Confirmed Trade: [MIN/MTL] Gustav Olofsson for William Bitten

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So, how's the Reilly deal working out for MTL? Not bad, huh? How about the Scandella deal for BUFF? Ok?

Olofsson has talent. Certainly better defensive chops than Reilly, and can handle the puck. If he gets, and stays healthy, he will be a steal. MN moved him, just like they moved the previous two LHD, because of space and waiver considerations.

You have a better idea what you're getting with Reilly and certainly Scandella (weird example). That's why the Habs got Reilly for a 5th and kept him on their NHL roster.

Plus St Louis and Dallas passed on claiming Olofsson, not to mention the Habs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You have a better idea what you're getting with Reilly and certainly Scandella (weird example). That's why the Habs got Reilly for a 5th and kept him on their NHL roster.

Plus St Louis and Dallas passed on claiming Olofsson, not to mention the Habs.
Again, the trade enabled the Habs to send a contract they didn't want(worth 805K, no less) MN way.
Scandella was a LHD stuck on the bottom pairing due to the LHD depth of the Wild. It seems ridiculous now, but at the time he was traded his value was at an all time low. MN got Ennis (concussed + 4.6M contract) and Foligno(the bad Foligno) in return.

Olofsson is not a sure thing, but he has talent. Both Scandella and Reilly are playing top line minutes on their respective teams(apparently?), yet were 3rd line or worse in MN.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
A little late to the my two cent party on this trade. From the Wild side I like it. I really didn't think we'd get more than a low pick. This seems like a mutually beneficial trade. Bitten will likely never see NHL time, his two way contract was probably the biggest appeal to Wild brass. They have shown that they are loathe to have one way contracts in Iowa. Which is annoying as Read had a better camp than JT Brown. Yet Read is the one that is currently gazing at an ocean of corn. I think this makes our roster easier to manage now. Montreal gets the better player in the deal. Really hope he can stay healthy, as he is a pretty good player, he's just running low on hourglass sand. There's a cracked glass joke in there somewhere

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Again, the trade enabled the Habs to send a contract they didn't want(worth 805K, no less) MN way.
Scandella was a LHD stuck on the bottom pairing due to the LHD depth of the Wild. It seems ridiculous now, but at the time he was traded his value was at an all time low. MN got Ennis (concussed + 4.6M contract) and Foligno(the bad Foligno) in return.

Olofsson is not a sure thing, but he has talent. Both Scandella and Reilly are playing top line minutes on their respective teams(apparently?), yet were 3rd line or worse in MN.
I think you're selling Bitten short here, I doubt the organization soured on him when they had signed him to an ELC 6 months prior and was coming off a good rookie camp. He's seemingly plateau'd but I don't think the Wild saw him as a contract dump and more as a potential asset, otherwise we would have sent a guy like Audette or Waked.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
A little late to the my two cent party on this trade. From the Wild side I like it. I really didn't think we'd get more than a low pick. This seems like a mutually beneficial trade. Bitten will likely never see NHL time, his two way contract was probably the biggest appeal to Wild brass. They have shown that they are loathe to have one way contracts in Iowa. Which is annoying as Read had a better camp than JT Brown. Yet Read is the one that is currently gazing at an ocean of corn. I think this makes our roster easier to manage now. Montreal gets the better player in the deal. Really hope he can stay healthy, as he is a pretty good player, he's just running low on hourglass sand. There's a cracked glass joke in there somewhere
No they haven't

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
No they haven't
I gave an example with Read/Brown in my post. Read was the better player, but he was demoted. Maybe I'm reading too much into Russo's article about the final roster cuts, but he was very pointed in differentiating between all the subject players, including Olofsson, their salaries at the NHL & AHL level. Russo has referenced it enough in his articles that I'm thinking the hard economics does come into play. Read was better, just not $500k better than Brown. You may not share the same pov and that is fine with me.
A look at the Wild's roster and depth chart after Saturday's...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I gave an example with Read/Brown in my post. Read was the better player, but he was demoted. Maybe I'm reading too much into Russo's article about the final roster cuts, but he was very pointed in differentiating between all the subject players, including Olofsson, their salaries at the NHL & AHL level. Russo has referenced it enough in his articles that I'm thinking the hard economics does come into play. Read was better, just not $500k better than Brown. You may not share the same pov and that is fine with me.
Russo doesn't even have a basic understanding of the salary cap. Leipold was willing to pay Quincey to just go home last year, and has had at least 1 buyout on the books pretty much every year he has been owner. Keeping Brown over Read does very little to disprove anything.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it was a combination of things, but Olofsson being paid 750K in the AHL vs. Bitten being paid 70K in the minors has to be a nice incentive for the Wild to do this deal.

Bottom line is that it will be a pleasant surprise for either team if one of these players becomes a NHL regular. Happened with Reilly, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->