Player Discussion Mikkel Boedker

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Well, call me crazy but I'm actually looking forward to seeing where he fits into the lineup. All the histrionics about him being a cap dump, etc are ridiculous. I've always liked him, I want to see what he can do with some good line mates. Much better than some late draft picks but apparently that's not the popular opinion.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Well, call me crazy but I'm actually looking forward to seeing where he fits into the lineup. All the histrionics about him being a cap dump, etc are ridiculous. I've always liked him, I want to see what he can do with some good line mates. Much better than some late draft picks but apparently that's not the popular opinion.

SJ has been trying to dump him for a year & is described as a massive flop.
Of course he’s a cap dump, though I guess your perspective is that one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Hope your right, and of course I’m exaggerating that he’s trash but really he’s 3/4th liner with good speed , a victor stalhberg - but making 4 million

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I do wonder if Boedker on SJ was a bit of a square peg/round hole situation, and he might be able to bounce back to being a good 2nd line forward here.
(I don't expect much though)

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

He’s had a couple of 50 point seasons so far. It’s possible he was just a bad fit in San Jose. Maybe a fresh start does him some good. He will likely be in our top 6 and get PP time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Of course he’s a cap dump, though I guess your perspective is that one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Hope your right, and of course I’m exaggerating that he’s trash but really he’s 3/4th liner with good speed , a victor stalhberg - but making 4 million

Boedker scored 15 goals and 37 pts in 75 games last year, Stalberg averaged 21.5 pts per 82 games over his last 4 seasons

Boedker didn't work out in SJ (particularly in year 1 of his deal), but had no issues producing in Colorado or Arizona. There's certainly a chance he can produce 40-50 pts (assuming 82 games) for us , and if he allows us to move on from Smith, that's a massive upgrade imo.

I still hate the trade, but Boedker is a Sen now, no need to hold the crappy Hoffman situation against him. He's getting far too much crap for a guy who's only crime is not working out in SJ and being the piece sent our way in a lopsided deal.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

He is alot closer to Dzingel than Stalberg.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
A 3rd line 200’ player that is fast? Always need those.

Just have to ignore the Hoffman aspect and concentrate on the fact that he’s only costing the team $3M. It’s okay if you look at it that way.
Also, he has chemistry with Duchene. Whether they will ever be on the ice at the same time is something different.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
On a decent team .. yah well Boucher had Burrows in the top 6 on this team at times so... that is no way a good NHL measuring stick

Boedker had 51 points just a couple of years ago. Maybe he can get back to that here. Even if he’s a 40 point guy, he’s a top 6er.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boedker had 51 points just a couple of years ago. Maybe he can get back to that here. Even if he’s a 40 point guy, he’s a top 6er.
Seems inconsistent... 26 and 37 last 2 years ... I think he's a 3rd liner that can fill in on the 2nd line but ideally is on the 3rd line... He'll fit right in on the Sens

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Where does this come from? He's barely played with Duchene... like 67 mins or so, that's about 5 games worth. He mostly played with MacKinnon I think.
Ha. I am repeating something I heard and was reinforced with the clips that they were playing on the radio of him scoring from a pass from Duchene. I was all impressed. Lol

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It's unfair, but all I'm gonna see in this guy is a massive downgrade and a disappointing end of a really stupid episode.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Seems inconsistent... 26 and 37 last 2 years ... I think he's a 3rd liner that can fill in on the 2nd line but ideally is on the 3rd line... He'll fit right in on the Sens

That’s probably fair. He’s either on a down slope, or he just didn’t for in with the Sharks. Hopefully he can bounce back here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Seemed pretty consistent prior to moving to SJ

12-13 (22 yrs old): 44.5 pts pace
13-14 (23 yrs old): 51 pts pace
14-15 (24 yrs old): 51 pts pace
15-16 (25 yrs old): 52 pts pace

He got a lot more opportunity in Arz and Col, he'll get that here too, but our system might not be conducive to him scoring more than ~40 pts.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think it's important to not overrate his ability away from the puck. If he's a defensive upgrade on Hoffman it's marginal at best. He's certainly not going to be killing penalties or taking hard defensive match-ups.

His most productive seasons have come in years when he was able to get plenty of PP time. His EV production has been relatively consistent, but San Jose just had too many better options to justify giving him those soft PP minutes. He'll probably get plenty of PP time here and could see a bump in his numbers.

Looks like a pretty classic 'bad team scorer'. He'll probably do well enough here.

Potential pump-and-dump candidate at the 2020 deadline.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it's important to not overrate his ability away from the puck. If he's a defensive upgrade on Hoffman it's marginal at best. He's certainly not going to be killing penalties or taking hard defensive match-ups.

His most productive seasons have come in years when he was able to get plenty of PP time. His EV production has been relatively consistent, but San Jose just had too many better options to justify giving him those soft PP minutes. He'll probably get plenty of PP time here and could see a bump in his numbers.

Looks like a pretty classic 'bad team scorer'. He'll probably do well enough here.

Potential pump-and-dump candidate at the 2020 deadline.

Agree about the pump and dump, but I think the gap defensively between him and Hoffman is bigger than you're giving credit for. He's not a defensive stud by any means, but Hoffman could look lost at times, and gave questionable effort far too often. Boedker will be a improvement though no where near enough to make up the difference offensively.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I would guess most of us are just stat watching with him unless some on here actually watch a lot of late night Coyotes and Sharks games.
I know I didn’t think much of MacArthur when we signed him. Same with when we traded for Methot. Also thought Duchene wasn’t much of an upgrade on Turris. There are examples the other way, too, thinking a player would be better than he ended up being.
I’m hoping Boedker was a bad fit in San Jose. I know he’s not as good of a goal scorer as Hoffman but I’ll let him prove to me the type of player he is by his play. Hoping for the best.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

His role was dramatically reduced playing Pete Deboer's system in SJ compared to Arizona and his short stint in Colorado. He averaged 4-5 minutes less a game in SJ.

The concern is that Boucher will probably deploy him similar to Deboer, but if he is given more minutes I think he can fill in admirably. I'm not expecting 20 goals from him, but I'd say 45 points is a best case scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad