Player Discussion Milan Lucic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I hope to see Lucic as a coach oneday. Chia stressed his knowledge of stats and the sport, then you hear his interviews and he knows more about stats, history and standings than most current players.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
This time of year is what he was signed for. Very happy with his play of late.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007

**** me that was a good interview. One of the best I've heard from a player in this organization over the past 10 years. I couldn't believe how he was banging off stats and years that guys he plays with had playoff runs.. that tells me he has researched guys he plays with and that he cares about that stuff. Really refreshing interview. I was already super happy with the signing but man.. didn't expect that side of it.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
**** me that was a good interview. One of the best I've heard from a player in this organization over the past 10 years. I couldn't believe how he was banging off stats and years that guys he plays with had playoff runs.. that tells me he has researched guys he plays with and that he cares about that stuff. Really refreshing interview. I was already super happy with the signing but man.. didn't expect that side of it.

It's almost like having an assistant-player coach.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Said at early on the season when everyone was railing on Lucic, that he was a vet, knows how to pace himself, and would show up more towards the end of the season. Glad to see I was right. Lucic has arrived!

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
He's having a fairly typical Milan Lucic season minus a bunch of PIM's, mostly because we are stacked with fighters and he doesn't always have to be the guy.

Although it does seem like he's cut down on the minor penalties and also the giveaways inside his blueline, I noticed lots of those last year watching him on LA.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's having a fairly typical Milan Lucic season minus a bunch of PIM's, mostly because we are stacked with fighters and he doesn't always have to be the guy.

Although it does seem like he's cut down on the minor penalties and also the giveaways inside his blueline, I noticed lots of those last year watching him on LA.

Wow he so we had inside his own blueline last year too? lol that's something I've noticed this year with him. He's been lucky it hasn't really turned too to many turnovers but yeh he seems to have trouble

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
he is now 4 points behind Hall. There are a number of ways that a player contributes to a winning team and scoring points is a big one, but not the only one.

Lucic brings leadership, physicality, and a 200 foot game that Hall has not yet developed. The only place where Hall outdoes him is in absolute points but even that is very close.

The oilers made the trade when Chia knew that Lucic was signing here so it is fair to compare the two players. IMO, Lucic has brought more to this team than Hall would have this year. Lucic for Hall would have been a short term upgrade if that was the trade. The fact that we got a 1st pairing RHD thrown in was a nice bonus.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
he is now 4 points behind Hall. There are a number of ways that a player contributes to a winning team and scoring points is a big one, but not the only one.

Lucic brings leadership, physicality, and a 200 foot game that Hall has not yet developed. The only place where Hall outdoes him is in absolute points but even that is very close.

The oilers made the trade when Chia knew that Lucic was signing here so it is fair to compare the two players. IMO, Lucic has brought more to this team than Hall would have this year. Lucic for Hall would have been a short term upgrade if that was the trade. The fact that we got a 1st pairing RHD thrown in was a nice bonus.

Lucic has also played 11 more games....might be important to add that when comparing stats.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Lucic has also played 11 more games....might be important to add that when comparing stats.

The odd injury that doesn't seem to be reoccurring I could see being used to defend a player.

But when it gets to the point where injuries become a naturally occurring situation that defense actually works against the player.

The way I look at it, with Hall only having 2 full seasons( last year and the shortened season he only missed 3 games) I would say your argument actually is a positive towards Lucic, who has amazingly with his style of play almost played every single game since the 2010 season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can someone tell me how he all of a sudden seems to be able to beat guys skating?

I've never doubted Lucic, but this extra gear seems like icing on the cake. Maybe he just can't do it for 82 games and the playoffs and was saving himself? He did say how he likes this time of year that every game has so much pressure.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Can someone tell me how he all of a sudden seems to be able to beat guys skating?

I've never doubted Lucic, but this extra gear seems like icing on the cake. Maybe he just can't do it for 82 games and the playoffs and was saving himself? He did say how he likes this time of year that every game has so much pressure.

I think something was wrong with his back. He has Scheuermanns disease which will probably end his career one day.

It's the only thing I can honestly point to. Lucic at the start of the season wasn't a player struggling to adjust to a new system. He was a player who was obviously playing absolutely horrible, a shell of his former self. If the effort was there I would probably pull the new team card, but it wasn't. Which is why I am leaning towards an injury.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think something was wrong with his back. He has Scheuermanns disease which will probably end his career one day.

It's the only thing I can honestly point to. Lucic at the start of the season wasn't a player struggling to adjust to a new system. He was a player who was obviously playing absolutely horrible, a shell of his former self. If the effort was there I would probably pull the new team card, but it wasn't. Which is why I am leaning towards an injury.

It could be, but at the same time he's played a lot of games like this over the past few seasons. Boston fans complained about his lack of drive the past couple regular seasons too.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I also loved the interview in general, but just to nitpick a bit I don't really find it that exceptional just knowing the guys you have spent the last 6 months playing with (i.e. their playoff experience). These guys spend a looooot of time together.

edit: oh, note that he listed mostly EC players, Larsson, Pouliot (who actually played with Lucic in Boston in the playoffs 11/12), Sekera (who was eliminated by Boston in 09/10) and Talbot.

Anyhow, who cares, but I sometimes feel as if we wrongly assume that players are not like other people. Everyone working close together get to know each other.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The odd injury that doesn't seem to be reoccurring I could see being used to defend a player.

But when it gets to the point where injuries become a naturally occurring situation that defense actually works against the player.

The way I look at it, with Hall only having 2 full seasons( last year and the shortened season he only missed 3 games) I would say your argument actually is a positive towards Lucic, who has amazingly with his style of play almost played every single game since the 2010 season.

Hall has always been a tough guy to figure out.

I see what you are saying, but Hall played 75 games in 2013-14. Is he injury prone? It's a little more complicated than you make it sound. He essentially played three full seasons out of his final four with the Oilers.

He does seem snake bit. NJ is 28th in the league. Imagine if they win the lottery? Being on teams with 5 first overalls in eight years (counting his own draft) would have to be a record.

All that being said, I think the Oilers have to be happy with Lucic as a replacement. Especially given his approach from that interview.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Hall has always been a tough guy to figure out.

I see what you are saying, but Hall played 75 games in 2013-14. Is he injury prone? It's a little more complicated than you make it sound. He essentially played three full seasons out of his final four with the Oilers.

He does seem snake bit. NJ is 28th in the league. Imagine if they win the lottery? Being on teams with 5 first overalls in eight years (counting his own draft) would have to be a record.

All that being said, I think the Oilers have to be happy with Lucic as a replacement. Especially given his approach from that interview.
I don't it's complicated at all. Is Hall injury prone? Yes. It's a simple answer to a clear cut simple question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille