Prospect Info: Mikko Lehtonen

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I wonder if Lehtonen will be someone that Dubas does a Leivo-style solid for and deals him to a team that will let him play. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to have him if we need him, but also don't want future udfa's to think twice about signing here.
I don't think they will in a year like this. He's our #7 guy and depth is already proving to be a huge asset up front. No way he weakens the defensive depth going into this postseason. Leafs are legit contenders. If someone gets injured we need a player who can step in and not look to out of place.

Only way we trade him is if we get a piece coming the other way who can play.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't think they will in a year like this. He's our #7 guy and depth is already proving to be a huge asset up front. No way he weakens the defensive depth going into this postseason. Leafs are legit contenders. If someone gets injured we need a player who can step in and not look to out of place.

Only way we trade him is if we get a piece coming the other way who can play.
I think we may be picking our poison, we definitely don't want to cut ourselves off from the udfa market

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think we may be picking our poison, we definitely don't want to cut ourselves off from the udfa market
I don't think so. Guys come here and are given an opportunity. Barabanov and Lehtonen have both had an opportunity to play. Neither have been demoted and we'll see more ice for both of them before the end of the year. Let's not forget they get to use the Leafs world class facilities, staff and all the perks that come with signing here.

Ozhiganov came and played about 50% of the season. Mikheyev and Zaitsev have both been able to establish NHL careers. These guys will continue to be used as an example of what the Leafs can do.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't think so. Guys come here and are given an opportunity. Barabanov and Lehtonen have both had an opportunity to play. Neither have been demoted and we'll see more ice for both of them before the end of the year. Let's not forget they get to use the Leafs world class facilities, staff and all the perks that come with signing here.

Ozhiganov came and played about 50% of the season. Mikheyev and Zaitsev have both been able to establish NHL careers. These guys will continue to be used as an example of what the Leafs can do.
I think there's a demand scale at play though, like Lehtonen was fairly in demand and Barabanov less so. It's the top end ones we really don't want to miss out on. I would say the same dynamic was at play with Zaitsev having a lot more NHL options than Ozhiganov.

I also dont know if one guy will blackball us from that market, just don't want the next panarin to have any pause that he won't get an opportunity here.

Reactions: smitty10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad