Player Discussion Milan Lucic

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Reading your threads reminds me a lot of ours in his last few years with us. Nobody could figure out why he took so many nights off. His most fervent fans would always repeat "he's saving it for the playoffs", even in the stretch run to them.

It's weird, it's hard to say exactly what happened to Looch. But it all happened around the time of him starting a family in 2013. You could actually see the change start right then. Since then he's a much more cautious player. The refs also have been so hard on him that he's had to change his game. So you get a guy that although still a monster when unleashed, rarely gets to do it. Also teams realized that if you don't **** him off, he never gets to that gear. If you physically attack Milan Lucic, he turns into the hulk. But if you don't, he just plods around on too many nights.

I think he'll go down as one of the most frustrating players in the history of the game. Like Kovalev but in another way. Could have been an all time great. Anyway I hope he snaps out of it for you guys, I'd love to see you make a deep run.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
Reading your threads reminds me a lot of ours in his last few years with us. Nobody could figure out why he took so many nights off. His most fervent fans would always repeat "he's saving it for the playoffs", even in the stretch run to them.

It's weird, it's hard to say exactly what happened to Looch. But it all happened around the time of him starting a family in 2013. You could actually see the change start right then. Since then he's a much more cautious player. The refs also have been so hard on him that he's had to change his game. So you get a guy that although still a monster when unleashed, rarely gets to do it. Also teams realized that if you don't **** him off, he never gets to that gear. If you physically attack Milan Lucic, he turns into the hulk. But if you don't, he just plods around on too many nights.

I think he'll go down as one of the most frustrating players in the history of the game. Like Kovalev but in another way. Could have been an all time great. Anyway I hope he snaps out of it for you guys, I'd love to see you make a deep run.

I am okay with his game , yeah it would be nice if he put up more points but he is still a beast on the boards and when he is in front of the net nobody is moving him. We have seen him in beast mode a couple of times here and it is something else. Wish he brought it more but he has been a huge part of the culture change here.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Maroon is doing everything Lucic was suppose to do for a fraction of the price.

What couldnt this useless bum at least beat up Manning? What was the point of an offensive star like Maroon risking breaking a hand while Lucic only coasts through the neutral zone at a glacial pace?

But but dont worry he'll magically turn into Pisani in the playoffs right?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I think Lucic's body is seriously beat up and you are only going to get a 50 percent version of this guy every 4 out of 5 games. He will be big in the playoffs though no doubt.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Maroon is doing everything Lucic was suppose to do for a fraction of the price.

What couldnt this useless bum at least beat up Manning?

Looch definitely challenged Manning twice. You can't attack a guy who doesn't want to fight (even Maroon came awful close to doing that).

I'd say stick to criticisms of Lucic's hockey, which is pretty atrocious right now. One major mistake per game in the last 3, including last night's complete howler where he lets Gudas glide into the paint like he's made of melting butter. I'm starting to wonder if this year will just be a write-off for Milan.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Looch definitely challenged Manning twice. You can't attack a guy who doesn't want to fight (even Maroon came awful close to doing that).

I'd say stick to criticisms of Lucic's hockey, which is pretty atrocious right now. One major mistake per game in the last 3, including last night's complete howler where he lets Gudas glide into the paint like he's made of melting butter. I'm starting to wonder if this year will just be a write-off for Milan.

Actually Maroon didn't give Manning a choice. That's why Maroon is a favsy

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Actually Maroon didn't give Manning a choice. That's why Maroon is a favsy

Manning did throw his gloves off when Maroon came after him... he could have turtled but he didn't. Makes me think there was some agreement there in advance.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Lucic's worth will be determined by how he plays in the playoffs.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Patty Maroon probably told him it was best to fight him right now before Kassian pulled a Bertuzzi on him. Guys that don't live up to their end of the bargain have bad things happen to them.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Don't know why we have to rag on a guy after wins.

Because he didnt contribute to the win? Because he's being paid 6 million dollars to make the Oilers a better team, and so far the only evidence that he has done so is rumors he is a "good locker room presence". That's an expensive motivational speaker.

The worst part is he has had a few very very short stretches were he was dominant, which makes me believe it isnt that he has lost all ability to play hockey, it's that he's just lazy or unmotivated.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because he didnt contribute to the win? Because he's being paid 6 million dollars to make the Oilers a better team, and so far the only evidence that he has done so is rumors he is a "good locker room presence". That's an expensive motivational speaker.

The worst part is he has had a few very very short stretches were he was dominant, which makes me believe it isnt that he has lost all ability to play hockey, it's that he's just lazy or unmotivated.

I don't give a ****. There are wins where everyone contributed and wins where very few people contributed. We don't know what goes on at ice level or in the locker room. We're just searching for reasons to feel upset at this point. It's ****ing Stockholm syndrome, like people want to be upset no matter how well the team is doing.

I'd wait until the playoffs to pass judgment. As long as we win, I don't care if Lucic doesn't produce.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Don't know why we have to rag on a guy after wins.

Cause this guy is signed for 6 more years at 6m and has 13 5v5 points after playing a huge chunk of the season with Connor McDavid. He has less 5v5 points than Zack Kassian, Mark Letestu, Oscar Klefbom, and tied with Sekera.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Cause this guy is signed for 6 more years at 6m and has 13 5v5 points after playing a huge chunk of the season with Connor McDavid. He has less 5v5 points than Zack Kassian, Mark Letestu, Oscar Klefbom, and tied with Sekera.

We won the game.

That's what is most important. People refuse to enjoy wins around these parts for reasons I can't understand.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Will be incredibly surprised if lucic somehow undergoes an insane transformation when the playoffs hit. Don't see it at all. Dude looks like how I would've expected him to look on the tail end of his brutal contract. Chiarellis only terrible move I think.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Patty Maroon probably told him it was best to fight him right now before Kassian pulled a Bertuzzi on him. Guys that don't live up to their end of the bargain have bad things happen to them.

That's a pretty ****** thing to say. There's no indication that Kassian would pull that kind of ****. No need to drag someone's name and reputation into the mud for no reason. Kassian has been a huge win for the Oilers in every way - playing great, great attitude, fan favorite, great story. Let's cool it on this kind of ****.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
People probably know that I have been Lucic's number one supporter this whole season. I have actually gotten chewed out on here for my "bias" against him.

But to be honest I am slowly falling off the wagon with him. He just isn't playing like he should be.

That being said, who the **** cares right now. The team is winning.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
I don't give a ****. There are wins where everyone contributed and wins where very few people contributed. We don't know what goes on at ice level or in the locker room. We're just searching for reasons to feel upset at this point. It's ****ing Stockholm syndrome, like people want to be upset no matter how well the team is doing.

I'd wait until the playoffs to pass judgment. As long as we win, I don't care if Lucic doesn't produce.

Im happy they won and I was at the game enjoying it. That said, it was a mediocre effort that would have been a loss against the majority of teams in the league. If you cant handle criticism of the team, go to a forum that only caters to fans with rose colored glasses.

I care if Lucic doesnt produce. He's a 42 million dollar anchor that will severely impair the ability to build a championship caliber team. Not only that, Chia has given all the forwards on the team (and UFAs) a comparable for negotiations. Do you think Patty Maroon is going to take a few million less than Lucic because he's a nice guy? His agent is going to face off across from Chia and say "You gave this guy $6 mil a year for 7 years and he cant shoot, skate, or play hockey. What do you have for Patrick?"

I'm not rooting against the guy. I hope he comes out flying the last third of the season and into the playoffs. However, I'll give credit where it's due, and Lucic deserves absolutely none.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
We'll see what happens with Lucic.

For the "oh he'll obviously deliver in the playoffs' crowd, he was single-handedly the worst player for LA last year in the playoffs. At least at forward.

Pressure will be on. He's an emotional guy, he definitely can't be taking this well.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Im happy they won and I was at the game enjoying it. That said, it was a mediocre effort that would have been a loss against the majority of teams in the league. If you cant handle criticism of the team, go to a forum that only caters to fans with rose colored glasses.

I care if Lucic doesnt produce. He's a 42 million dollar anchor that will severely impair the ability to build a championship caliber team. Not only that, Chia has given all the forwards on the team (and UFAs) a comparable for negotiations. Do you think Patty Maroon is going to take a few million less than Lucic because he's a nice guy? His agent is going to face off across from Chia and say "You gave this guy $6 mil a year for 7 years and he cant shoot, skate, or play hockey. What do you have for Patrick?"

I'm not rooting against the guy. I hope he comes out flying the last third of the season and into the playoffs. However, I'll give credit where it's due, and Lucic deserves absolutely none.

If Maroon asks for 6M, I would be very unhappy if Chiarelli gives that to him. He plays great with McDavid, and I think he understands that. 4.5 is what I expect Maroon to be worth on his next contract.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
If Maroon asks for 6M, I would be very unhappy if Chiarelli gives that to him. He plays great with McDavid, and I think he understands that. 4.5 is what I expect Maroon to be worth on his next contract.

That's the point though. Maroon is doing absolutely everything Lucic was supposed to be doing when we signed him. Why on Earth would he take $4.5 million?

If he scores 25 goals this year, He's going to get upwards of $5 mil as a UFA easily imo, regardless of how much playing with McDavid has boosted his production. A big, physical player that scores that much is going to get paid by someone.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
He's been playing like a $4 million dollar player this year.

Honestly given that he was a UFA it's not that big a deal. Term sucks but oh well.

He's on pace for 44 points, the very same number he scored in 2014-2015.

I'd like 10 more points in a season from him, but what were you all expecting? He is what he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad