Player Discussion Milan Lucic

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lucic is fine. There was an extended period where he was on the third line, but he's been a lot better since being put on a 2nd line with Draisaitl. He even had a quality assist against Arizona. He was very good against Philly as well.

I get that he's been inconsistent, but the team in general has been very inconsistent. That's not unexpected exactly considering we were a last place team in the west last season. When the team figures itself out, I'm sure Lucic will find consistency.

Even now, Lucic is still 4th in points on the team, and even while being inconsistent in offense he's always been a great leadership presence and a physical one too. He's 2nd in the team in hits, and they aren't soft hits either. That combo of top six ability and physicality is a great combo to have.

Lucic has been exposed too often this season. Slow afoot...slow decision making...these are things that he has to improve,

While I think he has added important elements to the team I dont at all think that he is 'fine'
He has to be better and I think he will be. Lots of story left to be written here...for Lucic and the team.

In terms of his poor skating...I maintain that if he loses about 10 lbs it would make a big difference in his quickness and mobility.

See Patrick Maroon.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lucic has been exposed too often this season. Slow afoot...slow decision making...these are things that he has to improve,

While I think he has added important elements to the team I dont at all think that he is 'fine'
He has to be better and I think he will be. Lots of story left to be written here...for Lucic and the team.

In terms of his poor skating...I maintain that if he loses about 10 lbs it would make a big difference in his quickness and mobility.

See Patrick Maroon.
When I said he was fine, I was responding to the guy saying he had mental blocks to succeeding. I disagree. His issue is that either he just needs the right situation, or it's like you say and it's a skill problem. I think it's the situation. He needs the right players on the ice with him. Lucic is a player of extremes, positive and negative. On a good team, the good is emphasized and the bad de-emphasized. When the team is rolling the way it should, we won't notice Lucic's lack of speed.

Maroon has more speed, and that's why he fits with McDavid, and playing with McDavid is what is making him look like the next Lindros. Just because a player doesn't mesh with McDavid doesn't mean they can't help this team win games. Far from it.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

See Patrick Maroon.

Really don't think Lucic shedding pounds will do anything. The guy is just a bad skater, and he always has been. Taking away from his physical edge to improve his skating by a minuscule amount is not the answer. Guy can lose all the weight he wants, but when you don't have the technique, you are not getting faster. He has never needed to skate to be effective. This worked for Maroon because Maroon can actually skate. Watch the 2, their strides are completely different, Maroon looks like a competent skater while Lucic looks like he is struggling. Weight isn't fixing that.

He's in a pretty bad way right now. BUT, the last 2 games he has been much better on a line with Drai and Slep. Lucic's darkest times were when he was placed with Nuge and Ebs, where he was noticeably useless.

Lot's of guys are ragging hard on him mainly because of the dollars he got. If he's making 4 million right now I bet you it's a lot tamer in this forum. Chia handed him the money, and although I do not think he is playing up to expectations I don't think he is a detriment to this team in any way shape or form.

He has been one of the best power forwards in the NHL for some time now. I'm willing to wait on him. This time next year if he is still as bad, then I will be severely disappointed, as he has been my favourite player in the league since the Boston/Vancouver finals.

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It was a bad signing from Day 1...and it'll only get worse over time. It needed to happen to appease the fan base after losing Hall. Luckily, Maroon is essentially contributing everything that you'd hope for in a prime Lucic.

The only thing that can make this contract palatable is if he's got another gear in the playoffs. He apparently has done that in the past so we'll see what happens in crunch time / the playoffs.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
It was a bad signing from Day 1...and it'll only get worse over time. It needed to happen to appease the fan base after losing Hall. Luckily, Maroon is essentially contributing everything that you'd hope for in a prime Lucic.

The only thing that can make this contract palatable is if he's got another gear in the playoffs. He apparently has done that in the past so we'll see what happens in crunch time / the playoffs.

I don't think Chia was at all worried about apeasing the fan base then nor do I think he will in the future. Fact is is that he has built a team that is playoff bound. That is the most successful team we have had in a decade, and it isn't even close.

Gotta trust Chia here.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary

Lol. You still never miss an opportunity to throw your boy-toy Taylor Hall into every conversation. He's gone, it's time to move on. As oilers fans, good things are finally headed our way, enjoy them.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Lol. You still never miss an opportunity to throw your boy-toy Taylor Hall into every conversation. He's gone, it's time to move on. As oilers fans, good things are finally headed our way, enjoy them.

Do you think we would've signed Lucic to a $6m deal if Hall were still here? Of course it's related.

And I am enjoying them. This is awesome. I'm just not a fan of Lucic and I think it's a very bad signing.

I don't think Chia was at all worried about apeasing the fan base then nor do I think he will in the future. Fact is is that he has built a team that is playoff bound. That is the most successful team we have had in a decade, and it isn't even close.

Gotta trust Chia here.

I think he's a solid GM - he's the one that stole Maroon anyways. That doesn't mean I think all of his moves are great. This Lucic one is a major stinker unless he picks it up in the playoffs.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Holy crap you just brought up Hall again.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
"Lucic is on pace for his worst offensive season since 2008-09. He has not been the fit with Connor McDavid that the Oilers hoped he would be and his rate stats leave a lot to be desired.

Among 276 forwards with at least 500 minutes at 5v5 to their name, Lucic ranks 248th in points per 60 minutes played. The list of many who have been more efficient point producers includes Chris Tierney, Chris VandeVelde, Alex Chiasson, Luke Glendening and Rene Bourque. That doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture for Lucic, especially considering he has ridden shotgun with McDavid for a decent chunk of his 5v5 minutes.

Power forwards don't tend to age kindly and he turns 29 in a few months. I think we're starting to see that show." - Todd Cordell

I love the team. I love the player. But not that contract. People can still be excited for their team and point out flaws in it.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Awful year so far but I'm not ready to write him off just yet. Want to see him finish the year and see how he looks next year.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Awful year so far but I'm not ready to write him off just yet. Want to see him finish the year and see how he looks next year.

Any chance he can get buried in the minors next year if he doesn't improve?

Also anyone know if he can be bought out next CBA without cap implications?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

His contract is front loaded Phoenix will take him in a few years worst case scenario.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

He's gotta get worse before burying him in the minors is even considered.

He could be bought out with a normal course buyout. That's insanely expensive and a huge cap hit. They Oilers gotta give him at least one more season.

Next CBA is a long way off and Looch will only have two years left on his contract, unless it is extended.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

He has a NMC. So he can't even be placed on waivers for the purpose of demotion.

We are stuck with him. So the only thing we can hope for is his performance improves.

Buying him out is not smart. I mean sure he has been bad but he is still effective. It's not like we have anyone better to put in the lineup, so why would we pay the cap hit to buy him out?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Power forwards don't tend to age kindly and he turns 29 in a few months. I think we're starting to see that show." - Todd Cordell

They don't?

I'm not sure where that idea comes from.You have any proof of that?

I think of a bunch of big tough forwards that aged just fine.

Howe, Messier, Shanahan, Tkachuk,
Doan, Iginla, etc etc.

Scott Hartnell can't skate worth beans and he's still chugging along at 34 years of age.

Ryan Smyth took as much punishment as anyone and he was slow in the later half of his career but still effective.

I don't buy this narrative that big tough players break down quickly.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They don't?

I'm not sure where that idea comes from.You have any proof of that?

I think of a bunch of big tough forwards that aged just fine.

Howe, Messier, Shanahan, Tkachuk,
Doan, Iginla, etc etc.

Scott Hartnell can't skate worth beans and he's still chugging along at 34 years of age.

Ryan Smyth took as much punishment as anyone and he was slow in the later half of his career but still effective.

I don't buy this narrative that big tough players break down quickly.

Quick decline usually comes for guys that had injuries. Lucic still has good wheels when he wants to use them. He's had a pretty charmed career so far rarely being hurt. I don't see his decline coming as a result of his body breaking down any time soon. His issue right now is not bearing down and playing like he's confused about what his role on the team is. He needs to get that figured out in his own head and with the coaching staff.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
For all the *****ing and complaining about him he's only 4 points back of Calgary's golden boys. You know, guys that are getting paid more than him.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC

See I don't get these comments. Lucic has more points then maroon. I just don't think the expectations of lucic matched his career contributions. He has 31 points and will likely get to 40+ sure it's been a down season but he has been himself overall.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
See I don't get these comments. Lucic has more points then maroon. I just don't think the expectations of lucic matched his career contributions. He has 31 points and will likely get to 40+ sure it's been a down season but he has been himself overall.

Lucic has only 1 more point than Maroon. Over half of his production is on the PP. If Maroon got the same PP opportunities as Lucic, it wouldn't be close. Maroon has been luckier with shot % but he's essentially doubling Lucic's goal scoring.

Apart from that, I think Maroon has done a much better job physically imposing himself on the other team. Lucic has had a few huge games but has been quiet for the most part. We shall see what happens come playoff time.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Lucic has only 1 more point than Maroon. Over half of his production is on the PP. If Maroon got the same PP opportunities as Lucic, it wouldn't be close. Maroon has been luckier with shot % but he's essentially doubling Lucic's goal scoring.

Apart from that, I think Maroon has done a much better job physically imposing himself on the other team. Lucic has had a few huge games but has been quiet for the most part. We shall see what happens come playoff time.

Lucic was on pace to score to score 25 goals and 55-60 points playing with McDavid.

Why is Lucic often paired with " half his production came from the PP" or " he only got those points because he was playing with Mcdavid" yet Maroon is rarely ever spoken about in that way.

I mean sure, Lucic has been bad. But you cannot tell me Maroon is scoring 20+ on a line with RNH/Nuge or Caggiula/Slep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad