Player Discussion Milan Lucic

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Hall has always been a tough guy to figure out.

I see what you are saying, but Hall played 75 games in 2013-14. Is he injury prone? It's a little more complicated than you make it sound. He essentially played three full seasons out of his final four with the Oilers.

He does seem snake bit. NJ is 28th in the league. Imagine if they win the lottery? Being on teams with 5 first overalls in eight years (counting his own draft) would have to be a record.

All that being said, I think the Oilers have to be happy with Lucic as a replacement.

I definitely feel bad for him. I loved him as a player, he was 100 percent my favorite player on this team.

I wasn't angry with the trade though. Well, I can't say that because initially, I was furious because I hadn't really watched Larsson play at all and he wasn't the big name guy I thought Hall would bring in. But after a while I am actually happy we made it.

Hall will play out his contract and I assume will leave NJ and head to greener pastures. I don't think NJ will make the playoffs in his remaining 3 seasons, so that leaves Hall at 28 years old and 10 seasons in the league before he even sees playoff action IF he signs with a team that makes it. That is so depressing for a guy like him.

Back on topic though, Lucic won't bring the offensive firepower that Hall would, but I believe all things considered(playoff experience, physical play, leadership etc) I think Lucic has a bigger overall impact on the team than Hall would. So yes, I am very happy with the replacement. Not to mention Lucic has been my favorite player in the league for years now. I was absolutely pumped when they signed him.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I also loved the interview in general, but just to nitpick a bit I don't really find it that exceptional just knowing the guys you have spent the last 6 months playing with (i.e. their playoff experience). These guys spend a looooot of time together.

edit: oh, note that he listed mostly EC players, Larsson, Pouliot (who actually played with Lucic in Boston in the playoffs 11/12), Sekera (who was eliminated by Boston in 09/10) and Talbot.

Anyhow, who cares, but I sometimes feel as if we wrongly assume that players are not like other people. Everyone working close together get to know each other.

It seems to me, power forwards approaching 30 years of age have a choice: continue to go all-out and watch your body fall apart (call it the, 'Wendel Clark' approach) or start playing a little more judiciously and save your cornered wolf persona for when it really matters (the Messier method).

I'm happy to see Lucic go the second route. It speaks to his hockey sense and his ability to deliver (hopefully) into his mid 30s. But I've been a fan of this signing since day one and really haven't been as down on him at all. Even when he was slumping, I liked what this guy brings in swagger and persona.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It seems to me, power forwards approaching 30 years of age have a choice: continue to go all-out and watch your body fall apart (call it the, 'Wendel Clark' approach) or start playing a little more judiciously and save your cornered wolf persona for when it really matters (the Messier method).

I'm happy to see Lucic go the second route. It speaks to his hockey sense and his ability to deliver (hopefully) into his mid 30s. But I've been a fan of this signing since day one and really haven't been as down on him at all. Even when he was slumping, I liked what this guy brings in swagger and persona.

I was his biggest supporter early on and received a lot of backlash for the defending of his play. But even I was pretty much giving up. He looked so lethargic all the time and didn't really look like he gave a ****. There is no doubt in my mind now though.

I think his approach looks a little more calming now is also because of the fact nobody wants to go with the guy. It's amazing how a guy like Letestu or Kassian can crash the net and get pummeled, yet when he does it nobody even so much as touches him. People were bothering him in that Nashville game, and he just unleashed. I can't remember the player he cold cocked infront of the net, but it was devastating. Then the massive hit followed by the goal.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Lucics disposition and attitude is irreplaceable. Great individual to have on the team at this point of the season.

Positive energy is where it's at.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lucic is a seasoned vet whos been to the dance many times. Ill trust he knows how to play throughout a season to be in peak ability for playoffs or late in the season

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I've been a big supporter of his as well. His reaction time to some plays is terribly slow, but aside from that I love what he brings. Glad he's turning it on down the stretch right now.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It was an overpayment, as all UFA signings are. However, in addition to what Lucic can do on the ice, he provides Draisaitl and McDavid with that veteran, impact forward mentor that Hall, Eberle, and RNH never had for all those lost seasons. Yesterday's interview was a glimpse into the value that provides to the Oilers dressing room.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
It was an overpayment, as all UFA signings are. However, in addition to what Lucic can do on the ice, he provides Draisaitl and McDavid with that veteran, impact forward mentor that Hall, Eberle, and RNH never had for all those lost seasons.

There are only three times a player gets signed. UFA, RFA or contract extension. Given that these are all very different ways to sign a player, you should only compare like to like (ie, compare UFA signing to UFA signing, RFA to RFA, extension to extension). Then if all UFA signings are "overpayment," logically no UFA signing are overpayments because that means what they are being signed at is the norm. We should stop calling them overpayments at this point. The market demands the price be set where they are signed at.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Not sure how a player is an "overpayment" when he gets the same cap hit as his previous contract

Ofcourse the term will always be debated...but nobody has a crystal ball

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The next Clarkson is playing pretty well, hey PrinceOfPucks? Oh yeah, you are an "Oiler fan" that doesn't post on the Oiler board, so you didn't see this post.

:rolleyes:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The next Clarkson is playing pretty well, hey PrinceOfPucks? Oh yeah, you are an "Oiler fan" that doesn't post on the Oiler board, so you didn't see this post.

:rolleyes:

Just the good ol mains trying to find anything to insult the Oilers this year because they barely have any arsenal compared to the years before.

I bet some of them were itching their fingers for a "WHY ARE THE OILERS SO TERRIBLE?"

Nice to see Looch emerge from his slumber as the playoffs are almost here. He's gonna be huge for us.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
There are only three times a player gets signed. UFA, RFA or contract extension. Given that these are all very different ways to sign a player, you should only compare like to like (ie, compare UFA signing to UFA signing, RFA to RFA, extension to extension). Then if all UFA signings are "overpayment," logically no UFA signing are overpayments because that means what they are being signed at is the norm. We should stop calling them overpayments at this point. The market demands the price be set where they are signed at.

The logic you missed was comparing a UFA signing to a contract extension of a impending UFA received by trade or just a contract extension. UFA signings are overpriced compared to contract extensions and RFA's normally. Maybe not compared to themselves. Just like I'm not taller than myself if I compare to myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I was a supporter of the signing but for me this still hasn't really been good enough for year 1.

It's nice that Looch has finally decided to start playing like he gives a ****, but we aren't paying him top dollar to only show up for 30 games in a season.

If he was having issues with his back then that's one thing(and scary in it's own way), but I'm gonna need a real source on that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lucic wasn't playing well earlier on, and he owned up to it. That's what a proven and classy vet does, and now he's playing how we expected him to play.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I was his biggest supporter early on and received a lot of backlash for the defending of his play. But even I was pretty much giving up. He looked so lethargic all the time and didn't really look like he gave a ****. There is no doubt in my mind now though.

I think his approach looks a little more calming now is also because of the fact nobody wants to go with the guy. It's amazing how a guy like Letestu or Kassian can crash the net and get pummeled, yet when he does it nobody even so much as touches him. People were bothering him in that Nashville game, and he just unleashed. I can't remember the player he cold cocked infront of the net, but it was devastating. Then the massive hit followed by the goal.

It was Austin Watson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crF7b9x8i1Y) and it was behind the net. Ended up with a 2nd PP, and then scored to tie it up. Changed that game completely.

If they make the playoffs and he only plays full out for the potential 28 games there, I think that's really all you need out of him. If you're not making the playoffs it's a different story, but really why do you care about how he does in the regular season as long as they're making the playoffs?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It was Austin Watson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crF7b9x8i1Y) and it was behind the net. Ended up with a 2nd PP, and then scored to tie it up. Changed that game completely.

If they make the playoffs and he only plays full out for the potential 28 games there, I think that's really all you need out of him. If you're not making the playoffs it's a different story, but really why do you care about how he does in the regular season as long as they're making the playoffs?

The hit I know yes, but prior to that I believe it was Weber that was infront of the Oilers net. I think he gave Lucic a little stick and Lucic almost one punch KOed him.

McDavid Gilmour

Jun 7, 2016
E-Town
I was a supporter of the signing but for me this still hasn't really been good enough for year 1.

It's nice that Looch has finally decided to start playing like he gives a ****, but we aren't paying him top dollar to only show up for 30 games in a season.

I think you could have said the exact same thing regarding Sekera last season. Sometimes players need time to adjust to a new team/style of play. I believe next season we will see Lucic's true value.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think you could have said the exact same thing regarding Sekera last season. Sometimes players need time to adjust to a new team/style of play. I believe next season we will see Lucic's true value.

I think Sekera was just on a horrid team. That year Klef was basically injured most the time, we had no Larsson, no Russell. Sekera was tied to Nurse for the season for the most part, who was a rookie prone to mistakes.

Lucic might just be like he's been. Maybe he's not able to endure a marathon of a season, and needs play through the season to tune up to his maximum. That would not be ideal, but it's a far cry from saying that he's a washed up waste of cap space. If we can only really count on him to play to his max in the last quarter of the season, and the playoffs, that would be okay I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino