Speculation: Mikko Rantanen Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
LeBrun: Why term appears to be the major stumbling block in...

In this situation, I believe both sides are further away on term rather than dollars.
Which is a theme for many of these current RFA negotiations. Just like Carolina would have wanted Aho for eight years instead of the five years they will get after matching the offer sheet from Montreal, the same is true for many of these negotiations.
“I prefer longer myself,” Sakic said. “With our situation, we want to get Mikko done long term. More than the five years. We prefer long term and hopefully, we can work towards getting that accomplished that here.’’
On the flip side, again staying away from five years where the player walks himself into unrestricted free agency, the other solution is a shorter-term bridge deal which I think has also come up in talks between the Avs and Rantanen’s agent Mike Liut. My sense is that they’ve exchanged offers and counter-offers but nothing close at this point.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Wtf happened to wanting to represent the jersey you put on every night longterm. All these RFAs want 5 or less now with the same AAV as a long-term contract? Get bent.
5 year term for a player's first rfa deal has always been the most common .

After they put in the eight year limit you saw like 4 star rfas sign at the new eight year cap .

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Wtf happened to wanting to represent the jersey you put on every night longterm. All these RFAs want 5 or less now with the same AAV as a long-term contract? Get bent.
The NHL salary cap is expected to rise by a huge margin (read: their next contract would be worth a lot more) after the 2021-22 season, due to the new TV contract between NHL and the media. From what I've read, it's expected to be around 100 million instead of the current 81 million.

Reactions: Stubu

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

After they put in the eight year limit you saw like 4 star rfas sign at the new eight year cap .

My point is the AAV usually gets higher with term. Wanting a team to pay you 10+ but not giving them any extra years not only puts your team at a disadvantage with cap but they also have to make room to pay you again even sooner. That isn't how cup winning teams are made. I understand personal success is important in terms of finances but my god this is getting out of hand.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
The NHL salary cap is expected to rise by a huge margin (read: their next contract would be worth a lot more) after the 2021-22 season, due to the new TV contract between NHL and the media. From what I've read, it's expected to be around 100 million instead of the current 81 million.

It was also projected to go up this year. I'm certain it'll go up but basing negotiation off of projection is just crazy especially when the cap right now is 81 million and these guys for the most part all want 10+ million a year

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
No guarantees on that yet

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
My point is the AAV usually gets higher with term. Wanting a team to pay you 10+ but not giving them any extra years not only puts your team at a disadvantage with cap but they also have to make room to pay you again even sooner. That isn't how cup winning teams are made. I understand personal success is important in terms of finances but my god this is getting out of hand.
I guess but still if you look up all the star players coming off of their elcs after they put in the cap most were getting paid very fairly in cap percentage if they deserved it and only giving 5 or 6 years most of the time .

All the long term contracts either overpaid them for their worth at the time before they proved themselves or put them right near the top of the league for highest paid . So idk .

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Joe Sakic signed an offersheet with the rangers that paid him over 20 mill for one season and almost crippled the team financially and that was in 97

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
And Sakic earned it already played 9 stellar years and a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe

He also did several 1 year team friendly deals towards the end of his career
Like rantanans earned a really decent rfa contract TBH.

Without seeing numbers it's impossible who is being unreasonable tho or if both sides are just stuck on term like the aho camp was.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

Without seeing numbers it's impossible who is being unreasonable tho or if both sides are just stuck on term like the aho camp was.
Anything around Aho's would be ok both are better players than Marner but seeing the rumors on Marner are scary. Gotta factor in the dollar difference though and Carolina has no state income tax

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yeah so
Ething around Aho's would be ok both are better players than Marner but seeing the rumors on him are ridiculous. Gotta factor in the dollar difference though and Carolina has no state tax
Canes have a state tax . I don't think it's the highest or anything but they aren't Vegas or Florida.

But the aho deal was very cap hit friendly I'm sure Tampa Toronto and the aves gms would jump at signing their star rfa to that deal .

(Other than the oh no can't negotiate marner and Matthews Ufa deals at the same time thing )

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Canes have a state tax . I don't think it's the highest or anything but they aren't Vegas or Florida.

But the aho deal was very cap hit friendly I'm sure Tampa Toronto and the aves gms would jump at signing their star rfa to that deal .

(Other than the oh no can't negotiate marner and Matthews Ufa deals at the same time thing )
Yes my bad they eliminated progressive state income tax in 2014 whatever in the difference that would be for a millionaire :dunno: still some advantage however much lol .

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

Anything north of 9.5 for 5 years is being unreasonable. If rantanen wants 10 he should be reasonable and give 7

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How many teams sign a guy to a long term deal and then want to trade the guy? GMs and teams decide all the time to not want the player representing them and will get rid of them as soon as they feel it helps their own goal.

I don't find it bad when GMs act in their own best interest. I don't find it bad when players do either. I just never understand the people who pick and choose when loyalty applies.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

Yeah but what players? I got used to seeing longer deals. Have top players really signed that many five year deals after the ELC or a bridge?

[E: misunderstood the 8yr cap thingy. Silly comment deleted.]

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I hate the fact these guys are pushing for 5 years. That said i'm warming up to it. Alot of players are starting to just fade in their early thirties after a decent first 7-9 years in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->