Prospect Info: Mikko Lehtonen

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They played yesterday. He's released from Jokerit so he can come to Toronto for training camp which may or may not start in the near future.

No, they've shut down home games... had they been allowed to continue to play home games, he probably would have stayed longer, and played more there.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Any reason for this?

Yes, per my above post, Helinski has put in place "lockdown" rules, meaning Jokerit cannot play home games, or even have full home practices. Maximum 20 people...

This really doesn't have much to do, with the NHL getting ready, or any timetable.... It's just Jokerit can't play, or practice at home, so might as well make the move, that was coming in the next few weeks anyway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, per my above post, Helinski has put in place "lockdown" rules, meaning Jokerit cannot play home games, or even have full home practices. Maximum 20 people...

This really doesn't have much to do, with the NHL getting ready, or any timetable.... It's just Jokerit can't play, or practice at home, so might as well make the move, that was coming in the next few weeks anyway.
Thank you.

Reactions: taurine330

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Seen around 80 games of Lehtonen playing in KHL the last two seasons. Around 30 in the stands.

He's a great offensive d-man. He's a explosive skater with the puck and excels on powerplay. His atributes and skills are like made for a star scoring role in KHL. Sees the offensive game very well and supports the rush often with right decisions in positioning. A consistent performer.

But, an average defensive player. Not that physical. I think he is sometimes quite easy to take him off his game with hitting and taking his time with the puck to the minimum. Against elite teams in KHL Lehtonen has not always, but often gone completely off the picture.

I really can see him translating his game into NHL. Can also see weaknesses in defensive game being something to worry about. I hope he makes it!
Tyson Barrie 2.0????

I sure as hell hope not.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
He will be in much better game shape then the rest of the guys at training camp.

Reminds me a bit of the lockout season, where Leafs used a lot of AHL'ers at the start of the season and made a great start and ended up making the play-offs. Lots of players played that season who weren't quite full-time NHL players, but had a real advantage coming into the start of the season.

The guys coming over from seasons already underway should be leaned upon early on in the season.

Reactions: The Missing Piece

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Tyson Barrie 2.0????

I sure as hell hope not.

I did not like the trade at all or particularly like Barrie but I need to give him some credit. He ran a very successful PP and was available every night. I fully expect him to return to a high 50s points pace next year with Edmonton and regain some value on his FA market next year.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I did not like the trade at all or particularly like Barrie but I need to give him some credit. He ran a very successful PP and was available every night. I fully expect him to return to a high 50s points pace next year with Edmonton and regain some value on his FA market next year.

everytime barrie touched the puck in our end last year, i was scared as hell and i thought that was only possible with marincin

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Seen around 80 games of Lehtonen playing in KHL the last two seasons. Around 30 in the stands.

He's a great offensive d-man. He's a explosive skater with the puck and excels on powerplay. His atributes and skills are like made for a star scoring role in KHL. Sees the offensive game very well and supports the rush often with right decisions in positioning. A consistent performer.

But, an average defensive player. Not that physical. I think he is sometimes quite easy to take him off his game with hitting and taking his time with the puck to the minimum. Against elite teams in KHL Lehtonen has not always, but often gone completely off the picture.

I really can see him translating his game into NHL. Can also see weaknesses in defensive game being something to worry about. I hope he makes it!
Doesn't really sound like what we need.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
No, they've shut down home games... had they been allowed to continue to play home games, he probably would have stayed longer, and played more there.

When I first read this I had a WTF moment. Yelled out loud haha. I thought at first it said he has mutually terminated his contract with the leafs lol

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Wh, I think every unit could use a puck mover. If Brodie and Hall take care of the top two units on the right side, the 3rd pairing will need that type of guy.

If he can be average defensively and above average with thr puck, that has value. Its not as ifnhes expected to be a top pairing guy here

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

We've added some guys to help out defensively so we can carry an offensively minded puck mover that can QB our 2nd PP unit

He shouldn't need to do much of the heavy lifting with Muzzin, Brodie, Rielly, Holl, Dermott and Bogo on the team

Reactions: Menzinger

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Except for the most important game of the playoffs when he bailed on the team because he couldn't take a hit.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Barrie's main problem was his decision making, same as Gardiner. Doesn't matter if you can skate the puck into the opponent's zone if you find yourself alone in their corner every time. That, and he had some of the worst blueline fumbles I've seen, we lost too many possessions off long cycles because of that. Ignoring his defensive game, he was very inconsistent in the offensive zone. The only part he was truly good at consistently was the transition.

If Lehtonen's decision making and poise are better than Barrie's, you'll see how much of a difference those two make with an offensive D.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Just came in to correct some misbeliefs in here.

I don’t think the Covid rerstictions in Finland have anything to do with Lehtonen’s departure from Jokerit. Jokerit is still allowed to play home games. Finland’s actions to shut down sports leagues only affects amateur leagues. Only 20 people are allowed to attend professional sports events, however.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just came in to correct some misbeliefs in here.

I don’t think the Covid rerstictions in Finland have anything to do with Lehtonen’s departure from Jokerit. Jokerit is still allowed to play home games. Finland’s actions to shut down sports leagues only affects amateur leagues. Only 20 people are allowed to attend professional sports events, however.

And to clarify more, the restrictions only apply to Helsinki area. Not other cities. HIFK postponed their two home games from this window to a later date. Jokerit will play their two home games without fans.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I thought he was fine ... did nothing great but did not hurt team either ... but he got sent back to taxi squad today as team did some CAP maneuvering

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Really surprised he got sent down again. Is that really the best scenario for him considering he is not your typical rookie?

Did they send him down? I would assume it could also be a cap space saving move. He looked pretty solid in very limited minutes. Looked dynamic with the puck on a few touches. Wish they would use him more to get more of a feeling for what he can do. He’s a UFA again at the end of the season so you want to know what you have and also show some good faith in giving him an opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad