Speculation: Mikko Rantanen Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LD29

Jan 19, 2019
This will be an ugly contract. He isn't half the player MacKinnon is and will probably earn almost two times more.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Is landeskog and Barrie now just as worthy of mention in his recent rise? Mackinnon found another level playing with Mikko but it definitely doesn't just disappear if he isn't there. Foolish to think that.
He was playing with Landy and TBoobs for years and it never really clicked until he had Mikko to gel with. And Barrie is gone. If Rants holds out, that means one of the three guys he produced so well with remains. Now I do not think his production will drop off a cliff. But if Rantanen is not there for him to either play with, or draw some defensive pressure, then his numbers will drop some. Not to the 60s, obviously. But I could see it possibly drop to under PPG. And I do not think Rants could be PPG without a stud center either....they need each other.

Yeah really he was out of this world in the playoffs.

So out of this world, he was oustscored by Rantanen, despite having more power play points (Rants had 7 of 14 as PPP, MacK was 8 of 13).

And I am not rying to diminish MacK at all....he is by far my favorite player active right now. But the way people have turned on Rantanen due to Sakic's determination to get the cheapest deal possible has forced me to defend the Av's second best player since Sakic himself retired.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
He was playing with Landy and TBoobs for years and it never really clicked until he had Mikko to gel with. And Barrie is gone. If Rants holds out, that means one of the three guys he produced so well with remains. Now I do not think his production will drop off a cliff. But if Rantanen is not there for him to either play with, or draw some defensive pressure, then his numbers will drop some. Not to the 60s, obviously. But I could see it possibly drop to under PPG. And I do not think Rants could be PPG without a stud center either....they need each other.

So out of this world, he was oustscored by Rantanen, despite having more power play points (Rants had 7 of 14 as PPP, MacK was 8 of 13).

And I am not rying to diminish MacK at all....he is by far my favorite player active right now. But the way people have turned on Rantanen due to Sakic's determination to get the cheapest deal possible has forced me to defend the Av's second best player since Sakic himself retired.

He was how old? Because he didn't score 80+ at 19, 20, 21? I thought this was alot more common sense. Guess people are quick to forget what Nate looked like in the playoffs lol. Top 3 player in the league, he's capable of putting up the same numbers without rantanen, it would just be more work on him.

Danvalanche

Feb 13, 2019
At this point they should just spend the extra and get it him signed. They are set to be contenders for the next 3 -4 years. I think the extra 500 to a million a year is worth it to be able to bring the cup back. Sure Sakic gives a bit but he’s a franchise player and you don’t go cheap on franchise players.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
This will be an ugly contract. He isn't half the player MacKinnon is and will probably earn almost two times more.
LOL ok. MacKinnon has arguably the best/worst contract in the league. Josi is the only other maybe. Rantanen isn't Mac, but he isn't far off either. Hes a superstar in his own right.

Reactions: MacBradley

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
LOL ok. MacKinnon has arguably the best/worst contract in the league. Josi is the only other maybe. Rantanen isn't Mac, but he isn't far off either. Hes a superstar in his own right.

With a superior CV at the time of signing, and add that this is going to be year 4 on Mack contract.

Mack contract means nothing with Mikko.

Reactions: yrttijorma

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
With Tkachuk's imminent signing (based on media reports), it leaves only three prominent unsigned RFAs, with two of them represented by the same agent (Liut).

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't see a bridge deal for Rantenen. Unlike those other teams Colorado actually has the cap space now for a long term deal.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Mack signed his deal after a few down years. He was still offered the 2nd highest, but only slightly less than Monahan (superior 3 years) from his draft year. So in comparison, Sakic overpaid for the potential that Mack could breakout.

Rants comparable, except Marner would be in the $8.5M-$9.5M range which is the rumoured salary offered. Giving him the same as Marner would only create problems in the future to extend their other players.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
If he doesn’t want 10x8 it makes me worry about the future, because it’ll be much harder to sign him as a UFA after a bridge

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Mack signed his deal after a few down years. He was still offered the 2nd highest, but only slightly less than Monahan (superior 3 years) from his draft year. So in comparison, Sakic overpaid for the potential that Mack could breakout.

Rants comparable, except Marner would be in the $8.5M-$9.5M range which is the rumoured salary offered. Giving him the same as Marner would only create problems in the future to extend their other players.
Exactly. There is only one Dubas in the league. Rantanen will get less than 9 million AAV on a 6-year deal.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Exactly. There is only one Dubas in the league. Rantanen will get less than 9 million AAV on a 6-year deal.

I believed they were very close at the rumoured amount, but wanted to wait for the stupidity of the Leafs. The holdout is for Marner money, I expect him to be sitting for sometime or traded.

Interestingly, the Leafs with contract holdout Nylander opened a tremendous opportunity for fringe prospect Kapanen. No only did he fill the opening, but played extremely well with better defence. Nylander has been dropped to the 3rd line and struggled as a 3C and/or RW.

AVs will plenty of time to work on various RW opportunities. If they find a replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if Rants is traded.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I believed they were very close at the rumoured amount, but wanted to wait for the stupidity of the Leafs. The holdout is for Marner money, I expect him to be sitting for sometime or traded.

Interestingly, the Leafs with contract holdout Nylander opened a tremendous opportunity for fringe prospect Kapanen. No only did he fill the opening, but played extremely well with better defence. Nylander has been dropped to the 3rd line and struggled as a 3C and/or RW.

AVs will plenty of time to work on various RW opportunities. If they find a replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if Rants is traded.
Pretty sure we already have our replacement with Burakovsky or Nichushkin. Sakic had planned that all along :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad