Speculation: Mikko Rantanen Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The difference is the UFAs have leverage to go where they want after putting in the time and earning that right and earning that money by proving themselves

The RFAs haven't earned anything and don't have any rights or leverage. Rantanen can put himself above the team structure all he wants and can sit the season and lose out on 8 plus million and be in the same position next year.
You keep saying RFAs have no leverage.

Let me ask you: Do you think the very 1st offer Sakic offered is the only one he's made?

If yes.... then Sakic sucks as a GM.

If no... then Mikko must have had leverage to get Sakic to up his offer.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Point just screwed over Mikko, no doubt. Gotta think Sakic is the one salivating over the bridge contract now, not the other way around.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
This is incorrect. Barrie was not being pushed to a bottom-pairing role. Barrie was 2 seconds behind the team lead in TOI/GP in the regular season and was 5 minutes ahead of any Colorado D in the playoffs. Muzzin has always been a quality defensemen capable of effectively handling tough usage.

There is potential, but the Avalanche D is filled with a ton of question marks, at least in the roles they are expected to play.
avs d is not generational but it is not filled with question marks lol? it's got a pretty stable floor that it will be mediocre. they lost a top 4 guy who is being replaced with makar. those toi instances are inflated with injury and him playing entire power plays. like that is not an exaggeration, the first unit would continually play like 1:45 of the PP. that's actually the only question mark, barrie was really the only D who could lead a PP.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
those toi instances are inflated with injury and him playing entire power plays. like that is not an exaggeration, the first unit would continually play like 1:45 of the PP.
He led all Colorado D by over 2 minutes in ES TOI/GP in the playoffs too.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Point just screwed over Mikko, no doubt. Gotta think Sakic is the one salivating over the bridge contract now, not the other way around.

No way in hell should Sakic go for bridge with Mikko.

They have the cap space and should take advantage of it, and be laughing in few years once these bridges are over.

Reactions: skyo

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Would Colorado be as open to a 3 year bridge as Tampa though?

They would be looking at new deals for MacK, Landy, Kadri and Makar on the books in the same 1-2 offseasons.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

They would be looking at new deals for MacK, Landy, Kadri and Makar on the books in the same 1-2 offseasons.

I’d bet Sakic is pushing for 7-8 years pretty hard and willing to drop to 6. Mikko probably wants 4-5 years. My contract prediction would be 5 years 8.75 per or 6 at 9.25 per. Something like that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I don't think Kadri is getting another contract with the Avs. My bet is that Joe is hoping that Newhook or Bowers is ready to take over that spot; so he doesn't need to pay Kadri 9M a year into his 30s.

Reactions: Danvalanche

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
So what happens if Mikko sits out until November and some replacement guy puts up 1.3 ppg with Mckinnon and Landeskog? :sarcasm:

If I were Rantanen I would sign into 8.5m and get on board quickly!

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
He led all Colorado D by over 2 minutes in ES TOI/GP in the playoffs too.
Johnson was hurt , Timmins out with concussion symptoms and Makar fresh out of college. Barrie was no longer needed anymore and was about to be pushed to the bottom pairing. That's just the way it is. He was essentially traded, he's no longer on Colorado and was being traded regardless of where and it just so happens it was to Toronto. He was no longer going to be in Colorado.

For the record the Girard / Makar pairing is the #1 defacto now and was being groomed in the playoffs last year. The team has zero question marks about Makar. The d is deep and loaded with talent for the future.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Barrie was no longer needed anymore and was about to be pushed to the bottom pairing.
No matter how many times you say this, it's not true at all.
Was Colorado comfortable letting Barrie go to address other areas? Yes.
If Barrie was still there, would he be on the bottom pairing? Not a chance.

The team has zero question marks about Makar.
I think Colorado has a lot of potential on D, but thinking there are no question marks that come with a 20-year old with 10 NHL games being put in a top role is beyond delusional.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
So what happens if Mikko sits out until November and some replacement guy puts up 1.3 ppg with Mckinnon and Landeskog? :sarcasm:

If I were Rantanen I would sign into 8.5m and get on board quickly!
Or what happens if while Mikko is sitting out, MacKinnon and Landeskog after all regress to the 50-60 point pace players that they were before they had Rantanen in their line? :sarcasm:

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
This is actually the most probable out come. With out Rantanen Mackinnon is probably a 60-70 point player. And as talked in the Avs board Mack is already feeling the pressure. He has his fame to lose.

This is probably one of the more ridiculous things I've read on here. Have you seen MacKinnon play? 60-70?... Come on

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
This is probably one of the more ridiculous things I've read on here. Have you seen MacKinnon play? 60-70?... Come on
While I think the 60 end of that range is too low, have we seen MacKinnon put up more than 60 points as a center in the NHL without Rantanen on his wing? Personally, I put him in the 75-85 range without Mikko for an 82 game season, as getting Mikko was not the only switch that flipped. But we don't know for sure. Likelwise for Rants...my guess is that he is in the 65-80 range without stud center to play with.

Contract-wise, I am a fan of the $9.6M for 96 months deal. Not sure that gets it done, but it would be poetic.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan

I don't think so. Joe rather lock Rantanen in and not have to negotiate new contracts with Mikko and Mackinnon within a 2 year span.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
While I think the 60 end of that range is too low, have we seen MacKinnon put up more than 60 points as a center in the NHL without Rantanen on his wing? Personally, I put him in the 75-85 range without Mikko for an 82 game season, as getting Mikko was not the only switch that flipped. But we don't know for sure. Likelwise for Rants...my guess is that he is in the 65-80 range without stud center to play with.

Contract-wise, I am a fan of the $9.6M for 96 months deal. Not sure that gets it done, but it would be poetic.

Is landeskog and Barrie now just as worthy of mention in his recent rise? Mackinnon found another level playing with Mikko but it definitely doesn't just disappear if he isn't there. Foolish to think that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad