like Gallagher, but doesn't seem to have the hands or IQ to produce anywhere close to him. He's got a chance at being a sparkplug-type at the NHL level. Seems like Montreal cutting bait with a number of forward prospects that would pass/compete with him long term.

I don't understand this deal. Why didn't Montreal just claim him?

Didn't have space on the NHL roster, they want him in the AHL. Same with the Kulak trade.

Reactions: CDN24

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Still not computing. Three slots is plenty of space. Especially when you consider how easy it is to clear contracts later in the season.

How is it easier during the season? They potentially want so sign some rookies... I know they also had interest in Simon Després, with Fleury that means 1 spot left 49 contracts.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
2jb0x0.jpg

Did he play banjo or guitar in Deliverance?

Reactions: Runner77

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Really it's to the Habs benefit to get out of a 3 year ELC if they think Bitten is going to bust. Maybe you have the contract space now, but what about the future? Bitten could be a wasted spot that is now free for another prospect. Clearly the Wild think he's worth trying out.

Plus by having him clear, Olofsson can go up and down without waivers again unless you play him 10 consecutive NHL games or 30 consecutive NHL days. Teams are willing to pay for that flexibility, like the Leafs did with Pickard last year, St. Louis did with Jerebek this year, etc.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Bitten is a superior player/prospect. He stagnated statistically, but he works hard, skates fast and has good potential.

I think Minnesota easily wins this deal; they just waived Olofsson who was obviously not in the plans. I might be wrong, though.

If the contract limit is the reason; why would they go out and sign players like Alain/Verbeek?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
No it's not. Fleury + Poehling gives us just one left.
The intent is signing poehling as soon as his college season is over and get him to the NHL.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Why commit a three year deal right away if Fleury is not up to par right? You hold his rights this year even if you just give him an AHL deal so might as well see what you've got before you commit more. Pretty much the exact same thing as sending him back for an OA year and seeing how he does before signing him to an ELC (and bringing him to the AHL), but you can see how he does against AHL competition right away. It's one of the perks of drafting late birthdays or D+1's.

Yes, I don't even think you have to sign him to an AHL deal. I think is ELC would slide and only count starting next year, but I'm not 100% sure. Not sure why they didn't want to pick him up for free, maybe it has something to do with Bitten. Maybe they didn't have space for him in Laval or Bouchard didn't like him, don't know... but by trading for him instead of claiming him, they don't have to keep him in the NHL and can send Olofsson to AHL directly since he already cleared with Minnesota

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Big meh. Don't know much about Olofsson, but he's probably in the Kulak/Reilly/Oullet category of mid-2o's D-man that might be an NHLer and might not be an NHLer.

Not sure what to think of Bitten. He plays a lot like Gallagher, but doesn't seem to have the hands or IQ to produce anywhere close to him. He's got a chance at being a sparkplug-type at the NHL level. Seems like Montreal cutting bait with a number of forward prospects that would pass/compete with him long term.

Didn't have space on the NHL roster, they want him in the AHL. Same with the Kulak trade.

So they're either very high on Olafsson or very unenthoused about Bitten considering he just turned pro. Minnesota got a good deal here.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How is it easier during the season? They potentially want so sign some rookies... I know they also had interest in Simon Després, with Fleury that means 1 spot left 49 contracts.
The Oilers just cleared two roster spots this week with the Jerabek trade and the Aberg waiver claim. Two for one and three for one deals also happen regularly in the regular season because it's a way for non-playoff teams to gain a minor asset for doing other GMs a solid.

Also rookie contracts slide once you send them back to junior.

Regardless, Bergevin likes the guy and was willing to pay the price.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
So they're either very high on Olafsson or very unenthoused about Bitten considering he just turned pro. Minnesota got a good deal here.
Meh, not really. Bitten didn't improve much. The other poster's comparaison with Gallagher was stylistically not talent wise I believe... his chance of carving out a nhl career and be a contributor at the nhl level are slim imo. More so than when he was drafted as a 3rd rounder.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The Oilers just cleared two roster spots this week with the Jerabek trade and the Aberg waiver claim. Two for one and three for one deals also happen regularly in the regular season because it's a way for non-playoff teams to gain a minor asset for doing other GMs a solid.

Also rookie contracts slide once you send them back to junior.

Regardless, Bergevin likes the guy and was willing to pay the price.

Yes, I get that but you need to have players that are not desired in your organization to be valued at something by some other team. In Montreal, I could see Benn if he plays better and Schlemko if he's healthy around the deadline. Anyway...

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Bitten had speed, which is an important thing today. I would have rather held on to him than get another project depth D. Hope Olofsson proves he was worth it. I like the other Olofsson (Jacob) in the Habs prospect pool a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad