Prospect Info: Mikko Lehtonen

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The downside to having depth on D for thr bottom few positions is that its been hard to have enough icetime.

Id like to see him get more opportunities before rendering any sort of judgment

Reactions: Ciao

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They need to give Barabanov and Lehtonen legit shots with more responsibility.

Agreed. For an organization that's been able to lure free agents over from the KHL, you really want to be able to point to success stories to keep that pipeline going. Also, I wouldn't want to under utilize these guys, let them walk in free agency and then only realize later that we scouted, signed, and brought over an impact player for some other lucky team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can't say that he's shown me anything yet, but he's had very little chance to, of course.

Handles the puck very cleanly and calmly, moves with good agility, and nothing happened with him out there, good or bad. He should get a normal look. It's not like he's a Martin Marincin with obvious skill limitations they're trying to get something specific out of.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
I think he at least deserves a full game with full minutes. Not these measly 6-8 minutes a game through 10 shifts.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
There isn't enough puck to go around!!! Not with Rielly logging 28 min a night. I don't like to see him with 25 plus min a night. He will not only burn out, become susceptible to injury but he isn't very good in his own end. Relying on him too much has me questioning Keefe's fears with the rest of the group.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There isn't enough puck to go around!!! Not with Rielly logging 28 min a night. I don't like to see him with 25 plus min a night. He will not only burn out, become susceptible to injury but he isn't very good in his own end. Relying on him too much has me questioning Keefe's fears with the rest of the group.

Another reason to not play Rielly 28 minutes a night is because he's not giving you Ray Bourque quality you can't leave on the bench...

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I suspect that the coach would rather put him in when the game isn't on the line.

The close scores since he was called up hasn't afforded that opportunity yet.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Another reason to not play Rielly 28 minutes a night is because he's not giving you Ray Bourque quality you can't leave on the bench...
100% . He skates all over the place but not very productive in the end. Decent offensively and controls play by holding the puck but he isn't the brightest (hockey IQ).

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
A few posts ago, someone mentioned he would be great at PP1 and i really support the idea. To me he looks like a player who relies on his ability to read plays and quickly make decisions. he would thrive on PP1.

Hopefully we see him playing more with more games.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
A couple games with minimal ice-time and back to the taxi squad. Its clear the management dont have too much confidence in his game. As he likely isnt optimal as a 7th d or 3rd pairing with ver low minutes, better for both parties to ship him back to Europe.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
the only reason lehtonen cant play is because we are screwed with the cap and cant have a 7th dman on the roster. we have 6 on non waiver D on the roster so the only way way for him to get any action is to have a 11F 7D lineup or have an injury ... which is never ideal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
the only reason lehtonen cant play is because we are screwed with the cap and cant have a 7th dman on the roster. we have 6 on non waiver D on the roster so the only way way for him to get any action is to have a 11F 7D lineup or have an injury ... which is never ideal

Maybe it's time to get him some reps on the wing... I feel like we are missing an opportunity to evaluate this asset.

That Jack Han piece was talking about unconventional deployment of Dmen. With someone who appears to have a decent skillset we could throw him out there to get some reps on the ice.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We'll see him getting reps soon. I think the rotation of players will start happening and injuries are bound to pop up.

I do think the Leafs will tell him to be patient and eventually a spot will open for him to take over a spot more permanently if he earns it.

I do feel like Dermott is close to the point where the Leafs might need to move him to open a spot for Lehtonen (and Sandin).

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Maybe it's time to get him some reps on the wing... I feel like we are missing an opportunity to evaluate this asset.

That Jack Han piece was talking about unconventional deployment of Dmen. With someone who appears to have a decent skillset we could throw him out there to get some reps on the ice.

its not a bad idea... frankly our 4th line plays 5 min a game.
and he has a cannon of a shot, so winding it up 8 feet closer should be fun.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't really understand what we're doing with him, Sandin, and Barabanov. Keefe seems gun-shy about taking anything close to a little risk after the Columbus series. I get that adding vets seems to have calmed the team down, but you don't need to feed them minutes this early. If we were neck and neck for the last playoff spot down the stretch I'd understand it, but this is the best time to see what we have with those 3 without putting the season in danger.

Maybe they want to have the vets set the tone early to have the core get used to it and get bolder with roster choices once it's set.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't really understand what we're doing with him, Sandin, and Barabanov. Keefe seems gun-shy about taking anything close to a little risk after the Columbus series. I get that adding vets seems to have calmed the team down, but you don't need to feed them minutes this early. If we were neck and neck for the last playoff spot down the stretch I'd understand it, but this is the best time to see what we have with those 3 without putting the season in danger.

As Keefe becomes more entrenched in his role as coach he does seem to be finding his own favourites and not so favourite options. Not always rooted in rationality either.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
As Keefe becomes more entrenched in his role as coach he does seem to be finding his own favourites and not so favourite options. Not always rooted in rationality either.

It's a shame, you'd think he would learn from Babcock's mistakes. The talking heads stirring up "Dubas/Keefe on the hotseat?" controversies might be a bigger problem than I hoped, you never want to see guys playing it safe to avoid giving them ammo.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So how has Lehtonen lookekd as of late? He seems to be in the starting 6 tonight as well.

I thought he looked very credible as an offensive defenseman in the Calgary game, but was surprised to hear the radio pundits say he had heavy feet and didn't look like he fit. He handled the puck cleanly, looked mobile and walked the line on the PP and looked like he was capable of QB duties and maybe got his shot off a couple of times, hesitated once.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I thought he looked very credible as an offensive defenseman in the Calgary game, but was surprised to hear the radio pundits say he had heavy feet and didn't look like he fit. He handled the puck cleanly, looked mobile and walked the line on the PP and looked like he was capable of QB duties and maybe got his shot off a couple of times, hesitated once.
I agree with this. Not sure how anyone could have determined him being heavy footed lol. He looks best with the puck on his stick. I think he is still getting used to his gap control, and pace of play. but he has looked good in my mind

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Showed me nothing so far. Nowhere near as dynamic as he looked overseas.

BUT he has plenty of time to change that impression and it could just be nerves/caution.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Showed me nothing so far. Nowhere near as dynamic as he looked overseas.

BUT he has plenty of time to change that impression and it could just be nerves/caution.

Guys like him unfortunately will likely be impacted the worst by lack of any preseason games. Keefe and coaches have had to contend with need to ease him into the systems with the reality that in a shortened season every win matters so guys get on tight leashes

Edit:typo

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad