Prospect Info: Mikko Lehtonen

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
We don't have a player thread any more since the signing thread got closed.

Mikko is absolutely tearing it up in the KHL for Jokerit

Statline is 14 Gp 8 G 8 A 16 pts

That is over PPG as a D man.

Currently leading all D men in scoring by 3 points in less games played.

I think we have a real prime prospect in our system.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Barely 6'0 though

giphy.gif

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I think a great thing about him is his ability to keep plays alive in the offensive zone on the blue line. Imagine having another year of plays that die on Marincin's stick.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
We don't have a player thread any more since the signing thread got closed.

Mikko is absolutely tearing it up in the KHL for Jokerit

Statline is 14 Gp 8 G 8 A 16 pts

That is over PPG as a D man.

Currently leading all D men in scoring by 3 points in less games played.

I think we have a real prime prospect in our system.

Not sure the OP needs the prospect tag, as Lehtonen will turn 27 at seasons start.

Very intriguing player though. Will be interesting to see how his skill set transitions to NHL play.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Biggest wildcard in our organization.

If he transitions well to the NHL game, he's got the skillset to be an impact player.

Rielly/Muzzin/Brodie/Lehtonen would give you 4 really good D.

I think hes a great gamble to have. Either they team gets a top for guy on a bargain deal or a serviceable 5-7 guy

Reactions: weems

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s a lefty, but apparently plays a tonne of the right side (like Brodie). Will be very interesting to see who makes the team at RD. LD is almost a lock to be Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott, though possibly Sandin supplants Dermott. But at RD, the only lock is Brodie - Holl/Bogosian/Lehtonen will be in a real battle for the last 2 spots.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He’s a lefty, but apparently plays a tonne of the right side (like Brodie). Will be very interesting to see who makes the team at RD. LD is almost a lock to be Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott, though possibly Sandin supplants Dermott. But at RD, the only lock is Brodie - Holl/Bogosian/Lehtonen will be in a real battle for the last 2 spots.

LD is only a lock for Reilly and Muzzin IMO

3rd spot is
between Lehtonen, Dermott, and Sandin as a darkhorse

There has been much chatter that Dermott will be a right side option

Reactions: ponder

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The upside with him being older is that he very likely should be NHL ready from the start. The pending UFA status just becomes a bit challenging for the team if his game does successfully translate. All things considered though, this definitely seems like a chance worth taking.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Sucks that's he's going to be UFA at the end of his rookie season. Would have been good to perhaps be able to sign him as an RFA assuming he has a solid season.
If he has a solid season we would have to make some serious moves to keep him. If he put say 35ish points on the right side we would need to pay him 4-5 on a long deal and expansion draft wise we either move muzzin/Brodie (which would look a bit bad in terms of dealing recently signed guys at the beginning of their deals) or lose a guy like mikeyev to Seattle.

Lethenon is potentially in a sense a major Trade deadline addition most teams would make. We will get him for full year instead of 20 games but if he hits it at the nhl level and is a 30-40 point guy he would basically be a guy we would potentially look to add for a cup run. I hope leafs are looking to just have this guy he fed offensive chances and have his play be maximized for this year.

Realistically he wont be a leaf past this year and we just need to make sure he can play his best so he helps the leafs win and can get himself a big payday as a UFA

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Wonder how the d corp shapes out.

Rielly- Brodie
Muzzin- Dermott
Lehtonen-Holl
Bogosian?

I think Dermott should be on that 2nd pairing if hes comfortable. Holl is still a solid dman as well imo, could be on 2nd pair too.

Reactions: 67Leafs67

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Realistically he wont be a leaf past this year and we just need to make sure he can play his best so he helps the leafs win and can get himself a big payday as a UFA

Not really. He chose to sign in Toronto in the first place; it's not so outlandish to think he'd sign with the Leafs for his next contract. But of course this all depends on the season he has

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Not really. He chose to sign in Toronto in the first place; it's not so outlandish to think he'd sign with the Leafs for his next contract. But of course this all depends on the season he has
If he has a bad season, leafs wont want him back. If he has a good season, he likely prices himself out.

Wouldnt be surprising if he isnt back.

Reactions: qqaz

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Wonder how the d corp shapes out.

Rielly- Brodie
Muzzin- Dermott
Lehtonen-Holl
Bogosian?

I think Dermott should be on that 2nd pairing if hes comfortable. Holl is still a solid dman as well imo, could be on 2nd pair too.

Why so many you Leafs fans are putting Lehtonen to 3rd pair??? I don't get it.
Lehtonen is going to be either your 1st pair or your 2nd pair d-man.
#1 #2 or #3 d-man.

He just is that good.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
LD is only a lock for Reilly and Muzzin IMO

3rd spot is
between Lehtonen, Dermott, and Sandin as a darkhorse

There has been much chatter that Dermott will be a right side option
Yeah, that’s a reasonable take. It’s probably fair to say that Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie are the only locks, period. Holl, Dermott, Bogosian, Lehtonen and Sandin fighting for the remaining 3 spots. Some would say Liljegren too, but I think he’s quite a long shot.

Best D depth we’ve had in ages.

Reactions: The Iceman and qqaz

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
#1 #2 or #3 d-man.

He just is that good.

To be fair, he has no chance of pushing Rielly or Muzzin to the bottom pairing this season.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
#1 #2 or #3 d-man.

He just is that good.

He’ll be on the 3rd pair at least to start. But I have a feeling he’ll move into the second pairing with Muzzin real quickly. He’s able to play on the right side. He’s real good and unfortunately we probably won’t be able to re-sign him in the off-season.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
You don't play the minutes Bogo just played and expect him to be in the press box. He will atleast play 3rd pair.

Until Lehton plays a game in the NHL it's not a given he will be a top 4. He has to steal minutes from Dermott and Holl first.

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian

This is the start, but it could change in a hurry depending on how hot Sandin Liljegren and Lehtonen come in.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad