Confirmed Trade: [MIN/MTL] Gustav Olofsson for William Bitten

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So they're either very high on Olafsson or very unenthoused about Bitten considering he just turned pro. Minnesota got a good deal here.

Probably the latter. Verbeek basically took his spot. Realistically, you don't need that many undersized forwards that skate well but don't have great hands.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why do they look like Beavis and Butthead?

Good call.

2jb4xh.jpg

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bitten was very redundant and probably not on his way to make it, but I'd rather have traded someone else to be honest.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Damn I was high on Bitten during his draft year, was surprised he was ranked and taken so low. Goes to show NHL scouts know far more about prospects than we do.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I don't understand this deal. Why didn't Montreal just claim him?

If they had claimed him, he would need to be put on waivers to send him down to the minors.
Since he just cleared waivers, now they can send him down without risking losing him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If they had claimed him, he would need to be put on waivers to send him down to the minors.
Since he just cleared waivers, now they can send him down without risking losing him.
My question was leaning towards the price they paid, vs what they would have had they simply just claimed him.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
My question was leaning towards the price they paid, vs what they would have had they simply just claimed him.
Right, but simply claiming him (on top of adding another contract, as has been noted) would've meant playing him in the NHL and not in the AHL where they want him

Jul 6, 2016

If they would had claimed him, they would have had to keep him on the NHL roster for at least 30 days. Now, the guy will play at AHL level.

Bergevin had to re-build the whole left side of his D-Corp. Mete, Reilly are two good ones. Ouellet is still an enigma. Alzner is total crap as well as Benn. Schlemko is injured AGAIN ! That is why he acquired Kulak and Oloffson who will start at AHL level, but who have had plenty of games at NHL level last year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Another weird move by the king of Bargain bin moves. The team needs some NHL defensive help not another borderline guy that is being sent to the AHL.
Olofsson has top 4 tools. Just can't stay healthy. Can skate, handle the puck, and has a bit of offense to him. Not very physical, but long enough to cause problems for defenders. Needs NHL time, but always had Scandella, and later, Reilly and Seeler to fight for #3 LHD TOI(Brodin and Suter getting the top 2 spots) in those rare times when he wasn't injured.

I always had high hopes for him as being a 4/5. He might not make the NHL, but he is not a big, dopey, crease clearing guy with no puck skills. He doesn't have Reilly's offensive upside and aggressiveness, but he is a better defender.

Reactions: Andrei79

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
this is Montreal's 6th trade

IN:
T. Tatar - F
M Domi - F
J. Armia - F
N. Suzuki - F
G. Olofsson - D
B. Kulak - D
H. Shinkaruk - F
S. Mason ($1.366m buyout - 2 yrs)
2nd rd pick (2019)
5th rd pick (2019)
7th rd pick (2019)
4th rd pick (2020)

OUT:
M. Pacioretty - F
A. Galchenyuk - F
K. Rychel - F
R. Valiev - D
W. Bitten - F
M. Taormina - D
H. Hawkey - G
S. Bourque - D

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What a strange trade for the Habs.
Habs acquire a player who will likely play NHL games for them and still has some potential...

For a prospect who hasn't progressed since he was drafted and likely ends up in the ECHL this based on how his career has been trending

And the Habs are the ones who made a strange trade huh?

Must be like when they made a "strange" move to decide to draft Kotkaniemi too.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
When anyone is traded off the habs all of a sudden he becoems a good prospect or what have you. yet when trade offers are made for players that eventually gte traded for much less.. they get laughed at.. which is it fellas. BItten is a nice, gallagher, domi type player. I doubt he reaches their ceiling.. if so... good for him.. but he prob wouldnt crack the lineup in mtl. not with peoling, suzuki ylonen etc ahead of him on the prospect tree.

They need LD and someone with experience suits us fine.. hoepfully this means BEnn will be gone soon

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Contract limit

I am surprised that everyone thinks this is the reason... It is not.

It is simple... A player who went through waivers can be traded for and directly sent to the AHL without putting on waivers again. If Montreal had selected him, they would have to keep him on the NHL roster and that's not where they want him. Same as all other NHL teams. Olofsson's value was raised by passing through waivers because he now can play up to one full year in the AHL helping the team win more and maybe figure his game out.

In the same way, McCaron now holds a little value again because he went through waivers and can help the AHL all season and maybe turn things around for himself this year.

This trade is basically the same as the earlier Kulak deal. Getting good veterans for the AHL who actually could become something more someday.

I like it.

Reactions: NotYou and 2Pair

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What fanbase are you talking about?

The Montreal Canadiens fanbase?

You want to go take a stroll on our board to tell me what Stanley Cup parades have been planned lately?

I don't even know what this comment has to do with mine.

That's bound to happen when you're quoting someone who, frankly, doesn't look really smart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad