Confirmed Trade: [MIN/MTL] Gustav Olofsson for William Bitten

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I am surprised that everyone thinks this is the reason... It is not.

It is simple... A player who went through waivers can be traded for and directly sent to the AHL without putting on waivers again. If Montreal had selected him, they would have to keep him on the NHL roster and that's not where they want him. Same as all other NHL teams. Olofsson's value was raised by passing through waivers because he now can play up to one full year in the AHL helping the team win more and maybe figure his game out.

In the same way, McCaron now holds a little value again because he went through waivers and can help the AHL all season and maybe turn things around for himself this year.

This trade is basically the same as the earlier Kulak deal. Getting good veterans for the AHL who actually could become something more someday.

I like it.

Lol what? That is literally the opposite of a good idea.

Lets trade younger higher potential NHL players for "good vets for the AHL depth".
Wouldn't it be easier to just claim people off waivers from deep nhl teams, free agents etc etc than trade younger higher touted prosepcts for ahl vets lol. Just a thought.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I actually liked bitten im surprised you guys gave up on him
When a player drafted in the 3rd round out of the OHL, proceeds to have his stats regress for 2 consecutive years post-draft...

Is it really all that surprising when teams "give up on them"?

Especially when they're acquiring a player who will actually play in the NHL for them?

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007

Lets trade younger higher potential NHL players for "good vets for the AHL depth".
Wouldn't it be easier to just claim people off waivers from deep nhl teams, free agents etc etc than trade younger higher touted prosepcts for ahl vets lol. Just a thought.

Obviously not everyone feels Bitten is a higher potential player.

So there goes your argument.

Also if they did what you propose, they couldn't send those players to the AHL (for 30 days unless I confused the rules).

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

You must be talking about another trade...

Because neither Will Bitten or Gustav Olofsson qualifies as "potential NHL player" or "veteran AHL depth" respectively.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I really liked Bitten during his draft year. Didn't realize he had stumbled so badly the last couple seasons.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This could be a trade that helps both teams. Liked Bitten his draft year. And Ollofsson has some likes to his game.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto

Because neither Will Bitten or Gustav Olofsson qualifies as "potential NHL player" or "veteran AHL depth" respectively.

You dont think Bitten can become a nhl player?

The Veteran ahl depth was in response to the other joker's post who called olofsson that. I agree olofsson is not ahl vet depth because that makes 0 sense.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You dont think Bitten can become a nhl player?
Very much a long shot at this point...

He hasn't progressed whatsoever since his draft year, his point totals have gone down, as he's gotten older.

He's got a motor and he's a great skater, but he doesn't have the hands to become anything other than a 4th line checker.

Think Tom Pyatt'ish type of player.

I just don't quite get where all of this love for Will Bitten comes from...I did a search on the forum for "Bitten" prior to today, and the only thing I could find was a bunch of threads from different fanbases saying "player x is so snake BITTEN".

All of a sudden...the Habs trade him and I read about is his NHL potential.

I'm not completely writing him off as a prospect, a player with his motor and skating ability will always have a chance...but if he plays for the Wild AHL affliate this year, it probably means their AHL affiliate isn't very good.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
It's astonishing to see people talking about Bitten (a guy could barely score 20 goals as a 19 year old last year in the OHL) as someone with offensive potential. If a Habs fan would have included him in a trade proposal yesterday, everybody would have torn him to shreds.

Bitten's max potential, in an ideal scenario, is something like a 30 points 3rd line winger. He's much more likely to become a 4th liner/13th-14th forward/AHL tweener. The kind of guy you can pick up on waivers every year or sign as a free agent for close to league minimum salary. If Oloffson becomes even just a 7th puck-moving D, he'll hold more value than Bitten.

Don't get me wrong, I've always liked William, I like his energy, his skating and the fact that he was very excited to play for the Habs, but I can't imagine a scenario in the future where we would regret this trade.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Habs acquire a player who will likely play NHL games for them and still has some potential...

For a prospect who hasn't progressed since he was drafted and likely ends up in the ECHL this based on how his career has been trending

And the Habs are the ones who made a strange trade huh?

Must be like when they made a "strange" move to decide to draft Kotkaniemi too.

The ladies must not like you when you are this premature dude. What has Kotkaniemi done so far? I really hope he succeeds but don't could your chickens before they hatch. Funny how people are pissing on Bitten so easily now that he is gone yet not that long ago, junior playoffs etc. so many could not wait until he turned pro.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I am surprised that everyone thinks this is the reason... It is not.

It is simple... A player who went through waivers can be traded for and directly sent to the AHL without putting on waivers again. If Montreal had selected him, they would have to keep him on the NHL roster and that's not where they want him. Same as all other NHL teams. Olofsson's value was raised by passing through waivers because he now can play up to one full year in the AHL helping the team win more and maybe figure his game out.

In the same way, McCaron now holds a little value again because he went through waivers and can help the AHL all season and maybe turn things around for himself this year.

This trade is basically the same as the earlier Kulak deal. Getting good veterans for the AHL who actually could become something more someday.

I like it.

I knew the rule, it doesn't change anything as far as adding/subtracting a contract from the 50 limit. Giving a pick for Olofsson gets us closer to the limit which gives us less flexibility

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The ladies must not like you when you are this premature dude. What has Kotkaniemi done so far? I really hope he succeeds but don't could your chickens before they hatch. Funny how people are pissing on Bitten so easily now that he is gone yet not that long ago, junior playoffs etc. so many could not wait until he turned pro.
I didnt realize I made any great proclamation regarding Kotkaniemi...

I think you're the one whose premature here.

Reactions: Andrei79

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I knew the rule, it doesn't change anything as far as adding/subtracting a contract from the 50 limit. Giving a pick for Olofsson gets us closer to the limit which gives us less flexibility

Nobody gave a pick. And the contract situation is the same as it was before this trade.

No disrespect, but I don't understand what you are trying to say.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Nobody gave a pick. And the contract situation is the same as it was before this trade.

No disrespect, but I don't understand what you are trying to say.

No problem, I'll explain it differently!

I know the rule you are talking about & while it is interesting, I'm talking about the 50 contracts limit each team has.

Right now, we are already flirting with the limit (50 contracts) so if we would have added Olofsson only for a pick, we would be even closer and this is not a good thing. You always want to save some spots to gain more flexibility. Right now, we're at 48 if I'm not mistaken.

We could have grabbed Olofsson for a pick, but we didn't because of that limite. We needed to send a contract back instead, which was Bitten in that case.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
your claim to victory over this pick is a tad premature, and by tad i mean EXTREMELY

doesn't mean he's not a stud, it's just these kinds of posts that when revisited later on become cringe worthy

kinda like how your fanbase sometimes start planning a parade in October... just wait dude, just wait
I think your a tad mixed up when talking about fanbase and planning the parade in October.This isn't a Leafs thread.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Yes. Olofsson was a full time NHL player on one of the deepest LDs in the league in 2018-19.

His problem is not the skill. Bones made of glass and 40 game seasons don't work well in the NHL.

Reactions: 417

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Love this trade, to be honest. Not sure Bitten will ever really be that good in the NHL, but Olofsson was never going to make our team full time, so at least we swapped him for a right handed center.

I also have to say, this feels like one of those situations where Fletcher would have either let him go on waivers or just traded him for a late round pick. Fenton went out and got a younger guy that fills an organization weakness and has okay scoring ability.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
In all the possibilities to move contracts, why Bitten? Clearly not a diamond in the rough but a realy good fit in Laval. I just dont get it. I bet he just doesnt fit in the attitude era

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
In all the possibilities to move contracts, why Bitten? Clearly not a diamond in the rough but a realy good fit in Laval. I just dont get it. I bet he just doesnt fit in the attitude era

Everything has a price. Montreal saw something they liked and had to give up something Minnesota liked to get it (or vice versa). Classic low risk, low/medium reward trade by both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->