Prospect Info: Mikko Lehtonen

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Lehtonen will be a top 4 dman at some pt next season. This team is significantly improved to allow him 40 games to blend at 5/6. This guy can Excell in the NHL now we have the right mix to allow it.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’m excited to watch him play, but it’s not going to be easy to make the Leafs blueline this year! Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie are locks, but that leaves Lehtonen, Dermott, Holl, Bogo, Sandin and Liljegren fighting for the final 3 spots. Lehtonen is the biggest wildcard, he could be anywhere for our 4D to an AHLer. But best case:

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Lehtonen
Dermott - Holl

Which would leave Bogo, Sandin and Liljegren out. Bogo is big, physical, and one of our few actual righties, kinda hard to see him sitting, but ... somebody has to (when we’re fully healthy).

19Doaner

Oct 14, 2020
Seen around 80 games of Lehtonen playing in KHL the last two seasons. Around 30 in the stands.

He's a great offensive d-man. He's a explosive skater with the puck and excels on powerplay. His atributes and skills are like made for a star scoring role in KHL. Sees the offensive game very well and supports the rush often with right decisions in positioning. A consistent performer.

But, an average defensive player. Not that physical. I think he is sometimes quite easy to take him off his game with hitting and taking his time with the puck to the minimum. Against elite teams in KHL Lehtonen has not always, but often gone completely off the picture.

I really can see him translating his game into NHL. Can also see weaknesses in defensive game being something to worry about. I hope he makes it!

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Seen around 80 games of Lehtonen playing in KHL the last two seasons. Around 30 in the stands.

He's a great offensive d-man. He's a explosive skater with the puck and excels on powerplay. His atributes and skills are like made for a star scoring role in KHL. Sees the offensive game very well and supports the rush often with right decisions in positioning. A consistent performer.

But, an average defensive player. Not that physical. I think he is sometimes quite easy to take him off his game with hitting and taking his time with the puck to the minimum. Against elite teams in KHL Lehtonen has not always, but often gone completely off the picture.

I really can see him translating his game into NHL. Can also see weaknesses in defensive game being something to worry about. I hope he makes it!
Actually sounds like he could benefit from playing with Muzzin, if hes able to adapt to the right side. Muzzin is already more physical than most players in the KHL and is a very good defensive player which could benefit Lehtonen if hes able to claim that roll. Should be a very interesting camp, he has a lot of pro competition.

Reactions: barriers

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Cor, my man, you're late.

tenor.gif

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Certainly performed extremely well in the KHL. We'll se how he translates but I'm optomistic.

Reactions: IPS

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Unfortunate for his training and fitness, that they've shutdown. Hopefully we can get a season in, or a part of one here. Weird times.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Unfortunate for his training and fitness, that they've shutdown. Hopefully we can get a season in, or a part of one here. Weird times.
They played yesterday. He's released from Jokerit so he can come to Toronto for training camp which may or may not start in the near future.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
They played yesterday. He's released from Jokerit so he can come to Toronto for training camp which may or may not start in the near future.

I don't know how the rules are looking in Canada, but will he need to isolate first? I guess that could be part of his thinking, can be a few weeks ahead of the game?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I don't know how the rules are looking in Canada, but will he need to isolate first? I guess that could be part of his thinking, can be a few weeks ahead of the game?
"The Government of Canada has put in place emergency measures to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19 in Canada. You must quarantine for 14 days, provide contact information and monitor yourself for symptoms subject to any Order made under the Quarantine Act imposing isolation or quarantine requirements upon entry."
For travellers without symptoms of COVID-19 returning to Canada - Canada.ca

Last edited:
Reactions: GBLeaf

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That would be my assumption. Wants to get to Canada early and do his two week isolation so that he isn't behind the 8 ball if this whole thing turns around quick into training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad