Confirmed Trade: [MIN/MTL] Gustav Olofsson for William Bitten

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Love this trade, to be honest. Not sure Bitten will ever really be that good in the NHL, but Olofsson was never going to make our team full time, so at least we swapped him for a right handed center.

I also have to say, this feels like one of those situations where Fletcher would have either let him go on waivers or just traded him for a late round pick. Fenton went out and got a younger guy that fills an organization weakness and has okay scoring ability.

Bitten will be a winger, he has no offensive output. He's an amazing skater and works very hard.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Because of the maximum number of contract. They still didn't sign Cale Fleury for exemple and they are at 47 contracts.

Actually, had they claimed him he would have had to remain on the NHL roster and couldn't be sent down without waivers.

Likely saw potential but wanted more seasoning.

Contract limit is likely a factor, but the fact remains had they claimed him they wouldn't be able to send him directly to the minors and Minnesota would reclaim.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Really it's to the Habs benefit to get out of a 3 year ELC if they think Bitten is going to bust. Maybe you have the contract space now, but what about the future? Bitten could be a wasted spot that is now free for another prospect. Clearly the Wild think he's worth trying out.

Plus by having him clear, Olofsson can go up and down without waivers again unless you play him 10 consecutive NHL games or 30 consecutive NHL days. Teams are willing to pay for that flexibility, like the Leafs did with Pickard last year, St. Louis did with Jerebek this year, etc.

Its cumulative not consecutive.

Reactions: uncleben

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I like this move for the Habs. I didn't really believe in Bitten, I'm glad they went out and took a chance on Olofsson. The Habs saw Bitten in training camp for Laval so they must have had a decent idea where he slotted in for them. I think ultimately this is a trade where the Habs are acquiring someone who might play for them possibly in the mid-to-near future.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
bitten just turned 20 and it's his first year in pro hockey. what r u talking about>?

Whoops, my bad. I think the fact that he played two seasons with the Hamilton Bulldogs had me thinking he had already played two pro seasons (when the Hab's AHL affiliate was in Hamilton). Obviously I'm a couple years behind the times.

Reactions: uncleben

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Whoops, my bad. I think the fact that he played two seasons with the Hamilton Bulldogs had me thinking he had already played two pro seasons (when the Hab's AHL affiliate was in Hamilton). Obviously I'm a couple years behind the times.
:)
habs moved him because they have enough waterbugs. but i did like him

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
:)
habs moved him because they have enough waterbugs. but i did like him

Me too!

I live in Kitchener and watched him when he was with Flint and was thrilled when the Habs drafted him. Obviously I lost track of him since then.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
If Olofsson is going to be Mike Reilly 2.0 then sign me up. Not expecting him to amount to anything, though.

I doubt Bitten ever plays an NHL game. Fast skater, at least in a straight line, but brings nothing else to the table.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Olofsson is going to be Mike Reilly 2.0 then sign me up. Not expecting him to amount to anything, though.

I doubt Bitten ever plays an NHL game. Fast skater, at least in a straight line, but brings nothing else to the table.
Mike Reilly has better offensive skills. Olofsson is supposed to be like Brodin light... but has not shown near the IQ that Brodin has.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Mike Reilly has better offensive skills. Olofsson is supposed to be like Brodin light... but has not shown near the IQ that Brodin has.

More like Brodin 'heavy'? I mean, he's got the size advantage. He has not shown the same IQ, I agree, and is not as good of a skater or passer. Not as good positionally either (mainly I'm thinking of gap control). As I said, he is bigger, but I'm not sure that he's actually stronger. He plays a low-key style like Brodin. They're stylistically similar. Hope that helps, Habs fans.

Overall I like the trade. The Wild moved a guy that was at a point in his career where he'd either get buried on the depth chart and stagnate, or move on to another team. In exchange they got a prospect that at least has a chance to be a player. Good for both teams, as trades should be.

Reactions: FVM

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
More like Brodin 'heavy'? I mean, he's got the size advantage. He has not shown the same IQ, I agree, and is not as good of a skater or passer. Not as good positionally either (mainly I'm thinking of gap control). As I said, he is bigger, but I'm not sure that he's actually stronger. He plays a low-key style like Brodin. They're stylistically similar. Hope that helps, Habs fans.

Overall I like the trade. The Wild moved a guy that was at a point in his career where he'd either get buried on the depth chart and stagnate, or move on to another team. In exchange they got a prospect that at least has a chance to be a player. Good for both teams, as trades should be.
Brodin light = plays a Brodin style, just not nearly as good.

It had nothing to do with size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Love this trade, to be honest. Not sure Bitten will ever really be that good in the NHL, but Olofsson was never going to make our team full time, so at least we swapped him for a right handed center.

I also have to say, this feels like one of those situations where Fletcher would have either let him go on waivers or just traded him for a late round pick. Fenton went out and got a younger guy that fills an organization weakness and has okay scoring ability.

We are liking Reilly a lot so I hope Bitten turns out fine for you guys. He has wheels and works hard, very likeable kid but I don't see much scoring in him at the NHL level. Probably a 4th liner when all is said and done but he has it in him to be an NHL regular.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We are liking Reilly a lot so I hope Bitten turns out fine for you guys. He has wheels and works hard, very likeable kid but I don't see much scoring in him at the NHL level. Probably a 4th liner when all is said and done but he has it in him to be an NHL regular.

If he’s a quality 4th line C (someone earlier said he’d probably be a winger) I would be thrilled. If he becomes a 3C I’d be ecstatic. Like I said, with Suter, Brodin and Seeler, I didn’t see a path for him to make it to the NHL roster full time, especially with his injuries. So from my point of view, we traded “nothing” for a little bit more than nothing.

I do hope he can turn it around and be a quality player for you guys though.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
bergevin is ****ing in love with the 2013 somehow, he's trying to make his own Meta and see if you can win a cup with a roster fill with the same draft, ****ing idiot.

Meh. On the current roster they have four guys from the 2013 draft (Lehkonen, Domi, Drouin, and de la Rose), and five from 2011 (Reilly, Peca, Oulett, Danault, and Armia).

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
This feels like the Habs are just spinning their wheels taking every 23 year old tweener dman that can skate. A good idea if you plan on actually playing them in the NHL, and waiving a guy like Alzner to send a message. Not so much if they all leave in 1-2 years and you gave up a 20 year old on the first year of their ELC.

Conversely the Wild turned a kid that was probably going to be out of the org soon into a 20 year old forward.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This feels like the Habs are just spinning their wheels taking every 23 year old tweener dman that can skate. A good idea if you plan on actually playing them in the NHL, and waiving a guy like Alzner to send a message. Not so much if they all leave in 1-2 years and you gave up a 20 year old on the first year of their ELC.

Conversely the Wild turned a kid that was probably going to be out of the org soon into a 20 year old forward.
So, how's the Reilly deal working out for MTL? Not bad, huh? How about the Scandella deal for BUFF? Ok?

Olofsson has talent. Certainly better defensive chops than Reilly, and can handle the puck. If he gets, and stays healthy, he will be a steal. MN moved him, just like they moved the previous two LHD, because of space and waiver considerations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->