Player Discussion Milan Lucic

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Lucic was on pace to score to score 25 goals and 55-60 points playing with McDavid.

Why is Lucic often paired with " half his production came from the PP" or " he only got those points because he was playing with Mcdavid" yet Maroon is rarely ever spoken about in that way.

I mean sure, Lucic has been bad. But you cannot tell me Maroon is scoring 20+ on a line with RNH/Nuge or Caggiula/Slep.

Lucic was bad with McDavid and is one of the worst in the league without him.

Maroon is great with McDavid and was okay without him.

Multiply that issue by their respective cap hits.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
Lucic was bad with McDavid and is one of the worst in the league without him.

Maroon is great with McDavid and was okay without him.

Multiply that issue by their respective cap hits.

So , once Maroon gets his raise he will be crap too? I mean even if he scores at this rate once that $$$ goes up his value is no longer as good right?

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Might as well just support the guy. He's not going anywhere.

Plus, I think he's probably done wonders in the dressing room and he's one of those players that can be invaluable in the playoffs.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He is also a deterrence on the ice..
There is a reason why there hasnt been many cheap shots / after the whistle action against the Oilers..
Looch can go and stand in the blue crease after the whistle and no one would touch him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He is also a deterrence on the ice..
There is a reason why there hasnt been many cheap shots / after the whistle action against the Oilers..
Looch can go and stand in the blue crease after the whistle and no one would touch him.

He also gives lots of cheap shots after the whistle and during live play. He is good at sneaking them in.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
The problem with Lucic isn't that he doesn't provide any value. It's that he hasn't provided anything close to what his contract demands.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
The problem with Lucic isn't that he doesn't provide any value. It's that he hasn't provided anything close to what his contract demands.

He is what 4th on the team in scoring , the culture of the team has changed entirly , he has been very good on the PP....

Baffles me when people bring up contracts as a way to measure performance. Is there some formula saying that a player paid X amount reguardless of style should do X?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
He is what 4th on the team in scoring , the culture of the team has changed entirly , he has been very good on the PP....

Baffles me when people bring up contracts as a way to measure performance. Is there some formula saying that a player paid X amount reguardless of style should do X?

It's funny too because if we were paying him 4 million probably nobody has any complaints, or at least not to the extremes fans are going to. It's a difference of 2.7 percent of our cap. It's silly when you think of it that way.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

As far as I'm concerned, the rebuild isn't finished yet. The measure of completion was not just in getting wins, since even flawed teams like the 2013 Avs could do that. Until the team gets those last couple pieces, it's hard to gauge the players individually. If fact despite our success, lots of players are slumping. Lucic is still 4th in team scoring.

We got Lucic to get his skillset. He's shown that he still has all those skills this season. He's a good goal scorer, and a physically dominating presence. He also has shown to have a great leadership qualities, with a humble and intelligent personality. He will figure out his game. We signed him long term, fully aware that we were a last place team at the time. I know many say that his last few years on the deal would be rough, but we shouldn't expect our first year of success to be as smooth as the year's beyond. I would guess that Lucic's later years here will actually be better than this season for just that reason.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Lucic has a chance right now to really earn his contract. This a is a young team and their confidence could get fragile going into the final push. Lucic more than anyone else needs to be the calming voice. He's been to the dance twice and made the playoffs almost every year of his career. He knows what needs to get done.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
It's funny too because if we were paying him 4 million probably nobody has any complaints, or at least not to the extremes fans are going to. It's a difference of 2.7 percent of our cap. It's silly when you think of it that way.

It's still 2 million that can't be spent elsewhere. It matters.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, the rebuild isn't finished yet. The measure of completion was not just in getting wins, since even flawed teams like the 2013 Avs could do that. Until the team gets those last couple pieces, it's hard to gauge the players individually. If fact despite our success, lots of players are slumping. Lucic is still 4th in team scoring.

We got Lucic to get his skillset. He's shown that he still has all those skills this season. He's a good goal scorer, and a physically dominating presence. He also has shown to have a great leadership qualities, with a humble and intelligent personality. He will figure out his game. We signed him long term, fully aware that we were a last place team at the time. I know many say that his last few years on the deal would be rough, but we shouldn't expect our first year of success to be as smooth as the year's beyond. I would guess that Lucic's later years here will actually be better than this season for just that reason.

As far as the leadership stuff, I can't know that and neither can anyone outside the team. You could be right.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

It baffles you how contracts matter in a cap league?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It baffles you how contracts matter in a cap league?

No but like I have said and others here, contracts don't always dictate scoring. Lucic brings more with him than scoring. This year and next year I can let it slide but if he isn't picking it up in year 3 and 4, then we should be getting on his case not able to produce. For now, he's bringing a new attitude to the locker room and pumped the team up to the point that any game they play is winnable. Last night's game (Chicago) was a REAL good example of that.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It's still 2 million that can't be spent elsewhere. It matters.

Well of course it matters. But to the level that some posters are taking it to, it's a little crazy.

I am not stating we should be nonchalant about his cap situation. I am just saying we shouldn't be in fear of this contract burying us in the future.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
No but like I have said and others here, contracts don't always dictate scoring. Lucic brings more with him than scoring. This year and next year I can let it slide but if he isn't picking it up in year 3 and 4, then we should be getting on his case not able to produce. For now, he's bringing a new attitude to the locker room and pumped the team up to the point that any game they play is winnable. Last night's game (Chicago) was a REAL good example of that.

Well, I can understand that. McDavid's entry level eating up any damage that contract does but $6 million is a lot to pay for character. I can't know how much Lucic has changed the locker room and neither can anyone else here.i can only go by what I see, and it really hasn't been good. This team has holes that will be hard to fill when McDavid and Draisaitl get new contracts. If Lucic is still this year's model, it's a problem. Similar to RNH and Eberle.
I would put credit for last night's win on Talbot. I wouldn't say Lucic had them fired up. He did score though, 5 on 5 to boot, so that's something I guess.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Well of course it matters. But to the level that some posters are taking it to, it's a little crazy.

I am not stating we should be nonchalant about his cap situation. I am just saying we shouldn't be in fear of this contract burying us in the future.

Sure we should. Fayne, Pouliot are already limiting what Chia can do. Lucic underperforming compounds this.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sure we should. Fayne, Pouliot are already limiting what Chia can do. Lucic underperforming compounds this.

You are implying Lucic and his play will never improve beyond what it has been so far this season so therefore the contract is an albatross.

A bit early for that position...dont you think?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You are implying Lucic and his play will never improve beyond what it has been so far this season so therefore the contract is an albatross.

A bit early for that position...dont you think?

I really think that he fits in well with Drai as his C. I suspect that his goalscoring should start to pick up if they keep them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad