Player Discussion Mikkel Boedker

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Will probably play on our top line though. That's the issue. He'll probably have a career year but his numbers will be dismal for a top line guy. Greening +.

Thiiiis.

Of course Boedker's numbers are gonna be better if he plays with Duchene. Any player's would. What we needed was a real top-6 goal scorer to replace the one we gave away. One who could score 30 goals even without depending on a #1 C.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Will probably play on our top line though. That's the issue. He'll probably have a career year but his numbers will be dismal for a top line guy. Greening +.
How can he have a career year and have dismal numbers for a first line guy? A career year would be >51 pts which would be in line with lower end 1st line production, certainly not dismal or Greening like...

I could see him ending the season in this to high 40s which would be a little disapointing if you had great expectations (I don't). If he has a career year, hopefully we can flip him at the deadline.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So, why exactly are we trying to sabotage our top line by forcing Boedker on it? Just for a chance to get a slightly better offer in a trade? The guy has two years left on his deal. Who cares at this point if we keep him.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I'd rather put together the best top 6 we can out of the bodies we have. Try to get the team on track and playing as well as possible.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
How can he have a career year and have dismal numbers for a first line guy? A career year would be >51 pts which would be in line with lower end 1st line production, certainly not dismal or Greening like...

I could see him ending the season in this to high 40s which would be a little disapointing if you had great expectations (I don't). If he has a career year, hopefully we can flip him at the deadline.
19 goals is his career high, I could see him hitting that. 40ish points, 19-20 goals while getting fed top minutes, linemates, PP time. Pretty bad for anyone in that position. That's what he was in his prime in Phoenix while getting fed on a similarly talentless team as with a regressive coach. He's past his prime now so that may be asking too much of him. I expect him to crack 30 points, but that's my limit on expectations.

The guy he was traded for will outscore him goal wise in the double digits.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Seems inconsistent... 26 and 37 last 2 years ... I think he's a 3rd liner that can fill in on the 2nd line but ideally is on the 3rd line... He'll fit right in on the Sens

So not on the first line but somewhere on the 3 fourth lines we will ice this year?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I feel like he will be Michalek 2.0 for us...(not the 35 goal scorer Michalek though)
Yeah Michalek from 2013-15 is what I'm expecting.

Not a guy you want in your top 6, but a capable place holder, though he has 0 future for the team whatsoever (hence the "why the f*** did we want him, what's our plan?")

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's all so convoluted but I believe Boedker is on this team because that is all PD could get for Hoffman in the open market given the situation & Hoffman had to go to appease the captain who it seems they thought at the time would stay. IMO Boedker is a transition piece until the younger players are NHL ready & can replace him in a yr or two. I expect he could put up 30 to 40 pts but who knows. He's not the player I would have wanted but he may have been all that was offered at the time & PD had to do something to try & rectify an impossible situation. It's another example of the Senators Curse it seems.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Him playing on the top line wouldn’t be an issue. It would actually make sense
Perhaps it would make sense, but it certainly would be an organizational issue. If Boedker is your best LW option, your team is incredibly thin. Basically asking a third line calibre player to play up is similar to other issues we have like Borowiecki likely being asked to be a top 4 guy.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Perhaps it would make sense, but it certainly would be an organizational issue. If Boedker is your best LW option, your team is incredibly thin. Basically asking a third line calibre player to play up is similar to other issues we have like Borowiecki likely being asked to be a top 4 guy.

Yeah, but we already know we’re thin on LW.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So, why exactly are we trying to sabotage our top line by forcing Boedker on it? Just for a chance to get a slightly better offer in a trade? The guy has two years left on his deal. Who cares at this point if we keep him.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I'd rather put together the best top 6 we can out of the bodies we have. Try to get the team on track and playing as well as possible.

Ask a legitimate question, and then jump off the cliff right after before getting an answer. Well if you can still log on from down there here is the answer:

Because he has a short history of excellent play and chemistry with Duchene.

Obviously the smart money is on giving that relationship a chance to spark again.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's all so convoluted but I believe Boedker is on this team because that is all PD could get for Hoffman in the open market given the situation & Hoffman had to go to appease the captain who it seems they thought at the time would stay. IMO Boedker is a transition piece until the younger players are NHL ready & can replace him in a yr or two. I expect he could put up 30 to 40 pts but who knows. He's not the player I would have wanted but he may have been all that was offered at the time & PD had to do something to try & rectify an impossible situation. It's another example of the Senators Curse it seems.

And the good thing about him is that he can play on the top line with a known linemate with known good chemistry. This allows the kids to have sheltered minutes and lets them grow. As they grow MB can slide down the line up and provide solid NHL play on the defensive end as he goes even as his offence drops. He can also play anywhere in a pinch which is valuable.

Reactions: aragorn

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Thiiiis.

Of course Boedker's numbers are gonna be better if he plays with Duchene. Any player's would. What we needed was a real top-6 goal scorer to replace the one we gave away. One who could score 30 goals even without depending on a #1 C.

When did Hoffman score 30 goals without depending on a #1C?

He certainly has the potential to do so, hasn’t happened yet though.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Dzingel
Boedker
MPS
Smith

Lord. Is there a worse group of LWers in the league? Just glancing around, Edmonton if you don't count Draisaitl or NYR. Yeesh. Even teams like Buffalo and Montreal are significantly better.

Tkachuk, Formenton, Chlapik all coming up.

Boedker plays RW too I believe.

Maybe we see something like this eventually:
Dzingel-Duchene-White
Boedker-Brown-Ryan
Tkachuk-Pageau-Stone

One young guy on every line.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Dzingel
Boedker
MPS
Smith

Lord. Is there a worse group of LWers in the league? Just glancing around, Edmonton if you don't count Draisaitl or NYR. Yeesh. Even teams like Buffalo and Montreal are significantly better.

Our blueline doesn’t inspire much confidence either.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Boedker Duchene Ryan
Tkachuk Brown Dzingel
Smith White Stone
Pajaarvi Pageau Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot Karlsson
Wolanin Ceci
Borowiecki Wideman
Harpur

Reactions: Sensinitis

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk, Formenton, Chlapik all coming up.

Boedker plays RW too I believe.

Maybe we see something like this eventually:
Dzingel-Duchene-White
Boedker-Brown-Ryan
Tkachuk-Pageau-Stone

One young guy on every line.

Boedker shoots left & is listed as a LWer which is where you correctly placed him. I expect that they trade Pyatt, Paajarvi, one of Smith or Pageau or both, Wideman & whoever else he is able to move including a goalie leading up to the trade deadline to make room for the younger players. I also think that Tkachuck should get 9 games before being sent down to the minors or junior. I expect that Formenton will be returned to junior after a few games too.

I assume the roster that starts the season will be vastly different from the roster that ends the season, at least I hope so & Ottawa has moved at least half a dozen players. IMO there are two forward positions open to start the yr & White has one of those to lose & one defensive spot which I think is Wolanin's to lose. Paul should be given every opportunity to win & keep the other forward spot given his age & time with the org, up to him to keep it or go back to the AHL.

By December:
Boedker - Duchene - Stone
Dzingel - Pageau - Ryan
Paajarvi - White - Pyatt
Paul - Smith - McCormick/

Chabot - EK
Wolanin - Ceci
Boro - Wideman/Harpur

Anderson - Condon

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events