Prospect Info: Mikko Lehtonen

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Why so many you Leafs fans are putting Lehtonen to 3rd pair??? I don't get it.
Lehtonen is going to be either your 1st pair or your 2nd pair d-man.
#1 #2 or #3 d-man.

He just is that good.

Which of Muzzin or Reilly do you think he's better than? Or do you think he'll switch to the right?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It's always a coin flip for this type of signing. Fortunately there are alternatives in the event he is unable to contribute. I don't care what the current stats are, the demands of the NA game are different and can expose less obvious weaknesses.

Reactions: nuck and TopCheese

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
My guess

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Lehtonen
Dermott-Bogosian/Holl

As for him going straight from an ELC to UFA, I think that's a big part of the reason he chose Toronto. He picked an offense-minded team in need of cheap players in part to inflate his own point totals and capitalise on his 2nd NHL contract, which will likely be elsewhere should he succeed.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
#1 #2 or #3 d-man.

He just is that good.
Undrafted UFA usurps established Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie and Dermott at 27. Sure, maybe he turns out well, but you'd be insane to put him above those 4 right now. He hasn't played an NHL game.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
#1 #2 or #3 d-man.

He just is that good.
1st pair off the bat? Lol nah, 2nd maybe, he's gotta earn that 1st spot. Plus you can't just claim him to be "that good" as he hasn't played at this level yet.

Last edited:

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Yea good point and Left handed to boot. Not even sure why we bothered with this guy
Not sure who or what you are quoting cause they must be on ignore for me, but pretty unfortunate that it only took post #2 to have what apparently seems like someone shitting on the player. Especially after the OP was a standard post, nothing outlandish or a major hot take.

But am I surprised? Not at all. Sigh.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Not sure who or what you are quoting cause they must be on ignore for me, but pretty unfortunate that it only took post #2 to have what apparently seems like someone shitting on the player. Especially after the OP was a standard post, nothing outlandish or a major hot take.

But am I surprised? Not at all. Sigh.

It was a sarcastic comment about him barely being 6'0, not meant to bash the player. Let's all take a deep breath.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
...people talk about his offensive abilities can anyone give a good breakdown on his Defensive skills?

Reactions: smitty10

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Let the guy transition to the league as a third pair D on his strong side. BOGO would be a great partner for him.

If he shows he can handle extra minutes, and maybe the right side, move him up.
But I think at least out of camp Keefe will want Muzz with a reliable defensive partner for potential tough match ups.

Reactions: barriers

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
#1 #2 or #3 d-man.

He just is that good.
I like your optimism, but we have no idea how his game will translate to the NHL. Hoping for the best

Reactions: nuck

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
#1 #2 or #3 d-man.

He just is that good.

Imagine there'll be a bit of a learning curve with new teammates, smaller rink, etc. Nothing wrong with starting on the 3rd pair and working your way into more ice time. When the Devils brought in a 26 year old Brian Rafalski in 1999, he had to start off on the third pair but worked his way up to play with Scott Stevens while also supplanting Scott Niedermayer on the 1st PP unit.

// if Lehtonen is anything close to Rafalski, my fantasy team would be grateful

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
#1 #2 or #3 d-man.

He just is that good.

I havent really seen him play so I have my doubts but just imagine he's actually that good and for once we got a player of that caliber like that after failing so much at undrafted europeans signings. Mikheyev was really good too, at least pre-injury.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Imagine there'll be a bit of a learning curve with new teammates, smaller rink, etc. Nothing wrong with starting on the 3rd pair and working your way into more ice time. When the Devils brought in a 26 year old Brian Rafalski in 1999, he had to start off on the third pair but worked his way up to play with Scott Stevens while also supplanting Scott Niedermayer on the 1st PP unit.

// if Lehtonen is anything close to Rafalski, my fantasy team would be grateful

Rafalski you say. Yes, please :thumbu:

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I have watched him play a few KHL games this year and he looks like a very smart player. Not really dynamic, more so making the correct smart play. Responsible in his own end and quite good at extending O zone possessions while walking the blue line. Real heavy shot, which we dearly need on the op, and a pretty good skater.

He is definitely one of the top 3-5 defenders in the KHL, and his game does look like it is suited to translate well... but how many times have we seen this scenario in years passed. I’m hoping he can be an outlier and come in and give our blue-line that last productive piece we need.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
As far as I'm concerned the AHL is better than the KHL so getting a bunch of points there means nothing to me.

Most late addition by age dudes that come over from Europe are not particularly successful.

I like the signing though as it's worth the risk.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Undrafted UFA usurps established Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie and Dermott at 27. Sure, maybe he turns out well, but you'd be insane to put him above those 4 right now. He hasn't played an NHL game.

What's so special about Dermott?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If he is as good as advertised, he’ll start getting more ice time after showing it. It didn’t take long for Mikheyev to prove his place as a middle sixer. It’ll be the same for Lehtonen if he’s the real deal. I see him pairing with Muzzin eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad