Player Discussion Milan Lucic

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He's been pretty aggravating to watch this season, but I'm still giving him a chance. Sekera has managed to settled in after last season and I believe the same could happen to Lucic. When the team makes the playoffs, I think he's gonna show the Lucic we've been all waiting for.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
We won the game.

That's what is most important. People refuse to enjoy wins around these parts for reasons I can't understand.

This is simpleton logic. No one is being critical of Maroon, Eberle or McDavid. Lucic was awful yet again and hasnt scored a goal in 20+ games.

Hes not getting 6 million a year for being a rumored lockeroom leader. All we can evaluate for a fact is his atrocious on ice play.

Its pathetic that people are clinging to this false hope that an alarm is going to go off in Lucic's head come game 1 of the playoffs and hes going to turn into Fernando Pisani.

Need to call a spade a spade and Lucic has been the worst performer on this team considering his expectations and contract.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He's been playing like a $4 million dollar player this year.

Honestly given that he was a UFA it's not that big a deal. Term sucks but oh well.

He's on pace for 44 points, the very same number he scored in 2014-2015.

I'd like 10 more points in a season from him, but what were you all expecting? He is what he is.

Those points are front loaded playing with McDavid early on - which looks like its never ever going to happen again.

He could very well turn into a 20 point player if he plays the same way next year.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
That's the point though. Maroon is doing absolutely everything Lucic was supposed to be doing when we signed him. Why on Earth would he take $4.5 million?

If he scores 25 goals this year, He's going to get upwards of $5 mil as a UFA easily imo, regardless of how much playing with McDavid has boosted his production. A big, physical player that scores that much is going to get paid by someone.

I dunno about that. He scores that much with McDavid. On a team without McDavid, he may not get the same production, and so teams may be a bit wary to throw big money at him.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I dunno about that. He scores that much with McDavid. On a team without McDavid, he may not get the same production, and so teams may be a bit wary to throw big money at him.

I think you're underselling your argument. it's proven on other teams without McDavid that he cannot put up this type of production.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
He's been pretty aggravating to watch this season, but I'm still giving him a chance. Sekera has managed to settled in after last season and I believe the same could happen to Lucic. When the team makes the playoffs, I think he's gonna show the Lucic we've been all waiting for.

Sure hope so. I'm clinging to the hope he matters in the playoffs because it's been brutal so far.
I thought the contract would be a problem later but worth it for help now.
Not so much.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Those points are front loaded playing with McDavid early on - which looks like its never ever going to happen again.

He could very well turn into a 20 point player if he plays the same way next year.

If he got a bunch of points from being front loaded with McDavid, then why was he forced off the line with McDavid? Unless you can show me a list of his points with and without McDavid, I'm going to assume you are just using this as a means to advance your argument.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is simpleton logic. No one is being critical of Maroon, Eberle or McDavid. Lucic was awful yet again and hasnt scored a goal in 20+ games.

Hes not getting 6 million a year for being a rumored lockeroom leader. All we can evaluate for a fact is his atrocious on ice play.

Its pathetic that people are clinging to this false hope that an alarm is going to go off in Lucic's head come game 1 of the playoffs and hes going to turn into Fernando Pisani.

Need to call a spade a spade and Lucic has been the worst performer on this team considering his expectations and contract.

Ooooh you haven't been paying close attention this year...

Even Maroon was pretty ineffective for a few weeks after his scoring outburst.

Everyone on the team (even McDavid) has drawn ire from the fanbase from time to time. People rip this team to shreds even after wins.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
He's been playing like a $4 million dollar player this year.

Honestly given that he was a UFA it's not that big a deal. Term sucks but oh well.

He's on pace for 44 points, the very same number he scored in 2014-2015.

I'd like 10 more points in a season from him, but what were you all expecting? He is what he is.

Lucic has four points at even strength since December 1. Four even strength points in 34 games.

To compare: Pouliot has six even strength points in 30 games since December 1.

Pouliot is getting no PP time, Lucic averages 3 minutes a game on the PP to get a few extra assists here and there.

Considering Pouliot is at a 4M cap hit, I guess this is accurate :laugh:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site

Do you feel he is a detriment to the team, or just not performing to his cost?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Ooooh you haven't been paying close attention this year...

Even Maroon was pretty ineffective for a few weeks after his scoring outburst.

Everyone on the team (even McDavid) has drawn ire from the fanbase from time to time. People rip this team to shreds even after wins.

Oooooh actually you havent been paying attention to the message I replied to which asked why are people complaining after a win.

As I noted Eberle looked good last night and no one is complaining a day after. Lucic for the umpteenth time was the worst forward on the ice.

Buttttt hes a positive locker room factor that will magically transform in playoff game 1 right?

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
It takes time for players to adjust to new teams.

We all new that Lucic didn't fit well with McDavid from very early on but TM forced that line for such a long time. The constant line juggling since being moved off the top line hasn't helped Lucic find his place either.

Lucic has looked out of position, not ready to receive a pass which has led him to fumble the puck and turn it over. He makes a lot of blind passes expecting players to be in certain places that there not. A lot of these things can improve as he develops some chemistry by playing with the same guys for a while.

I really do believe that if we keep him with Draisaitl long term, his play will eventually pick up. Lucic doesn't fit with Nuge as both players rely on others to make plays.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
It takes time for players to adjust to new teams.

We all new that Lucic didn't fit well with McDavid from very early on but TM forced that line for such a long time. The constant line juggling since being moved off the top line hasn't helped Lucic find his place either.

Lucic has looked out of position, not ready to receive a pass which has led him to fumble the puck and turn it over. He makes a lot of blind passes expecting players to be in certain places that there not. A lot of these things can improve as he develops some chemistry by playing with the same guys for a while.

I really do believe that if we keep him with Draisaitl long term, his play will eventually pick up. Lucic doesn't fit with Nuge as both players rely on others to make plays.

He can't skate. Will that change?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I just hate this contract down the road... its gonna bite the Oilers in the butt for many years. I was dead wrong thinking he would be an absolute stud this year and up till year 4 and then tail off... its just looking terrible from the get go

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oooooh actually you havent been paying attention to the message I replied to which asked why are people complaining after a win.

As I noted Eberle looked good last night and no one is complaining a day after. Lucic for the umpteenth time was the worst forward on the ice.

Buttttt hes a positive locker room factor that will magically transform in playoff game 1 right?

Yes Eberle had a good game.

He's also been nailed to the cross so many times he should consider a name change.

This fanbase always needs a scapegoat or something to complain about. It's gross.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I'm giving him a pass because the Oilers are going to make the freaking playoffs..

EVERYONE GETS A PASS THIS YEAR :yo:

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

We've seen him up his intensity in some games this season. He can't play that way for 82 games obviously cause of this style though, but I wouldn't count him out for being a dominate force in the playoffs like past years.

He's not going to be a offensive driver on a line, so if you put him on lines with guys struggling offensively like Nuge and Cagg's, hes not going to produce the way he is capable

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
At this point Im just hoping he's been taking it easy to save himself for the playoffs, he's played a lot of long seasons over the years and it seems like he paces himself and now having a long contract doesn't need to worry about stats.

Once the games really matter and the intensity goes up I bet he'll do whatever it takes to put the puck in the net and be a force.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Its all in his head now it has to be. He is a good player for sure he just has to find his mojo again.he is well aware of his lack of production and im sure he wants more than anything to turn this around and im sure he will . may take a healthy scratch to really **** him off and get him going but something needs to give here

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Its all in his head now it has to be. He is a good player for sure he just has to find his mojo again.he is well aware of his lack of production and im sure he wants more than anything to turn this around and im sure he will . may take a healthy scratch to really **** him off and get him going but something needs to give here

Lucic is fine. There was an extended period where he was on the third line, but he's been a lot better since being put on a 2nd line with Draisaitl. He even had a quality assist against Arizona. He was very good against Philly as well.

I get that he's been inconsistent, but the team in general has been very inconsistent. That's not unexpected exactly considering we were a last place team in the west last season. When the team figures itself out, I'm sure Lucic will find consistency.

Even now, Lucic is still 4th in points on the team, and even while being inconsistent in offense he's always been a great leadership presence and a physical one too. He's 2nd in the team in hits, and they aren't soft hits either. That combo of top six ability and physicality is a great combo to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad