Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't know? We played .500 hockey the entire season. Beginning to end...with Dougie and without. With Jack and Without.

We were in the same position, on the outside looking up the entire year.

After Dougie's last game on November 28th we were 10-9-1 and in 7th Wild Card position and 6th in the Metropolitan.... Basically the same position we finished with.

We lost to the Capitals, Blue Jackets and Red Wings in November with Dougie. We lost 3 in a row twice in Dougie's 20 games played.

I think this was always a doomed season.

Probably, but remember when the Oilers were the worst team in the league? Sometimes good teams play bad for a while. But all the injuries made finding a groove impossible. That said, it's also possible the team would have been just as mediocre at full strength for a full season. Who knows at this point.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Probably, but remember when the Oilers were the worst team in the league? Sometimes good teams play bad for a while. But all the injuries made finding a groove impossible. That said, it's also possible the team would have been just as mediocre at full strength for a full season. Who knows at this point.
I still think the Oilers are suspect :)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I can't wait for Fitz big move this summer.

Ilya Sorokin, Brady Tkachuk, Jacob Markstrom, Steven Stamkos

One of those players will be a Devil.

Do you love disappointment so much that you have to manufacture it out of nothing?

Only one of those players has any chance of ending up on the Devils.
Two of those players aren’t getting traded.
I don’t know why you think we would get Stamkos.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
a
I can't wait for Fitz big move this summer.

Ilya Sorokin, Brady Tkachuk, Jacob Markstrom, Steven Stamkos

One of those players will be a Devil.
IMG_4293.gif

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I have Edmonton winning it all in my pool. I think this is the best team McDavid has had around him.
I hate to say it by I picked this as the Rags year sacrilege as. Devils fan...Just thought way we knocked them out would have them motivated and way teams that qualified for playoffs has helped them in getting Caps as first round opponent....Hope I get proven wrong

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I hate to say it by I picked this as the Rags year sacrilege as. Devils fan...Just thought way we knocked them out would have them motivated and way teams that qualified for playoffs has helped them in getting Caps as first round opponent....Hope I get proven wrong
Their beating the Caps but Wash isn't even showing up. Let's see if they can compete with a real playoff team. They are no doubt put together well, but I'm still suspect, along with some wishful thinking

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
You will be proven wrong. On a game by game basis the Rangers are hardly dominating one of the worst playoff teams in recent memory. They’re likely to have to go through at least one of Carolina or Florida, or worst case scenario if they’re lucky enough to get to the final, Vegas or Dallas. Every one of those teams is better…they will forecheck them to death and have elite defenses that can shut down Panarin and Zibenejad and they don’t have enough depth or grit beyond those two to overcome it. Even a team like Edmonton if they met them in a final…you think McDavid is gonna get that close to his cup and be denied by the rags of all teams? Nah.

I’m pretty confident that Florida is gonna wipe the floor with them, if they can even make it past Carolina.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Their beating the Caps but Wash isn't even showing up.
I don’t think they’re not showing up. I think they just suck terribly.

This is what you get when a bottom 5-6 team in the league somehow flukes into the playoffs.

Would anyone really expect a team like Montreal or Ottawa to look good against the Rangers? Because I’m pretty sure Washington as currently construction are not better than those teams. I don’t even think they’re significantly better than Columbus.

This is a horrid team.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I don’t think they’re not showing up. I think they just suck terribly.

This is what you get when a bottom 5-6 team in the league somehow flukes into the playoffs.

Would anyone really expect a team like Montreal or Ottawa to look good against the Rangers? Because I’m pretty sure Washington as currently construction are not better than those teams. I don’t even think they’re significantly better than Columbus.

This is a horrid team.
Yeah now talk them into trading us Beck Malenstyn and Martin Fehérváry!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah now talk them into trading us Beck Malenstyn and Martin Fehérváry!
What’s so good about Malenstyn other than he’s fast?

And I see he’s already 26, so he’s probably not going to be much worth really pining for.

I was thinking maybe he was only 22-23.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Warming up to Henrique playing 2LW/2C with us next year. I think he'd work well with Hughes/Mercer or Bratt
Not the type of player we need imo and he's probably not going to be cheap....Past is the pasty a Trennen or Joshua type players bring more of what I think we lack and Zadarov on D or Dillon type

Would like Misyul to get a look on defense not sure Devils will want to push more youth on defense though after last year

Reactions: theoptimist

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Not the type of player we need imo and he's probably not going to be cheap....Past is the pasty a Trennen or Joshua type players bring more of what I think we lack and Zadarov on D or Dillon type

Would like Misyul to get a look on defense not sure Devils will want to push more youth on defense though after last year
We need 3rd line center who can play top-6 role if we need. Henrique is a good candidate with solid two way game. It doesnt mean we dont need Trenin or Foegele.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
We need 3rd line center who can play top-6 role if we need. Henrique is a good candidate with solid two way game. It doesnt mean we dont need Trenin or Foegele.
He's probably more fit at two not your traditional third line center imo....

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

We need three more forwards, in my opinion. One can be a not so physical presence like Henrique as long as they can hold their own physically.

At least two forwards need to be gritty, hard-nosed players. I’d even be ok if we did something like Henrique/Arvidsson for top-nine, Noesen/Joshua/Trenin for bottom-six, and Greer/O’Brien for fourth line.

We just need to have the option to have Hughes play with two capable, more physical forwards if need be. Lazar has to be like the fifth/sixth option on that list too.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He's probably more fit at two not your traditional third line center imo....
I dont see any problem with Palat, Mercer, Haula, potentially Gritsyuk, may be Holtz and some more additions from the market.

His defensive stats for Ducks are fine. His CA is on the level with Hischier, as SA, as xGA. His x% are fine too. He will not be very productive on the third line, but still enough for 3-4 mil. Of course if he wants 4.5-5 mil, we will need to place him on top-6 to maximazie his value. Still not the worst option because he can be rotate with Haula in 2W/3C role.

I still would prefer at least two more forechecking wingers like Noesen and Trenin. May be sign Blackwell too. Or some other combination of forechecking forwards and two way centers.

Reactions: mdj12784

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024

Yes please to Zadorov.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I dont see any problem with Palat, Mercer, Haula, potentially Gritsyuk, may be Holtz and some more additions from the market.

His defensive stats for Ducks are fine. His CA is on the level with Hischier, as SA, as xGA. His x% are fine too. He will not be very productive on the third line, but still enough for 3-4 mil. Of course if he wants 4.5-5 mil, we will need to place him on top-6 to maximazie his value. Still not the worst option because he can be rotate with Haula in 2W/3C role.

I still would prefer at least two more forechecking wingers like Noesen and Trenin. May be sign Blackwell too. Or some other combination of forechecking forwards and two way centers.

I think it will be around 4.5/5M and I am fine with that. Especially if Mercer does a 2 yr deal for 3M per. I like Noesen too for 3RW role and am fine with Bastian at ~1.5M for 4RW

Reactions: Guadana

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
We need three more forwards, in my opinion. One can be a not so physical presence like Henrique as long as they can hold their own physically.

At least two forwards need to be gritty, hard-nosed players. I’d even be ok if we did something like Henrique/Arvidsson for top-nine, Noesen/Joshua/Trenin for bottom-six, and Greer/O’Brien for fourth line.

We just need to have the option to have Hughes play with two capable, more physical forwards if need be. Lazar has to be like the fifth/sixth option on that list too.
I'm liking the idea of Roslovic.

I think he was asked to do too much in Columbus, but seems like he's a positive possession player when he drops down the lineup.

Looks like he's been predominately a winger this year, but played C for a few of years with Columbus. Played PK last year and a bit this year with Columbus. Has played PP, but doesn't seem particularly good at it.

Only 27, so 7 years younger than Henrique. 40 point guy. Right shot. I can't imagine he'd command the same cost as Henrique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad