Prospect Info: Mikko Lehtonen

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
he's been an elite bottom pairing dman for a couple of years, had a stretch last year as the team's #1 defenseman where he was very good while dragging around a partner that wasn't at the time (Holl). He's certainly a more known quantity than Lehtonen

Known to whom?

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
To anyone that doesn't have a crystal ball, it is more known today that Travis Dermott is a capable NHL defender than if Mikko Lehtonen is, full stop.

Both have had different trajectories due to their location but Lehtonen is coming in older with a ton of pro hockey experience.

I would say his offensive tool box is much better as well.

But thats why we have a training camp.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Both have had different trajectories due to their location but Lehtonen is coming in older with a ton of pro hockey experience.

I would say his offensive tool box is much better as well.

But thats why we have a training camp.
that may be true, what I'm saying is that Lehtonen's fit as an NHL defender is entirely projection. I certainly hope that he turns out as an impact player too, but there's been lots of impact olympic ice defenders that don't transition well to the NHL and flunk out. We know Dermott can play, we really hope that Lehtonen can make Dermott disposable but we're just hoping until we see it, which is why Dermott probably slots in above for now.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
Last year Mikko had the most points in the KHL as a defenseman. The second most points by a d man was Slava Voynov who is a known top 4 nhl d man but isn't in the league due to his other issues. So it is certainly promising that his skillset will translate to a valuable NHL d man.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
that may be true, what I'm saying is that Lehtonen's fit as an NHL defender is entirely projection. I certainly hope that he turns out as an impact player too, but there's been lots of impact olympic ice defenders that don't transition well to the NHL and flunk out. We know Dermott can play, we really hope that Lehtonen can make Dermott disposable but we're just hoping until we see it, which is why Dermott probably slots in above for now.
Exactly this..... /\

Most recently, we brought over Kivalhme (sp?) and he's nowhere to be found. The Ozhiganov experiment also failed. They were expected to be good players but didn't pan out in the NHL. I certainly hope that Lehtonen is everything that he's advertised to be for the team's sake and ours...

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Exactly this..... /\

Most recently, we brought over Kivalhme (sp?) and he's nowhere to be found. The Ozhiganov experiment also failed. They were expected to be good players but didn't pan out in the NHL. I certainly hope that Lehtonen is everything that he's advertised to be for the team's sake and ours...

Compare the pedigree of Lehtonen and Kivalhme and Oz.

This is apples and oranges.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Exactly this..... /\

Ozhiganov was never anything special.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Lehtonen is probably the best KHL D-man to come over to the NHL, without being drafted first. Comparing him to Kivihalme, Oz, Zaitsev, certainly is pointless, as none were near as good, or as heavily recruited. He was heavily recruited, and we were very lucky to get him. There is little wonder, as to why some fans, are so excited about his potential. Heck, I'm excited about his potential..

But.... and it's a big one....

He's never played in the NHL, nor on the small ice, so we really have no idea at all, how he will translate, to a faster, harder game. His NHL game is an unknown, so it isn't unreasonable to say so. But, the same could have been said about Matthews, Marner etc... and every other prospect too. There are very valid reasons to be excited about him, and very valid reasons to also be cautious in projecting what he will become.

But, we won out over other teams, to bring in the best Defender, outside the NHL, without a draft pick, or any cost in a trade... and that's pretty good.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Lehtonen is probably the best KHL D-man to come over to the NHL, without being drafted first. Comparing him to Kivihalme, Oz, Zaitsev, certainly is pointless, as none were near as good, or as heavily recruited. He was heavily recruited, and we were very lucky to get him. There is little wonder, as to why some fans, are so excited about his potential. Heck, I'm excited about his potential..

He's never played in the NHL, nor on the small ice, so we really have no idea at all, how he will translate, to a faster, harder game. His NHL game is an unknown, so it isn't unreasonable to say so. But, the same could have been said about Matthews, Marner etc... and every other prospect too. There are very valid reasons to be excited about him, and very valid reasons to also be cautious in projecting what he will become.

But, we won out over other teams, to bring in the best Defender, outside the NHL, without a draft pick, or any cost in a trade... and that's pretty good.
Shrinking ice pads: how KHL teams are moving to smaller rinks kind of overblown with surfaces shrinking there. No.... it’s already very close in arenas there 17 of 21 teams are only 6 feet wider. We would have to crunch out and see if he is dominating on the largest surfaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fogelhund

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
What I hate is that if he’s good we’d lose him with how our cap is next summer. So he’d be here like half a year or whatever this season ends up being

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
What I hate is that if he’s good we’d lose him with how our cap is next summer. So he’d be here like half a year or whatever this season ends up being

I mean we probably can't give him the Zaitsev contract, but we can probably find a way to sign him if he does well. Depending on how Kerfoot does, trading him is an option. Holl could also be an option, with one of Sandin or Liljegren coming up full time. All that is obviously conditional but I wouldn't put your farewell card in the mail yet.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I mean we probably can't give him the Zaitsev contract, but we can probably find a way to sign him if he does well. Depending on how Kerfoot does, trading him is an option. Holl could also be an option, with one of Sandin or Liljegren coming up full time. All that is obviously conditional but I wouldn't put your farewell card in the mail yet.

Kerfoot going out means he’ll need to be replaced by a 3C. None in the system so either another veteran torontonian for 800K or he needs to be replaced by a pretty equal contract. If not it’ll be a huge downgrade.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Kerfoot going out means he’ll need to be replaced by a 3C. None in the system so either another veteran torontonian for 800K or he needs to be replaced by a pretty equal contract. If not it’ll be a huge downgrade.

i don’t think nylander there would be out of the question. But if lehtonen plays like a top4 D then we’re net positive getting him signed.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
i don’t think nylander there would be out of the question. But if lehtonen plays like a top4 D then we’re net positive getting him signed.

Nylander traded you mean? Or Nylander playing 3C? Either way I don’t see it.

Dubas said Nylander won’t be traded.

moving him to 3C is not realistic. Not a good center for now anyways. Taking him away from one of Tavares or Matthew’s makes the top 6 weaker.

These 800K plug ins likely will come to an end eventually anyways. Not a model for success and we had luck with Spezza. I don’t see every 800K being a Spezza or Ennis. Well get some real duds too. Simmonds is great but his last 3 stops have shown he’s pretty washed up for example.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

Zaitsev was pretty highly regarded before coming over. If lehtonen turns out as good or better then him I’d be pretty happy. Only real problem with zaitsev was his contract.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Zaitsev was pretty highly regarded before coming over. If lehtonen turns out as good or better then him I’d be pretty happy. Only real problem with zaitsev was his contract.

Zaitsev was well thought of, no question there. He wasn't close to being regarded as high as Lehtonen, had nowhere near the accolades, awards or much of anything... it's another level.

Zaitsev had 95 points in the KHL... Lehtonen only has 65... but then again, Zaitsev played 317 games, and Lehtonen only 74. Zaitsev played well... Lehtonen completely controls the games in the KHL.. it's not even comparable.

Of course, that's the KHL.. not the NHL, but we shall soon see.

2019-2020
It's not close.

Reactions: qqaz and Jeypic

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Does anyone know why he hasn't been playing for Jokerit of late? Is he injured? Or being saved from potential injury?

Was on a great roll w/ 16 points in 14 games, still leading KHL Defencemen in points despite 6-8 fewer games played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad